PDA

View Full Version : Why did I bet this turn?

Alobar
05-18-2005, 02:41 AM
10/20 on a non party site (dont ask, I'm not telling)

5 handed and its folded to the SB who just complets. Now he likes to play alot of hands, and likes to bluff bet. He isnt super aggresive with raises, but loves to take shots at the pot. Will call down a PFR and a cold caller the whole way, to bet into them both on the river, with nothing. Stuff like that. Anyway, im the BB and I raise. He calls

Flop comes AJ4r

He bets, I call.

Turn is a K that completes the ranbow

He checks, I bet

I don't like my bet here. The large majority of the time, he is only calling me here with a hand that beats me, and is folding hands that have almost no hope against me.

I like a check here, which hopefully induces a river bluff.

This is prolly super obvious to everyone else, and im just a slow learner. But I thought this was a good case of having to get past the strong "value bet against the donk" urge that we have all learned. So I thought it worthy of a post.

Or am I wrong on both fronts, Its not worthy of a post, AND checking is stupid.

juggernaut
05-18-2005, 03:00 AM
What were you holding?

Alobar
05-18-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What were you holding?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, wow...im a tard

edit: crap, now its been to long and I cant go back and edit it.

I had TT

wheelz
05-18-2005, 03:17 AM
Now that I can see what you had, yeah I definitely hate the turn bet. Textbook WA/WB

dhaimon
05-18-2005, 03:18 AM
I play it the same. But I might be a tard too. Fold to a checkraise, and/or/maybe check the river.

krishanleong
05-18-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that I can see what you had, yeah I definitely hate the turn bet. Textbook WA/WB

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. You have a straight draw.

Krishan

krishanleong
05-18-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What were you holding?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible turn bet. Party because not many hands that you beat can call but also because you have a draw to the nuts which makes folding to a cr less desirable. Bet with no outs, check with outs.

Krishan

MAxx
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
i think this is a mandatory turn check based on the board, your outs, and the player description.

1)You have a showdownable hand vs this player if you check behind on turn and he leads into you on river (assuming you don't improve).

2)You have 4 outs to the nuts and a 3 potentially tainted set outs. Assuming you have 6 to 1 pot odds when facing a c/r you may have to make a thin call and fold unimproved on the river. Depending on how much you discount your T-s, and how strong you interpret villains cr...you may actually be more correct to fold to a turn cr. Getting turn checkraised here puts you in the awkard zone, and you could be setting yourself up to make a bad mistake. Especially when it can be hard to fold in heads up situations sometimes for the metagame considerations.

3) If you are currently ahead, there are not a ton of cards that fall on river to beat you. Ie... giving a free card is not tragic here.

4) I think you are more of a favorite when you do not get a call on a turn lead.

5) I think your villain will often put you in a bad spot by calling your turn lead with a K or J and punishing you by not giving you a free showdown. (When he check calls turn and donkbets river).

6)Seems like a great spot to get to a cheap showdown and encourage a bluff from a player that will often bite.