PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 9's with a flop of 3 Aces

monix
05-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Villian is very fishy.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB :#A500AF(Villian)/ completes, BB checks.

I am sure I have the best hand...let's go.

Flop: (3 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villian checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villian calls, BB folds.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villian calls.

River: (4.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

topspin
05-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Nice hand. Bad table selection.

Kumubou
05-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Do you see a combination of a stone-cold bluff and assclownery on the river 20% of the time here? It's probably close either way, so who knows. I wouldn't blame anyone for folding, but I wouldn't blame them if their opponent showed A6o and punched a cat, either.

Other than that, you played this hand fine. Some would argue that you should raise pre-flop, but I would not raise 99 UTG (in LP I would, though).

-K

Isura
05-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Raise preflop. Rest is good.

Isura
05-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Table is 9-handed, even more reason to raise preflop.

toss
05-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Is villain passive postflop or semiaggro? If he's very fishy and passive then I'm convinced he hit his Q and fold.

Buckmulligan
05-18-2005, 02:01 AM
It's fine but why didn't you raise preflop. Also, why are you posting this if you are so sure about your line? Post flop is obviously standard, I don't understand the post.

monix
05-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks, toss.

Looking at this in hindsight, I gave him too much credit for a bluff.

monix
05-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Buckmulligan,

Sorry; I might have been clearer. My question was about the river call.

monix
05-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Results
Hero has 9d 9c (full house, aces full of nines).
Villian has Qc Jc (full house, aces full of queens).
Outcome: Villian wins 6.50 BB.

I guess I should have folded instead of calling the river bet.

I believe a pre-flop raise is OK here, but I normally only raise with it in MP or LP. I suspect Villian in the SB calls a pre-flop raise with his hand (I would'nt though).

Thanks for the input.

thesharpie
05-18-2005, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Results
Hero has 9d 9c (full house, aces full of nines).
Villian has Qc Jc (full house, aces full of queens).
Outcome: Villian wins 6.50 BB.

I guess I should have folded instead of calling the river bet.

I believe a pre-flop raise is OK here, but I normally only raise with it in MP or LP. I suspect Villian in the SB calls a pre-flop raise with his hand (I would'nt though).

Thanks for the input.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try not to be results oriented. I'm not saying you are, but it sounds like it the way you worded it. Someone pointed it out to me when I was getting started and I'm glad I got rid of that way of thinking.

You shouldn't have folded because he had a queen this time. If you was going to fold it would be because he has a queen enough times to be unprofitable for you to call over the long run. He could have a queen 4 times out of 5 and you'd still show a profit by calling. The point of my post is not whether or not you should call or whether he has a queen.

Similary that he had QJ preflop and probably would've hit his card on the river shouldn't affect your decision on whether to raise this hand preflop.

monix
05-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks sharpie. Your post helps me.

I think one of my leaks is losing too many pots at showdown...my W$SD is 48%. I went back and checked villian's stats, and he is very passive. There was probably a greater than 80% chance that he had the queen.