PDA

View Full Version : Gigabet vs Negreanu?

bluesbassman
05-18-2005, 08:18 AM
I think Gigabet should take on Daniel Negreanu's open challenge:

Negreanu's Open Challenge (http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forums/viewtopic.php?t=11498&start=0)

Surely he has the bankroll, and if not, I'd wager a number of 2+2ers would be willing to stake him... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lorinda
05-18-2005, 08:19 AM
I don't see why anyone would take it.

It involves being in the same room as Negreanu for more than five minutes.

Lori

Glenn
05-18-2005, 08:23 AM
great post

Iamafish
05-18-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Surely he has the bankroll, and if not, I'd wager a number of 2+2ers would be willing to stake him... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt Gigabet is worth several million.

viennagreen
05-18-2005, 09:15 AM
did you read Negreanu's open challenge before posting?

Nottom
05-18-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you htink he didn't?

Let's say Gigabet has $Million BR now. Do you think it would be a good idea to risk 10% of that on what is probably a coinflip at best?

bluesbassman
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, what's your point?

Given that Gigabet recently posted a 100K win hand history from a Party Step Higher tourney, it seems feasible he could afford to take on Negreanu for that amount.

Voltron87
05-18-2005, 10:20 AM
This is not going to happen for so many reasons.

Voltron87
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, what's your point?

Given that Gigabet recently posted a 100K win hand history from a Party Step Higher tourney, it seems feasible he could afford to take on Negreanu for that amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 100K =/= being bankrolled for this.

Paluka
05-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I actually think there is a lot of upside to playing Negrean for 100k. The publicty you would get for being an unknown, challenging him and beating him would likely be worth something.

viennagreen
05-18-2005, 10:40 AM
the statement "i doubt gigabet is worth several million" seemed to be not relevant to the open challenge, and i deducted (sensed weakness) that the poster had a lack of understanding regarding the challenge... sometimes i'm wrong, but right now i still feel that i was probably correct in my read.

and 10% of your bankroll is not very much.

to illustrate how little 10% of your bankroll is---- how many buy-ins for the 50+5s is in your bankroll nottom? a conservative player like me might have 100 buy-ins. And a 10 buy-in drop happens on a regular basis....

should the frequency of a 10% drop in my bankroll lead me to increase my roll to 200 buy-ins? or is 10% not THAT much to be concerned about?

and regardless--- i neither suggested or recommended that anyone risk 10% of their bankroll on even a 60:40 shot.

1C5
05-18-2005, 10:41 AM
That point is true.

bluesbassman
05-18-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, what's your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 100K =/= being bankrolled for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I agree with you that it's not the same, but it's feasible. If Gigabet plays Negreanu for 100K and loses, then his remaining bankroll should be about the same (neglecting all other action) as if he had lost the Step Higher tourney he posted. Presumably, a loss in that tourney would not have crippled his bankroll. Also, playing for 100K one time is not equivalent to repeatedly risking those stakes.

I just want to see the battle. My money would be on Gigabet. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

UMTerp
05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Does Giga even play cash games? I'd think he could find a better spot to invest $100K than this...

bluesbassman
05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the statement "i doubt gigabet is worth several million" seemed to be not relevant to the open challenge, and i deducted (sensed weakness) that the poster had a lack of understanding regarding the challenge... sometimes i'm wrong, but right now i still feel that i was probably correct in my read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not only a fish at poker, I'm dumb as a post. (I'm not kidding.) Please explain my misunderstanding of the open challenge.

Ryendal
05-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Do you have an idea on how old Gigabet is ?

What is his real name ?

bluesbassman
05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does Giga even play cash games? I'd think he could find a better spot to invest $100K than this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Could the challenger request a heads-up tournament format? I see nothing specified in the open challenge description which forbids it.

Yes, Gigabet could find a better spot to risk 100K... but it might not be as much fun, especially for all the railbirds.

Maulik
05-18-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you htink he didn't?

Let's say Gigabet has $Million BR now. Do you think it would be a good idea to risk 10% of that on what is probably a coinflip at best?

[/ QUOTE ]

limit HE wouldn't be a coinflip, most of those games wouldn't be flipping coins

Voltron87
05-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know Gigabet's favorite ice cream flavor? How tall is he?

Come on, let's not turn this into the WPT forum.

Bluff Daddy
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Come on, let's not turn this into the WPT forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

strawberry, and he eats it while he plays helps him focus

nWirb
05-18-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have an idea on how old Gigabet is ?

What is his real name ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His name is Darrel Dickens, he's 32.
He is 183 cms tall and likes vanilla ice cream the most.

teamdonkey
05-18-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His name is Darrel Dickens, he's 32.

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't own Dickens Cider does he? I love that stuff!

Sponger15SB
05-18-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually think there is a lot of upside to playing Negrean for 100k. The publicty you would get for being an unknown, challenging him and beating him would likely be worth something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he did just finish off the final table of a mirage WPT undercard event so he might not be totally unknown. He had a pretty good chip lead, so lets pretend he won the $145,680.... he should walk into the Wynn and challenge Daniel with exactly that much money!

Now that would be a story. "Amateur unknown internet poker player takes on best in the world and parlays $2k entry into $300,000!" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Of course this is all stupid because there are much better things to do with all that money than to challenge one of the best in the world to a HU freezeout.

Nottom
05-18-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

limit HE wouldn't be a coinflip, most of those games wouldn't be flipping coins

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of edge do you think gigabet would have over DN at whatever he felt was his best game?

I know its not literally a coin flip but you are wrong if you think Giga has more than a tiny edge at any game against DN and he is likely an underdog at them all (although probably not a very big one).

Voltron87
05-18-2005, 12:35 PM
the only way gigabet has a big enough advantage to play against danny (assuming he has the BR and feels comfortable, I have no idea about his finances) would be if gigabet knew some specifics about danny's play and had knowledge of his opponent and danny knew nothing about this unknown internet challenger and had to go by dead reckoning and make it up as he went along.

VoraciousReader
05-18-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course this is all stupid because there are much better things to do with all that money than to challenge one of the best in the world to a HU freezeout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any MYTH Inc fans here? If I had 100K burning a hole in my pocket, I could challenge Daniel to the NL Hold'Em and shove all my chips in 1st hand...

If I win, I'm the champ at Dragon Poker! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ononimo
05-18-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

to illustrate how little 10% of your bankroll is---- how many buy-ins for the 50+5s is in your bankroll nottom? a conservative player like me might have 100 buy-ins. And a 10 buy-in drop happens on a regular basis....

should the frequency of a 10% drop in my bankroll lead me to increase my roll to 200 buy-ins? or is 10% not THAT much to be concerned about?

[/ QUOTE ]

if 10% of your bankroll really isn't that much, why does your bankroll have 100 buy-ins instead of just 10?

ononimo
05-18-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, he did just finish off the final table of a mirage WPT undercard event so he might not be totally unknown. He had a pretty good chip lead, so lets pretend he won the $145,680....

[/ QUOTE ]

He took 3rd place - $36K

Degen
05-18-2005, 01:03 PM
i'll take $100 of Giga

Andre

J-Lo
05-18-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and regardless--- i neither suggested or recommended that anyone risk 10% of their bankroll on even a 60:40 shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if anyone has adressed this. The higher you go the larger the swings are because the edges are smaller. Having 100 buyins for the $55's is MUCH different than have 100 buyins for the $1,000 step 5 tourneys which is MUCH different than having 100 buyins for $100,000 HU matches.

You need more buyins the higher you go because if u do go broke, making that bankroll is VERY VERY hard for anyone. Compared to scrapping together $5k for 100 buyins at the $55's.

Also, you have to look at the money in terms of monetary value, not % of your bankroll. $100,000 can be spent elsewhere with much less risk, and much higher return. I think giga would rather play 7 higher step 5's than 1 $100,000 HU match vs one of the best in the world.

Voltron87
05-18-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if anyone has adressed this. The higher you go the larger the swings are because the edges are smaller. Having 100 buyins for the $55's is MUCH different than have 100 buyins for the $1,000 step 5 tourneys which is MUCH different than having 100 buyins for $100,000 HU matches.

You need more buyins the higher you go because if u do go broke, making that bankroll is VERY VERY hard for anyone. Compared to scrapping together $5k for 100 buyins at the $55's.

Also, you have to look at the money in terms of monetary value, not % of your bankroll. $100,000 can be spent elsewhere with much less risk, and much higher return. I think giga would rather play 7 higher step 5's than 1 $100,000 HU match vs one of the best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put

bluesbassman
05-18-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, obviously taking on Negreanu makes little sense from purely an ROI vs bankroll risk standpoint. Nevertheless, it might be worth it to an unknown player for the experience, notoriety, and potential monetary gain beyond the stakes if he wins. Implied odds, one might say.

Of course that's easy for me to say, given that my bankroll and skill level is so small, I get excited to win $100 from a $22 SnG. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

treeofwisdom7
05-18-2005, 03:54 PM
i play limit holdem HU all the time. more skill involved than STT,MTT,NL, and some other games i played. that said i wouldnt buy a stake in Gigabet because i dont know if hes any good at HU/limit.

viennagreen
05-19-2005, 08:45 AM
huh?

i know that you're trying to be a wise-ass, but you're not proving or making any points... your example/question of 10 buy-ins is silly because a person's risk-of-ruin is so high that a 10 buy-in roll is suicide to begin with.

many people advocate having 30 buy-ins for your bankroll... in that case, only a 3 buy-in drop = -10% of your bankroll, and it doesn't seem to bother them... a drop of three buy-ins happens with such frequency that -10% must not be a big deal for them either (or else they would pad their roll, or wait to move up in limits)

so-- the reason why i have a 100 buy-in bankroll? because although losing 10% of my bankroll isn't a big deal, losing 50% is... a 10 buy-in swing isn't too bad.... a 20 or 30 buy-in swing can be psychologically devastating, especially if you're underfunded...

if i can expect to run into a 10 buy-in downswing with frequency, then surely it would be idiotic to only have a 10 buy-in roll....

if you were trying to make a point, i have clearly missed it.

viennagreen
05-19-2005, 08:49 AM
it's possible that you are viewing the forums in a "flat" view, and, if so, i would wager that your misunderstanding arises from that.

as far as i know, you haven't indicated a misunderstanding of negreanu's challenge