PDA

View Full Version : Bush calls for "justice and peace"

09-11-2001, 08:54 PM
I'm not feeling particularly peaceful. What do you think of the tone of Bush's address? How long before he succumbs to political pressure to use harsher rhetoric and military action?

09-11-2001, 09:12 PM
He stated (paraphrased) "We will make no distinction between those who committed the acts and those who harbor the people responsible for the acts".

I support him 100% in his decision not to lay blame at this early stage or to do anything rash (as some have suggested) such as indiscriminately bombing "suspected" terrorist locations or capitals of known terrorist sympathizers.

A rash decision at this juncture would be terrible. How horrible would it be for the U.S. to perpetrate innocent civilians deaths in a "misunderstanding"? Unacceptable.

But Bush's paraphrased quote above can only have one interpretation, if you ask me. They will make sure they have evidence, they're going to line their ducks up in a row, and then right or wrong it's going to get ugly for somebody. So if you want some violence, I believe you will get it, but probably not by tomorrow's evening news.

natedogg

09-11-2001, 09:30 PM
The statement equating the terrorists to those who harbor them was a big threat. He's talking about ideas we discussed below. The national security boys are planning stuff, and I wouldn't want to be in Kabul.(Not that I would have yesterday when they were just persecuting Christians or destoying priceless Buddhist artifacts.)

09-11-2001, 09:38 PM
I think Bush's response was measured and good. We should focus right now on helping the injured and preventing more attacks...when the government finds out more we can initiate a large, organized, and brutal response.

09-12-2001, 01:49 AM
I agree. What Bush said was clearly the right thing to say.

09-12-2001, 01:53 AM
I did notice the threat in Bush's statement about not distinguishing between the perpetrators and those who harbor them. I was initially disappointed by the soft tone of his overall speech, but I suppose it was appropriate at this early stage. I certainly agree it would be a mistake for the United States to act impulsively without evidence and preparation.

Mike

09-12-2001, 05:20 AM
Michael,

I thought President Bush's response was very appropriate given the situation. He made clear what our stance is and I am confident he will be swift yet responsible when evidence supports a conclusion as to whom was responsible. Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the actions, I WILL without question support them 100%. I am behind our government and feel we as a nation need to be united.

I mourn for all of those who have lost. They are all in my prayers and thoughts.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D. (Soccer/Sucker Mike D.)

09-12-2001, 05:47 PM
Bush is now referring to the attacks as an "act of war," and the overall tone of his statements and those of his representatives has been turned up a notch or three.