PDA

View Full Version : hand ranking by percent

bosulli
05-18-2005, 05:04 AM
I have seen tables that rank hands giving a percentage probability to win against a certain number of opponents.

Is opponents defined as the number of players that are dealt a hand, or how many come in on the initial betting round.

For example - the table I am using has the percent of winning with AA agianst 9 opponents at 31.1% and agianst 2 players is 73.4%. 10 players are dealt a hand. On the initial betting round I raise UTG with AA, and 7 players fold. So, what should I consider to be my percentage of winning if I start with 9 opponents, then 7 players fold inferior hands.

gaming_mouse
05-18-2005, 07:00 AM
These tables determine these percentages by dealing out cards to the number of opponents in question, dealing out the entire board, and then seeing who wins. So the important thing to notice is that NOBODY EVER FOLDS in these calculations. Clearly an unrealistic assumption.

Also, perhaps even important, these charts tell you only how often you can expect a hand to win at showdown. They don't tell you what you really want to know: how much MONEY can you expect the hand to win? For example, suited connectors do not win as often as AA, but the pots they do win tend to be very large, if you are playing them correctly, so these kinds of simulations will undervalue their true worth.

The bottom line is that these charts are of little value, and you are much better off following the guidelines set forth in well respected books by expert players.

bosulli
05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the insight.

I became interested in the table when trying to develop a methodology for in all-in showdowns in NL cash and tournament games.

gaming_mouse
05-19-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the insight.

I became interested in the table when trying to develop a methodology for in all-in showdowns in NL cash and tournament games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. They do have more value in this situation, but still not as much value as, eg, player reads.

For example:

The pot is raised to 4 bets, and there are a few callers. The button pushes all in, and you hold JJ in the BB.

Well, obviously, if you know the button is a tight nit who only pushes all in with AA, this is quite a different story from the button who will frequently bluff here to try to pick up the pot.

In particular, you want to know what percent of equity JJ has against the *range* of hands button could push all in with here. Knowing that mathematical number is very important. But of course, determining the range to begin with is a matter of reading the button, watching his play, etc.

Then there is the matter of the limpers, and what range they might have, to further complicate the issue.