PDA

View Full Version : multitabling?

therockofgibraltar
05-18-2005, 03:53 AM
How can I learn to play multiple tables? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have tried BUT I get much better results playing only one table at the time. I can concentrate on read etc.

How can you follow all the acting when playing like 4 tables? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Should I stick with one table until my PT stats are green?!

Kumubou
05-18-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can I learn to play multiple tables? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Just do it.

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried BUT I get much better results playing only one table at the time. I can concentrate on read etc.

How can you follow all the acting when playing like 4 tables? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You will play better only focusing on one table at a time -- the reason people multitable is because the increase in BBs an hour is more than worth the drop in BBs per 100 hands.

As for following the action, it just comes with experience. It is easier if you can just-frame your raises, though. Being able to see all four tables at once with no overlap is also really nice (1600x1200 that [censored]!)

[ QUOTE ]
Should I stick with one table until my PT stats are green?!

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, yeah. If you can not play winning poker on one table, there is no way in hell you are doing it at four.

-K

lionhorse
05-18-2005, 04:20 AM
I'd suggest starting off with 2 tables, then when you feel comfortable adding another, etc. Although, yeah, you want to be a winning player first.

2+2 wannabe
05-18-2005, 04:32 AM
what's "multitabling"? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

therockofgibraltar
05-18-2005, 04:43 AM
heck, I thought it was a word /images/graemlins/grin.gif

2+2 wannabe
05-18-2005, 04:46 AM
is it where you play more than one table? people actually do that? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

thesharpie
05-18-2005, 06:57 AM
Once you've played a few thousand hands 1 tabling and feel comfortable try 2. Once you've made enough 2 tabling to afford a nice monitor you can try 3, then 4, then... Or you could just deal wit' overlap. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

k000k
05-18-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is it where you play more than one table? people actually do that? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, 4-tabling is very common. Some players even play 8-12 tables at once. Get pokertracker and GameTime+ or PlayerView, and you don't need to keep track of reads, you have a heads up display next to everyone's seat at each table that includes VP$IP, PFR, AF, bb/100, WtSD%, whatever stats you want.

friends
05-18-2005, 08:16 AM
But how do you deal with more than one table?
Yesterday I played on two tables (usually I do with them well). On one table AKo! I raise, after 10 second of game, on second table AKo! When I was on the flop calculating my probabilities, the second table rung and interrupted my thinking, etc.: bang from one table, then from another (I was absolutely confused). At the end I was beaten on both tables and lost lots of BBs.
What would you do in this case?
I decided in the future to sit out the first table, while playing on the second.
What about opponents studying when playing 4 tables? Is it possible?

jrz1972
05-18-2005, 08:40 AM
If you find that you need to stop and think through the probabilities and pot odds on every flop, then you're probably not ready to multitable.

That's not an insult, because all players have to work their way through the stage where they conciously think to themselves "I have middle pair, an overcard, and a backdoor flush draw. My middle pair is worth five outs and my backdoor flush draw is worth 1.5 outs for a total of about 6.5 outs. The pot is currently 9 sbs. I am a 6.2:1 underdog but I'm being offered 9:1 odds to call this bet, so it is +EV to call. I call." After you've gotten more hands under your belt, you don't really have to think through these sorts of routine situations; you just know what to do. Once you get to this point, it is very easy to flip from table to table because most decisions are automatic.

k000k
05-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Sure it's possible. You need to be able to look at your cards, the pot size, the board cards, how many players are in, their stats, and be able to make a split second decision on odds, where you stand, and what you need to do to. It just takes practice and experience.

Marquis
05-18-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday I played on two tables (usually I do with them well). On one table AKo! I raise, after 10 second of game, on second table AKo!

[/ QUOTE ]

I snapped a screenshot the other day where I had AK, AQ, KK and KQ all at the same time. (I realize this is probably not a big deal to the 4+ tablers). It didn't even phase me. If I could add a couple more tables without overlap, I would.

silkyslim
05-18-2005, 09:56 AM
is middle pair worth 5 outs because you have 2 outs for trips and 3 outs for 2 pair? just checking

therockofgibraltar
05-18-2005, 10:01 AM
yep

friends
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Ok I understood, I need practice, but:
1)But I see flop in 25-30%, and sometimes I get bored waiting for 10 minites for the worth hand. And when I catch it, I press “sit out” on the second table, is it ok?
2)What about studying the opponents with 4 tables, is it really matters on such limits, is it possible at all to keep in mind 36 opponents at once?

davelin
05-18-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I understood, I need practice, but:
1)But I see flop in 25-30%, and sometimes I get bored waiting for 10 minites for the worth hand. And when I catch it, I press “sit out” on the second table, is it ok?
2)What about studying the opponents with 4 tables, is it really matters on such limits, is it possible at all to keep in mind 36 opponents at once?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things -

1) There's no way you'll be able to get 100% the same reads on opponents multi-tabling than you do single-tabling. But with practice you can get better. I tend to focus on opponents that see the flop and showdown often. Playerview or GT+ helps identify these opponents and thus identify the opponents you're most likely to play against. You don't have time to watch every single player so don't worry about the other 15% VPIP person who you most likely will not tangle with often.

2) Auto-buttons can be very useful. Don't think that you using the Bet/Raise button gives your opponents too much information, if that indeed is the case, something isn't right with your game.

3) If you see about 25% of flops, that still means you're not likely to be involved in multiple hands. I wouldn't sit out on your other tables when you're active on another. With the blinds coming around, there's a cost associated with each hand dealt although it may not seem like it.

4) Get used to playing certain situations and hands almost automatically. Reads are nice and good, but IMO most hands will be pretty ABC and you won't need to use your reads super-often. You absolutely MUST learn how to estimate outs quickly and pot odds. You don't have to have to the 3 decimal point, but just have a good feel whether or not the pot is big enough to call.

5) Having a big monitor where you can see all of the action helps.

6) Using the Last Hand feature on Party helps a lot. At the very least, you can see what type of hands your opponents see the flop with (and maybe raise or cold-call) and what they'll go to showdown with.

7) Practice, practice, practice. Start with one table at a time, no need to jump to four. Add in a table at a lower-level if you need to.

lionhorse
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What about opponents studying when playing 4 tables? Is it possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say so, even though I'm quadding, there is a fair bit of sitting around... you've just got to watch out for when you hit a hand on 3 boards at once... but even while 4 tabling I can manage 2 conversations on MSN and occasionally checking my opponents hand history.

It took a while though, start out with 2, play 1000 hands, then try for 3. Soon you'll be 4 tabling without breaking sweat.