PDA

View Full Version : 30/60 Tiny Pot

ALL1N
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (1.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

A bit ambitious for a small pot?? Just bet the river??

spamuell
05-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Don't you usually bet the turn here? I basically always do. Was the aim to induce a bluff so you could raise it?

As for the river, I almost never do this in a tiny pot (I may have done it once) but I don't see why you can't, you're putting in 2 to win 2.5 and I bet this works more than half the time.

EDIT: And sometimes he calls and you split

krishanleong
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you usually bet the turn here? I basically always do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a particular good turn card to bluff at. I check-fold the river. Betting is okay as well. Check-raising it is getting fancy.

Krishan

spamuell
05-18-2005, 10:22 AM
This isn't a particular good turn card to bluff at.

Why not? It's an incredibly scary card but if it improved the sb he probably would have bet and if it improved UTG then he probably would have bet the flop when it was checked to him, he probably has an underpair and is going to have a tough time calling on a board like that.

krishanleong
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ideal turn card is one that doesn't create any additional draws and pairs the board. A good turn card is one that is a blank, like a 2. A bad turn card completes a draw. A really bad turn card completes a 4 cards straight effectively hitting two cards instead of the normal one while also putting a flush draw on the board.

Krishan

spamuell
05-18-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ideal turn card is one that doesn't create any additional draws and pairs the board. A good turn card is one that is a blank, like a 2. A bad turn card completes a draw. A really bad turn card completes a 4 cards straight effectively hitting two cards instead of the normal one while also putting a flush draw on the board.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

But the point is that your opponents knows this too, they can read the board, and it's going to be very hard for them to call down here. I expect to pick up this pot by betting a lot.

krishanleong
05-18-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

But the point is that your opponents knows this too, they can read the board, and it's going to be very hard for them to call down here. I expect to pick up this pot by betting a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying the turn card doesn't matter? And that a bet picks up the pot enough to bet everytime? Therefore it doesn't matter if the turn card is good or bad? I don't agree if that is what you are saying.

I'm saying a turn bluff is not always +EV. I prefer to pick favorable situations. This isn't one.

Krishan

Wynton
05-18-2005, 10:41 AM
I tend to agree with Krishan here. That turn card is not just a scare card, but a scare card that is likely to hit someone. For that reason, it seems likely that the raise will be called.

spamuell
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying the turn card doesn't matter? And that a bet picks up the pot enough to bet everytime? Therefore it doesn't matter if the turn card is good or bad? I don't agree if that is what you are saying.

I didn't really think about it but yeah I would probably bet every turn card, which sounds wrong, so you're probably right.