PDA

View Full Version : Strange 2-7 hand

fnord_too
05-17-2005, 11:26 PM
I left the results in, I don't really see a reason to omit them here. This one is just kind of odd, mainly because it is 3 way. Player A is decent, a regular 30/60 player. Player C is unkown to me, he just sat down a bit ago but I have not seen him do anything too wacko yet.

I thought about three betting the turn, and I thought about betting the river. I think the line I picked is the best, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Hand #5730223-4366 at Yakima ($10/$20 Triple Draw 2-7)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 17/May/05 23:09:27

Player A is at seat 0 with $731.
Player B is at seat 1 with $1058.
Player C is at seat 2 with $150.
Player D is at seat 3 with $179.
Player E is at seat 4 with $556.50.
fnord is at seat 5 with $719.
The button is at seat 0.

Player B posts the small blind of $5.
Player C posts the big blind of $10.

Player A: -- -- -- -- --
Player B: -- -- -- -- --
Player C: -- -- -- -- --
Player D: -- -- -- -- --
Player E: -- -- -- -- --
fnord: 6s 3h 4s Tc 8c

First Round:

Player D folds. Player E folds. fnord raises to
$20. Player A calls. Player B folds. Player C
calls.

Player C takes 2 cards. fnord takes 1 card. Player A
takes 2 cards.

fnord: 6s 3h 4s 8c Jc

Second Round:

Player C checks. fnord bets $10. Player A calls.
Player C calls.

Player C takes 1 card. fnord takes 1 card. Player A
takes 2 cards.

fnord: 6s 3h 4s 8c 2d

Third Round:

Player C bets $20. fnord calls. Player A raises to
$40. Player C calls. fnord calls.

Player C stands pat. fnord stands pat. Player A stands
pat.

fnord: 6s 3h 4s 8c 2d

Final Round:

Player C checks. fnord checks. Player A checks.

Showdown:

Player C shows 8d 6d 5h 4d 2c.
Player C has 8 6 5 4 2.
fnord shows 8c 6s 4s 3h 2d.
fnord has 8 6 4 3 2.
Player A mucks cards.
(Player A has 8h 7c 6c 4h 2s.)

Hand #5730223-4366 Summary:

$3 is raked from a pot of $215.
fnord wins $212 with 8 6 4 3 2.

randomstumbl
05-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Player A's decisions make no sense to me. Is this bad play like I think it is or am I missing some huge advantage he could have on the turn by raising with an awful 87 and staying pat when 2 people stay pat in front of him? I've only played 10/20 HU, but I can't imagine two seperate players are going to stay pat with worse hands than 876, especially if they drew one card the round before.

As far as your play goes, I'm not sure if it's optimal, but it's not bad. The downside to just calling the first turn bet is that Player A can draw to a one card draw to beat you for only one bet. The reason I like the play is that it's very possible that C has a better hand and you're minimizing your losses when you're dead and keeping him pat when you're ahead.

When Player A raises, I'd be worried about my hand and looking to call him down. Anyone object to that or see some reasoning that allows you to raise the turn or bet the river? I suppose you might be able to bet the river and fold to a raise, but that just seems like an overly tricky play.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-18-2005, 01:47 AM
i wouldn't play it any othe way.

fnord_too
05-18-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Player A's decisions make no sense to me. Is this bad play like I think it is or am I missing some huge advantage he could have on the turn by raising with an awful 87 and staying pat when 2 people stay pat in front of him? I've only played 10/20 HU, but I can't imagine two seperate players are going to stay pat with worse hands than 876, especially if they drew one card the round before.

[/ QUOTE ]

A is a decent player, but one of his weaknesses is that he sticks to hands too early. I like his turn raise, but not breaking there seems pretty silly when he has 8 outs to a 7. Even figuring 4 are burned, he has like a 12% chance to improve, which has got to be higher than the chance he is ahead against two people who paid two bets with 1 draw to come and both of whom stood pat.

BluffTHIS!
05-21-2005, 03:25 AM
Good analysis f_nord. Even if player A were headsup he should break a rough 8 after another player stood pat after his 2nd round raise. It is 'strange' as you said in the title of the post as his turn raise was a good play that was not followed by correct play on the 3rd round.