PDA

View Full Version : Four Players who Multitable the $30s at my table

Maulik
05-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm playing at a table w/ three other players who are playing 2 or more SNGs at the $30s.

Assuming these are winning players, and they are all acting before one after another... do I loosen my calling standards here?

Big Limpin'
05-17-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming these are winning players, and they are all acting before one after another... do I loosen my calling standards here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

EverettKings
05-17-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing at a table w/ three other players who are playing 2 or more SNGs at the $30s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, assuming that they're somewhat like you, you can probably see through a lot of their plays and pick up some pots. "Loosening your calling standards" is too vague an idea for me to know if it's right here.

-Kings

Maulik
05-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Loosening calling standards when they push is what I had in mind. Perhaps I call with QJs where I normally wouldn't. But I'm not going to do that regardless.

EverettKings
05-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Don't think so concretely. Why do you call pushes with more? Because in SOME spots you know they will push with a much wider range of hands than other players, and you can't muck your Ax like you would vs a weak tightie.

But there are so many other spots where knowing their style can help, that's just one of them. Keep your eyes open.

-Kings

valenzuela
05-17-2005, 09:39 PM
ehhh..why didnt u leave the table if you thought u were sitting with winning players /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blarg
05-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Party is filled with multi-tablers who aren't winners.

valenzuela
05-17-2005, 09:47 PM
eh....really? gee I didnt know.

GoldenHorde
05-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Assuming they are winning players is a HUGE mistake, more often then not they are just losing money faster. Playing at odd hours I often end up at 2 or 3 tables with multiple people it just means more chances to get reads so use it and the HH's to your advantage.

Degen
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
no you steal all of their blinds late tourney

Andre

Degen
05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't think so concretely. Why do you call pushes with more? Because in SOME spots you know they will push with a much wider range of hands than other players, and you can't muck your Ax like you would vs a weak tightie.

But there are so many other spots where knowing their style can help, that's just one of them. Keep your eyes open.

-Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a silly post...this is not rocket science or zen buddhism, its a $30 sit n go.

i didn't understand the meaning of 'loosen your calling standards'...yes you definately should. though rather than QJs i'd say any ace or any any pair or KQ and those kinds of hands...not auto call, but think about it.

Andre

Newt_Buggs
05-17-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm shocked at how many bad multitabelers there are. A couple of days ago by far the worst player at two of my tables was the same person.

Scuba Chuck
05-18-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm shocked at how many bad multitabelers there are. A couple of days ago by far the worst player at two of my tables was the same person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Degen was at your tables? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

pergesu
05-18-2005, 12:11 AM
I was at your table a couple days ago and talked some [censored]. Busted out two hands later.

I swear it was my AA vs 72o all-in preflop though.

Maulik
05-18-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ehhh..why didnt u leave the table if you thought u were sitting with winning players /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Party is filled with multi-tablers who aren't winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

after I started I searched each player to see if they were playing more than one table. if they happened to play playing more than one table, I assumed they'd have a higher range of hands they'd be calling with, so I'd steal their blinds and sit accordlingly next time I played with them.

is this a reasonable assumption?

p.s. not necessarily that they are winning or losing but about their calling range.

pergesu
05-18-2005, 12:13 AM
I really don't think you can make any assumptions just because they play four tables. I definitely don't think you can approximate their calling ranges because they play at four tables. They could just as easily be action junkies.

I four-tabled the $25 PLO game today, never played PLO in my life. But I can't sit at just one table, that sucks ass.

Scuba Chuck
05-18-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
after I started I searched each player to see if they were playing more than one table. if they happened to play playing more than one table, I assumed they'd have a higher range of hands they'd be calling with, so I'd steal their blinds and sit accordlingly next time I played with them.

p.s. not necessarily that they are winning or losing but about their calling range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, move back down to the $22s. I mean this with the utmost respect. I mean this in the attempt to help you attain the largest amount of cash for making it to Europe. You'll have far more confidence there, and they are such a cakewalk. The $33s have many more proficient players.

I'm not saying you don't have the skills to play the $33s. I'm saying that you might want to consider a strategy that will maximize your total $$$ earned.

PS - even I play the $22s, usually 8~10AM

GoldenHorde
05-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Yeah its reasonable a person multi tabling is more likely than your average player to be a winning player, but rather than just assuming it should be pretty easy to get a handle on them if you are sitting at 2/3 tables with them.

GoldenHorde
05-18-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, move back down to the $22s. I mean this with the utmost respect. I mean this in the attempt to help you attain the largest amount of cash for making it to Europe. You'll have far more confidence there, and they are such a cakewalk. The $33s have many more proficient players.

I'm not saying you don't have the skills to play the $33s. I'm saying that you might want to consider a strategy that will maximize your total $$$ earned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree play the $22's until you can play the $55's.

Maulik
05-18-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scuba, I respect your opinion. Now, I've decided to play soley the $30s and never move down to improve my game while I'm logging tons of tournaments. If my bankroll requires, I'll move down, not very likely at tihs point. That said do you still think there is good reason to move down? I'd rather take a hit in my ROI and develop as a player than move down.

hope i'm not to word

thanks

-m

microbet
05-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Last time a encouraged (although it was his idea, not mine) a kid (22 is a kid also) to play at a higher level it cost me a case of beer and possibly more, so I'm not going to say anything about this.

Maulik
05-18-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last time a encouraged (although it was his idea, not mine) a kid (22 is a kid also) to play at a higher level it cost me a case of beer and possibly more, so I'm not going to say anything about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to my check for a case of Bass, its been a long week of poker & math finals...

p.s. micro you've read a lot of my posts, $30s seems about correct?

bass is good, I enjoy making honest wagers

microbet
05-18-2005, 01:32 AM
I probably tend to overestimate people, but seems like you should be significantly better than the average $33'er. How many have you played? Are you doing well?

Maulik
05-18-2005, 01:35 AM
I'll post after tonight, I've played nearly 400 and my ROI is probably approaching 8% perhaps higher. I'm finally setting in here, so I think

dfscott
05-18-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry -- at the rate I'm going, I'll be back at the 22s soon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

microbet
05-18-2005, 01:39 AM
I doubt you are running good at 8%. You could be running bad. But, if that is right where you are at, then you are getting paid to learn.

Scuba could be right for the real short term and making money for Europe. Hell, trying to 12 table the $11s could be better for the short term.

jeffraider
05-18-2005, 01:40 AM
Actually a few days ago someone pushed from LP at my BB just after dropping the brown trout line. I instacalled with AJs. Unfortunately he was stronger than I thought considering the position/stack size and had 77, but I managed to catch an Ace. He was a little shocked that a 2+2er called with AJs and said that it seemed like an easy fold, but I felt against someone who plays the later levels like me it was easy and really expected to see A6 or something.

raptor517
05-18-2005, 01:53 AM
making looser calls is not exactly the greatest thing you can do. if they ARE good players, they will fold their blinds more, so just ramp up the push agression, and never lay off. dont try to make a 'good call' that puts yerself in a coinflip situation on the bubble. holla

Blarg
05-18-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then you had your answer already.

Scuba Chuck
05-18-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Scuba, I respect your opinion. Now, I've decided to play soley the $30s and never move down to improve my game while I'm logging tons of tournaments. If my bankroll requires, I'll move down, not very likely at tihs point. That said do you still think there is good reason to move down? I'd rather take a hit in my ROI and develop as a player than move down.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is not that you are not unable to play the $33s for profit (or even breakeven). My point is that you have some very very short term goals. Furthermore, you're asking questions that help me determine where you are on your learning curve. These are questions that I think are appropriate for the level game you're playing and the learning curve that you're on. You will begin experimenting with YOUR personal style (ie - should I loosen up calling standards?) This will cause variance - and it may not be positive. Furthermore, if it is positive variance, it may not be right.

In short, if your ~ 7 day goal is to maximize $$$/hr, then experimenting with your current strategy might interfere.

My advice to move down is far more dependent on your short term goals and expected success. Take it for what its worth.

If you're running hot ...nevermind.
Good Luck at the tables
Scuba

viennagreen
05-18-2005, 09:39 AM
what do you mean "higher range of hands they'd be calling with"?

don't you mean, smaller range of hands that they would play, assuming that they are tight and not just calling out of boredom like so many other players....

i don't understand--- maybe this is just a semantic issue.

The Yugoslavian
05-18-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
making looser calls is not exactly the greatest thing you can do. if they ARE good players, they will fold their blinds more, so just ramp up the push agression, and never lay off. dont try to make a 'good call' that puts yerself in a coinflip situation on the bubble. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on whether or not the other players know that you know who they are or not.

Generally you can have looser calling standards in some situations....but more likely you will want to push when they're in the big blind whenever you get the opportunity.

Yugoslav