PDA

View Full Version : lucked out against the skunk

Ray Zee
05-17-2005, 11:46 PM
he was under my bench by the river tonight. i came around the corner and there he was. we both exited stage left quickly in opposite directions. he didnt spray and i didnt pee in my pants.

jakethebake
05-17-2005, 11:48 PM
http://images.allposters.com/images/ATA/21479BP.jpg

shadow29
you should publish these in a book of poems.

not kidding at all.

tbach24
I really don't like nature that much, but from your posts, where you live sounds beautiful.

gorie
05-17-2005, 11:50 PM
i went for a walk once , it was getting dark and i get to this spot around the block that is kinda a fielded area with some bushes, by these bushes i see about 5 skunks !!!
i started running back the way i came... a gang of skunks is a scary sight..!! probably the only time i've seen a skunk that wasn't dead on the road.

glad you didn't get sprayed or pee in your pants, dude. skunks suck!

SpearsBritney
05-17-2005, 11:51 PM
I have to bypass 2 or 3 skunks every night I go home. In the dark! I cannot imagine how much it would suck to be sprayed by one.

soah
05-17-2005, 11:52 PM
I am confused at how both of you could exit stage left while moving in opposite directions.

jakethebake
05-17-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a gang of skunks is a scary sight..!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What color were they wearing?

SpearsBritney
05-17-2005, 11:54 PM
seperate stages, duh!

tbach24
05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

gorie
05-17-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i like to ask my boyfriend what color he loves me.

i don't know how colors relate to gangs if that is suppose to be funny. but they were black & white and read all over. crap, wait, no. i dunno. they were carrying spiked clubs and flails. wait no. there was just a lot of skunks, basically.

Ray Zee
05-18-2005, 12:18 AM
gorie, skunks are solitary so you saw a family. mom and her young. thats fun to see. but getting TOO close.

Boris
05-18-2005, 12:25 AM
one time I was walking my dog on the Kim Williams nature trail by the Clark Fork. We ran into a mommy skunk and her babies. Mommy did a hand stand with her butt up in the air and pointed torwards my dog. Fortunately I had a nice dog. He wagged his tail and smiled at her. Everyone just walked away. Good thing I had a smart dog.

Alobar
05-18-2005, 01:23 AM
oh man, I could tell you some skunk stories. My dog back home prolly killed 1 a week when I was growing up.

Lawrence Ng
05-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Don't skunks only spray you if you try to get to close or harm them?

Lawrence

daryn
05-18-2005, 01:27 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I am confused at how both of you could exit stage left while moving in opposite directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are facing each other.. then both exit to their respective stage left, in opposite directions.

wacki
05-18-2005, 01:48 AM
I have a big white dog. It got hit pretty bad by a skunk once so we had to rub tomato juice all over it to get rid of the smell. For the next month I had a big fluffy pink dog. When people drove/walked by they couldn't help but stare at it.

Blarg
05-18-2005, 01:48 AM
For an animal, especially a small one, being close is almost the same thing as attacking them. That's how people get bitten by rattlesnakes without being aggressive; they just get too close by walking around or stepping over a log, never even knowing a snake was close by.

razor
05-18-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they are facing each other.. then both exit to their respective stage left, in opposite directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... in that case one person would exit stage right and the other stage left.

stage left can not have different meanings for two (or more) people, that would defeat the purpose of the term.

daryn
05-18-2005, 03:33 AM
each of them is on his own stage clearly.

razor
05-18-2005, 03:36 AM
you can't weasel out of being wrong that easily...

daryn
05-18-2005, 03:38 AM
the truth hurts, i'm no theater nerd.

jakethebake
05-18-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
each of them is on his own stage clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly.

Ray Zee
05-18-2005, 09:51 AM
the term as i know it was always used to mean now you are getting out of here quickly. remember snaggle puss, thats what he said when he was splitting. no direction needed just splitting.

Shajen
05-18-2005, 10:12 AM
For the record:

Stage directions pertain to the actors left or right...i.e, if I said I was exiting stage left, the audience would see me leaving to their right.

Makes it easier on the actors.

Nice post Ray. We need more of this in OOT.

razor
05-18-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the term as i know it was always used to mean now you are getting out of here quickly. remember snaggle puss, thats what he said when he was splitting. no direction needed just splitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking to daryn's explanation which is clearly wrong.

nicky g
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
You don;t hear too much about skunks over here. I take it being sprayed is really, really bad. But like how bad? I need stories.

SomethingClever
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
When I lived in Pasadena there were skunks around all the time. Driving back home from LA, north on the 110 at night it always smelled skunky.

Then there was the time I pulled into my parking spot and there was one right there. He ran away but I think he sprayed somewhere in the yard because it reeked for days.

jakethebake
05-18-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a big white dog. It got hit pretty bad by a skunk once so we had to rub tomato juice all over it to get rid of the smell. For the next month I had a big fluffy pink dog. When people drove/walked by they couldn't help but stare at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. We had a dog growing up that at least once a year she'd get into a skunk when we were out hunting. Tomato juice works as good as anything, but she was still sleeping outside for a few days. Ironically her name was Rosebud. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: we used to always take the juice with us hunting because no way were we letting her in the truck smelling like that.

WSUchica
05-18-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don;t hear too much about skunks over here. I take it being sprayed is really, really bad. But like how bad? I need stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't have any personal stories, but my brother used to work at some tree store and they had to set traps in the fields for raccoons. One day he went up to get the trap then realized it was a skunk that was in there, when I walked into the mudroom that day where his BOOTS were I was like W...T...F IS THAT SMELL!? It's awful

Sponger15SB
05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
edit: we used to always take the juice with us hunting because no way were we letting her in the truck smelling like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my dog got sprayed once and what did it do?

It ran inside and wiped itself off all over my bed! Greeeeeaatttttt...

He is a Yorkie and has a puppy cut, so we washed him up and he only stunk for a few days.

Alobar
05-18-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant imagine what actually getting sprayed would be like. But I've had dozens of encounters of being really really close to where it sprayed. The smell is so awful it has made me throw up before. It also sticks around what seems like FOREVER. My dog got sprayed so many times we finally quit washing her with tomotoe juice when it happened, cuz it was to much effort. She would smell horrible for 3 or 4 days. And then the rare times she managed to avoid a skunk for a couple weeks, if it rained, she would stink all over again.

IF we left the windows open at night, and a skunk sprayed, it would wake you up from your sleep. The whole house would stink, and the clothes in your closet would smell like skunk when you wore them out the next day.

Its truly awful stuff

nicky g
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks.

This invites an obvious question. How much money would it take for people to be willingly sprayed by a skunk?

Ray Zee
05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
when i was a kid and trapped i would get sprayed frequently. no big deal. just throw out the clothes and shower real good and stink for a few days.

the secret when you run over one in your car or pass by one dead is to close your windows as soon as you see it. then immediately past it, open them up to get that air out.

Blarg
05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Wow, your clothes that are inside your house would smell from a skunk spraying outside? That's nasty.

ricochet420
05-18-2005, 11:03 PM
I love the smell of skunk....

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it too, but getting sprayed directly would not be good. I also would not like to be doused with an entire bottle of my favorite cologne or perfume.

poincaraux
05-19-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tomato juice works as good as anything

[/ QUOTE ]
It turns out that there's a better option: hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and soap. Read this page (http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/sk00001.htm) .. he did some research, published it in Chemical and Engineering News a while ago and then put some stuff up on the web. This was very nice to have last year when we trapped 11 (yes, 11) skunks under our house.

Ray Zee
05-19-2005, 08:23 PM
great for your pet but hydrogen peroxide also bleaches everything, like your hair and stuff. so watch out. what you see on the internet isnt always good for you even if its effective.

offTopic
05-19-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As it happens, whatever wiring is required to do this, I don't have. I can smell plenty of other things, good and bad, but have never smelled skunk. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm not curious enough to go to the hunting supplies and sniff the skunk scent, so I guess I'll have to go without.

ZeeJustin
05-19-2005, 08:32 PM
I used to have a very stupid next door neighbor. One day he was particularly angry and he found a skunk in his garage. He closed the garage door to trap the skunk inside. He then found a baseball bat and beat the skunk to death with it. Obviously he got sprayed in the process, and he and his entire house smelled for weeks.

Talk2BigSteve
05-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Ray,

Will you put up some pictures of your views??? Like the beaver dam, the ducks, what you see when you are sitting on the porch, etc.

I personally would love to see them.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jingleheimer
05-19-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IF we left the windows open at night, and a skunk sprayed, it would wake you up from your sleep. The whole house would stink, and the clothes in your closet would smell like skunk when you wore them out the next day.

Its truly awful stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes- we had a stray cat in the crawl space underneath our house (directly underneath our bedroom) and a skunk decided to explore down there too. The cat and skunk fought (an awful racket in itself) and of course the skunk sprayed. The smell was so awful not only did it wake me up, but I couldn't get back to sleep. And my clothes were pretty awful too- next day at work people could smell me coming. I thought we were going to have to get the house fumigated because the smell was so bad, but it went away after only a couple of weeks. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

poincaraux
05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hydrogen peroxide also bleaches everything

[/ QUOTE ]
you're definitely right about that. my cat still looks a little bleached, and it's been months. the stink-reduction was worth it, though. 11 skunks + curious cats = lots of stink.