PDA

View Full Version : PS3 vs XBOX 2

FrankLu99
05-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Given the limited info online, which do u prefer right now?

XBOX SPEC
An IBM PowerPC based CPU with 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each

A custom ATI Graphics processor and more than 512 MB of memory for high definition games and entertainment applications

All games optimized for 16:9 aspect ratio, HD Output (720p and 1080i); multichannel surround sound output

Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive to download demos and trailers along with new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, community-created content, and more; to rip music for playback and to listen to custom play lists in every game

A wireless controller with Microsoft-patented wireless technology; Xbox Guide Button on every controller, the launch pad that instantly connects gamers to their games, friends, and music and to power on or power off Xbox 360 without leaving the couch

Gamer Profile software that remembers what players have achieved in games

Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live, including: a built-in Ethernet port for connectivity; Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content; a Message Center to receive voice and video messages from friends; ability to talk to friends, even while watching movies or listening to music; and an Xbox Live Headset

3 USB 2.0 ports for Xbox Live Camera peripheral; to plug in wired game controllers that are also common for Windows PCs; to stream media from any portable media device, digital camera, and Windows XP PC

Progressive-scan DVD movie playback out of the box; DVD and CD music and photo playback out of the box; support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD

Windows Media Center Extender built in to access recorded TV (including high definition) and digital movies (including high definition), music, video and photos stored on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs through any Xbox 360

Support for up to four wireless game controllers and an optional Universal Media Remote with Windows® XP Media Center Edition Button for Media Center Edition functionality

Support for Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter via 802.11b, g and a

Interactive, full screen 3D visualizers

Two memory unit ports to save data on portable memory units, starting at 64 MB

Detachable Face so each console can be personalized

Parental Controls to restrict the games and movies that are played; Xbox Live controls to manage Friends List, voice and video communication, and Gamer Profile sharing

PS3
CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
--1 VMX vector unit per core
--512KB L2 cache
--7 x SPE @3.2GHz
--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
VRAM--22.4GB/s
RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:
2 teraflops

STORAGE
--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1
--SD standard/mini x 1
--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION
--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)
--USB 2.0 (wired)
--Wi-Fi (PSP)
--Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT
Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI out x 2
AV multi out x 1
Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
CD
PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation2 CD-ROM
CD-DA
CD-DA (ROM),
CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side)
DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
BD-ROM
BD

Popinjay
05-17-2005, 09:26 PM
PS3 video... (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5833&type=wmv)

apparently this is the same as in-game because just before they showed this vid the dude was playing it on the screen with the same graphics. ridiculously awesome

Emmitt2222
05-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Killzone made me want to pee myself. PS3 had a much better showing than the xbox360 in terms of the quality of games and even the graphics. Thing is that PS3 might cost upwards of $500 and thats just too much, the controller also looks like a boomerang. If I had to pick who is winning at E3 right now it would still be PS3 though. I really like Nintendo so was liking the way the console looked, but they gave us nothing else which made me sad.

Phoenix1010
05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
I've read rumors that developers are saying that the PS3 is ridiculously more powerful than the Xbox 360. They're both so increibly powerful that I don't think it's going to matter terribly much, due to diminishing returns. Both of the companies have incredible amounts of business savy and MS has really closed the gap in the market (there will be far fewer third party system exclusive AAA titles in this generation), so it's really going to come down to the first party software. I'll personally take Halo 3 and Perfect Dark 0 over Gran Turismo and those Jak and Clank games, but not everyone will agree with that.

Vince Young
05-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I have no idea what
[ QUOTE ]
CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
--1 VMX vector unit per core
--512KB L2 cache
--7 x SPE @3.2GHz
--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
VRAM--22.4GB/s
RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
2 teraflops
--SD standard/mini x 1
--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1
--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)

[/ QUOTE ]
means. Can someone help me out?

Phoenix1010
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS3 video... (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5833&type=wmv)

apparently this is the same as in-game because just before they showed this vid the dude was playing it on the screen with the same graphics. ridiculously awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I'm speechless. This looks like what Halo 2 should have been.

wacki
05-17-2005, 10:20 PM
To put things in perspective:

Gigaflop = one billion floating point operations.

According to the quoted stats the playstation 3 CPU runs can do 218 gigaflops. The pentium 4 was the first chip made by Intel that could do 1 gigaflop.

The GPU (graphics processor) doing 1.8 TFLOPS which is 1,800 gigaflops. The Radeon X800 (a $500 video card) does 0.2 TFLOPS or 200 gigaflops.

Are these PS3 stats correct? Cuz all I can think is "holy [censored]".

mikeyvegas
05-17-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The GPU (graphics processor) doing 1.8 TFLOPS which is 1,800 gigaflops. The Radeon X800 (a $500 video card) does 0.2 TFLOPS or 200 gigaflops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, WOW! I'm checking on this right now.

TStoneMBD
05-17-2005, 11:02 PM
wow. killzone has the best graphics ive ever seen by a wide margin.