cheesecake:pie as applepie:cake

-Craig

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 02:10 AM
m-w.com:
Main Entry: cheeseˇcake
Pronunciation: -"kAk
Function: noun
1 : a dessert consisting of a creamy filling usually containing cheese baked in a pastry or pressed-crumb shell

hmm, no help

recipesource.com:

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHEESECAKE PIE

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Cheesecakes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/4 c Graham cracker crumbs -- ~18
Squares *
1/3 c Butter or margarine --
Melted
16 oz Cream cheese -- Softened
1/2 c Sugar
2 Eggs
1 t Vanilla extract
1 t Lemon juice, bottled
1 c Sour cream
2 tb Sugar
1/2 ts Vanilla extract

Combine crumbs and butter. Firmly press into bottom
and up the sides of a 9" pie plate. Chill. Blend cream
cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice. Pour
into prepared crust; bake at 325 degrees for 25
minutes. Remove from oven. Cook 5 minutes. Meanwhile,
in a small bowl, combine sour cream, sugar and
vanilla. Spread over pie, bake 5 additionalminutes.
Cool to room temperature; refrigerate at least 5 hours.

*Or use a 9" prepared graham cracker pie crust.

Recipe By :

from pastrywiz.com:

Cheesecake
Categories: Cheesecakes, Cakes, Desserts
Yield: 12 Servings

4 lg Eggs
3 tb Flour
1 1/2 c Sugar
3 tb Cornstarch
2 lb Cream cheese, softened
4 8oz. packages
2 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Butter - 1 stick softened
1 pt Sour cream
Fruit topping optional

Beat eggs in large bowl. Blend in sugar, flour and cornstarch. Add remaining ingredients blending well after each addition. Blend until smooth. Pour into 9 inch springform pan. Pan will be very full.Bake for 1 hour at 325F. Turn oven off and leave cake to cool with oven door open for another hour. Remove and refigerate.
Note: This recipe does not call for a crust. I usually use a basic graham cracker or chocolate cookie with butter crust. I have used a 10in pan for this cake as well. This is a very tall cake you can use more or less sugar to your taste. Decorate with fruit, chocolate whatever you want!
From a PTA cookbook.

so, I still don't know.

ZeeJustin
05-18-2005, 02:14 AM
www.commonsense.com (http://www.commonsense.com):
cheesecake is a type of cake, not a type of pie.

soah
05-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Wikipedia lists it as a cake rather than a pie, and I'm too lazy to do any further research than that.

Although it does have a crust, which creates the potential for confusion.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Look no further...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/poopyhead151/poll.gif

Alobar
05-18-2005, 02:20 AM
I hereby officially announce, that anyone who votes that it is a pie, is far to stupid to be allowed use of the internet. Turn off your computer, and go live in the zoo

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 02:22 AM
the majority is always right...

and 21 votes make for valid results...

I'm not convinced either way yet. Although the fact that it consists of a filling placed in a crust has always made me think of it as pie.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-18-2005, 02:26 AM
The word cake is in the name. The fact that you're still trying to figure this out confuses me.

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Main Entry: 2pie
Etymology: Middle English
1 : a meat dish baked with biscuit or pastry crust -- compare POTPIE
2 : a dessert consisting of a filling (as of fruit or custard) in a pastry shell or topped with pastry or both
3 a : AFFAIR, BUSINESS <she wanted her finger... in every possible social pie -- Mary Deasy> b : a whole regarded as divisible into shares <giving the less fortunate... a larger share of the economic pie -- R. M. Hutchins>

Main Entry: 1cake
Pronunciation: 'kAk
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse kaka; akin to Old High German kuocho cake
1 a : a breadlike food made from a dough or batter that is usually fried or baked in small flat shapes and is often unleavened b : a sweet baked food made from a dough or thick batter usually containing flour and sugar and often shortening, eggs, and a raising agent (as baking powder) c : a flattened usually round mass of food that is baked or fried <a fish cake>
2 a : a block of compacted or congealed matter <a cake of ice> b : a hard or brittle layer or deposit
- cakˇey /'kA-kE/ adjective

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 02:34 AM
while I don't know if it's cake or pie, I do know that it is delicious.

uw_madtown
05-18-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The word cake is in the name. The fact that you're still trying to figure this out confuses me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This question seemed incredibly simple to me as well. I think dude's got a point though -- according to the definitions, it appears to be a pie, not a cake.

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This question seemed incredibly simple to me as well. I think dude's got a point though -- according to the definitions, it appears to be a pie, not a cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need Sklansky to figure this one out.

Alobar
05-18-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need Sklansky to figure this one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes to busy dreaming about how he could have won the nobel prize to wonder about things as pedestrain as pie /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
05-18-2005, 03:03 AM
thick batter usually containing flour and sugar and often shortening, eggs...

Sounds like cake to me.

daveymck
05-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Does US cheesecake have pastry on the top?

Jack of Arcades
05-18-2005, 04:34 AM
I voted pie so as to not conform, you know, the same reason I listen to Built to Spill.

JaBlue
05-18-2005, 05:20 AM
Has anyone here actually had cheesecake? Everything about it is pie-like. It has a crust. The texture is remarkably similar to that of, say, pumpkin pie.

Pizza is pie. So is cheesecake.

stinkypete
05-18-2005, 05:21 AM
well, i believe the spanish call it pastel de queso, which would be cheese pie and not cheesecake. one of the few languages that has it right.

it's quite obviously a pie if you go by the definitions of pie and cake.