PDA

View Full Version : Dropping down levels to clear bonus??

gergery
05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
I see people say they do this all the time – Why? Don’t they know how to use an excel spreadsheet to figure out their win-rate under both scenarios and see they make less money?

I don’t get it

SoftcoreRevolt
05-17-2005, 09:54 PM
You clear less raked hands per hour on some higher limits than lower limits with a different rake structure.

BusterStacks
05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see people say they do this all the time – Why? Don’t they know how to use an excel spreadsheet to figure out their win-rate under both scenarios and see they make less money?

I don’t get it

[/ QUOTE ]

No serious players do this, only Zoo people. I agree though, it's really dumb.

KingDan
05-17-2005, 10:12 PM
I do this when I play on a site I don't usually play at. Drop levels quickly whore the bonus and leave.

smb394
05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
I occasionally drop down to $1-2 6max on the Party/Skins network (from $2-4 ring) to clear faster and to practice playing shorthanded.

Skipbidder
05-17-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don’t get it

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently do it. Less variance.

In the alternative, it gives me a chance to play games I don't play very often. Throw a little Omaha8 or Stud Hi-Lo into the mix. I used to play 8-16 Stud Hi-Lo 3 or 4 years ago on Planet, but really don't play it at all anymore under most circumstances. I don't really want to jump in to a bigger game now, but playing 1-2 or 2-4 while clearing a bonus is different. It's almost like a poker playing vacation. There is less stress playing lower limits. Vicious suckouts roll of my back a lot easier.

Also, I play mostly tournaments when I'm not playing off a bonus, and few places that I play at (except PokerStars) make it worthwhile (or even possible) to clear bonuses via tournament.

daveymck
05-18-2005, 05:37 AM
I will do this at times generally for two reasons.

1 I normally only play 2 table if clearing a bonus I will drop down and open 4 tables, a lot of the party bonuses have a tight limited time to clear and wouldnt get it done in the time I have.

2 To play a game I dont normally play, I have cleared the last couple of bonuses at low NL and PL, cheap experience with the backup of the bonus if I make a total arse of it.

If you are playing purely for profit and income then I suspect clearing bonuses a lower levels is not financially the correct thing to do.

jba
05-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I think you're oversimplifying - lower limits are often EV+. If you're working off something like a 5 or 7x bonus I think it's fairly easy to make more playing 1/2 6max than 3/6 full ring - they're pretty close. PT tells me 1/2 6max yields nearly two times more raked hands / hour than 3/6 full. This will often make up for the higher win rate in 3/6. Also keep in mind that because you get in 60% more hands/hour in 6max, your bb/hr is 60% higher in 1/2 if bb/100 is the same.

I think a good player will virtually always make more at 1/2 6m than 2/4 full on party assuming a 5x or 7x bonus, 10x is closer.

granted most of this benefit is the different rake structure along with short handed tables.

I can also see dropping from 1/2 full to .5/1 to work off a bonus. This may also be EV+, 1/2 full has a very good rake structure.

BeantownCaller
05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
I never did this while I was learning limit and was enjoying 4 tabling 2/4

Right now I've got the SNG/Tourney bug so during all the recent bonuses I've been 4 tabling SNG's on a rakeback acct and clearing the bonus 4 tabling .50/$1 on my other monitor.

If I was a better multi tabler or much more comfortable on the bubble in tourneys with 8 tables going, I'd play 2/4. But I kinda like being able to let my .50/1 tables time out if I'm on the bubble in 3 tourneys simultaneously or something.

Anyhow, that's my reason. Probably not as dumb as some others' reasons, but not too bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fuchida
05-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I will sometime play 4 $25 NL late at night to clear the Party bonus. During the day I play 3 or 4 $400 to $1000 buy-ins but I won't play those while I am tired. I can play the $25s while semi-asleep without doing much damage /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fuchida