PDA

View Full Version : "classic" cars?

bonanz
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm *sorta* in the market for a new/used car. Thinking about it, but not really looking hard, could stay with my current car for an indefinite amount of time... anyways...

I was driving today and saw a sweet looking jag parked on the side of the road for sale. Just because it was so clean i turned around to check it out.

It's a 1987 XJ6 with 34k original miles on it. The paint, interior and engine look clean as f*ck. 97xx asking price (don't know if that's a good deal or not, haven't researched yet). She claims she has lots (5 cars) and really takes care of them and alternates between them and that this was her "fancy" car that she wouldn't drive very often and now she is moving and adopting a kid and will be need to get a van or suv.

anyways that [censored] was sick, but i don't really know anything about older/classic (i guess its not really classic, but has that classic look to it, and probably will be a classic in a few years).

All of this got me thinking maybe I should search for a clean ass older car to pimp with...

How good of an idea is it to buy a older/classic kinda car for your main means of transportation? Does anyone drive something like that regularly? by this i mean substantially older car, but keep it in excellent shape and plan to keep it for many years in hopes of retaining possibly gaining some value.

The Stranger
05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
'87 Jag? I don't care how nice it looks or how low the mileage is, it is going to cost a fortune to keep that thing running.

bonanz
05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
why, are those notoriously problematic? or just because parts would be expensive. I know nothing about jags (except that i think this was before the Ford buyout...could be wrong), and this has just inspired me to be open to more "classic" cars possibly. But i'm not sure how good of an idea that is

The Stranger
05-17-2005, 10:42 PM
my gut reaction was that Jag's are notoriously unreliable and expensive to mantain. And I generally assume that all cars from the 80's are crap.

But I did a little googling and the reviews don't sound bad at all. Routine maintenance will of course be pricier than if you pick up a less exotic car that is less than ten years old. I have a friend who had one of these, but I don't know what year it was. PM me if you want his email address.

Maulik
05-17-2005, 10:57 PM
the nice Jags boast the 12 cylinder.

this pos may look like a classic but like stranger says. this will cost you an arm and a leg more than $10k over 5 years. this is probably the real reason she's dumping it

gvibes
05-17-2005, 10:59 PM
I thought that these were the generation of jag-offs that had all the electrical problems, but I could be wrong. Certainly a good-looking car, however.

bholdr
05-17-2005, 11:05 PM
the jag will cost a fortune to keep running- they're known to be very problematic.

I have never owned a new car- i currently own a '73 VW bus that i got for $2200 and am restoring as time and cashflow permits. i'd highly reccomend buying something 'classic' (pre-'75 or so) for one big reason- if you take care of 'em they don't depreciate in value. however, i t may be a good idea to also own something newer and reliable for commuting. i live in an urban area and drive about once a week (to the cardrooms, of course). if i had to commute every day, i'd buy a little 'ol toyota pickup or a deisel rabbit or something economical and reliable like that.

zephed56
05-18-2005, 05:51 AM
http://thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/205403.jpg
http://thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/204937.jpg
http://thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/206453.jpg
http://thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/201153.jpg

JaBlue
05-18-2005, 05:54 AM
My father had some 80s jag and claimed that he spent more repairing it than he spent buying it (used).

jakethebake
05-18-2005, 09:10 AM
VWs are gay.

daveymck
05-18-2005, 09:49 AM
If you are a mechanic or able to do some repairs yourself then maybe if not then dont bother.

Any older car is going to more likely need regular care and attention to keep it running, some of the parts will be expensive but should be easy to source away form expensive jag dealerships.

Last year I was thinking about getting a 88-89 Porsche but didnt follow through with it cos I am dont know anything about repairing them.

Might be best to find a decent jag owners club forum (even if it is a UK one) and post some questions there.

If you want one the best bet is do some research really know what you are looking for and then try and get one that fits the bill rather than the first one you see that looks all shiney and new. The advice for the Proches was to get the best mechanically sound one with all the paperwork even if the colour and interior was not desireable.

Shajen
05-18-2005, 10:10 AM
This might just be the redneck in me, but if you are looking for a classic car, I don't think you should look much farther than one of these bad boys:

http://www.car-posters.com/prod_images/1970chevelle.jpg

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
or. . .

http://www.dreams-cars.net/images/Galerie/Dodge/Dodge_Charger_RT_1969/Dodge_Charger_RT_1969_06.jpg

Shajen
05-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Also very acceptable.

zephed56
05-18-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
VWs are gay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever driven one? New ones don't count.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
VWs are gay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever driven one? New ones don't count.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Because they are gay.

peachy
05-19-2005, 04:59 PM
i want an old GTO or a charger....there r others but these r the main too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

nolanfan34
05-19-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but these r the main too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm sorry, but no one can possibly use too when they're meaning to say two, and not have it be intentional. I don't care how fast you type, or don't care about grammar on here, etc, etc. Jeez.

daryn
05-19-2005, 05:29 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm sorry, but no one can possibly use too when they're meaning to say two, and not have it be intentional. I don't care how fast you type, or don't care about grammar on here, etc, etc. Jeez.

[/ QUOTE ]

more proof that all those losers who try to cover up for their typos with "oh i type fast" or "i don't care" are just in fact, idiots.

Duke
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This might just be the redneck in me, but if you are looking for a classic car, I don't think you should look much farther than one of these bad boys:

http://www.car-posters.com/prod_images/1970chevelle.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the 69 over the 70, and the 67.5 was a good one too.

They got the color right, though. Was that still called "British Racing Green" in 70?

~D

daryn
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
man i would love to own that car

Duke
05-19-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

more proof that all those losers who try to cover up for their typos with "oh i type fast" or "i don't care" are just in fact, idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a guy gets all the letters in the wrong order, or it's an obvious missed letter, I'll let it slide. Other than that, yes I think people who can't spell are retarded.

~D

Duke
05-19-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
man i would love to own that car

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably get a real pretty one for under $15k.

~D

peachy
05-19-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no it wasnt intential...i thought the word TWO and was in a hurry and didnt think past that half a second and typed "too" so sue me...everyones done it at some point /images/graemlins/mad.gif