PDA

View Full Version : home-game no-limit structure

gomberg
05-18-2005, 01:14 AM
Ok, so how's this structure for a no-limit cash game.

Blinds $5-10. Everyone ante's $5 (8 handed). Max loss per hand is $500.

What would your strategy be? If there are many maniacs in the game, is it better to just refuse to play? Obviously the biggest mistake would be to tighten up too much preflop or fold too much postflop. Thoughts?

Big_Jim
05-18-2005, 02:06 AM
Yikes, that is a truly outrageous structure.

Assuming there's nothing you can do to change it.....

I think a LAG strategy is probably best, since every time you take down a pot it's huge. (Full game you get $60 for just a blind steal). There's gonna be some huge variance in this game, hope you catch some cards.

radioheadfan
05-18-2005, 02:55 AM
Clearly, your EV is highest when the players are willing to fold to your preflop raises and floop bets. If the opponents are maniacs or calling stations, you need good cards to win, period.

I'd play in it with maniacs/calling stations if they pay off when you hit. Although you may ante yourself to death / be forced to gamble with marginal stuff.

The best opponents for this structure would be weak-tighties.

creedofhubris
05-18-2005, 05:35 AM
This game would be insanely great if it were passive preflop, because then your optimum strategy is to limp with pretty much any 2.

Straddling would be highly +EV.

If it's too crazy, ask to put a cap on the preflop betting?

Folding too much postflop doesn't seem to me to be a big problem; it's not the absolute size of the pot that matters, just the size of the bets in proportion to the pot.

Draws go down in value unless you're allin on the flop.

GFunk911
05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Suited connectors go down, be very aggressive, etc, you know the drill. A maniac is a maniac, if you have a skill advantage you should play. Their aggression level may fit the game but you'll be a much better hand reader, etc.

This is the NL structure they use in the big game (the 4000/8000 limit rotation game plays NL 1000/2000, 1000 ante with a 100k cap). Interesting.