PDA

View Full Version : Any mechanics?

Cubswin
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
After a month of waiting for the mechanic to find a decent used engine for my 1998 bravada, i finally got it back yesterday. Runs like a champ but now there is new problem... the fuel guage is not working and the check engine light is stuck on as a result. The mechanic tells me the float in the fuel tank is messed up according to the engine code reader. I phoned up my old mechanic back in chicago and he says he doubts its just coincidence that the fuel float thingy went at the same time as the engine and suggested taking it over another shop and asking them to tell me what the code is and what it means. I was thinking about just investing in a cheapo code reader myself as it seems like a handy thing to have (despite my lack of car knowledge). So two questions...

1) WTF might could the problem be?
2) Should i invest in a code reader? and if so, can anyone suggest where to get one that wont break the budget?

Thanks in advance for the help...

cubs

PS I know there are a ton of automotive boards but i thought i might try here first.

TimM
05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm not a mechanic but I used to be a service writer in an car dealership (Cadillac and Oldsmobile), does that count?

It does seem like a coincidence, but getting any mechanic to admit this and fix it on their dime would likely be impossible. Even if they are very honest and would admit to doing something wrong, for all they know this could have been a pre-existing problem.

If the sensor is not bad, it could be the wiring between the sensor and whatever it's connected to. It's possible the mechanic screwed this up while replacing the engine. To the computer the problem would look the same (bad data from sensor), so the code wouldn't help much.

As far as a code reader, the ones I've seen don't look cheap, and may be limited to only certain makes and model years. You can probably rent one from an auto parts shop or tool rental house. I don't see how that will help you much though.

jakethebake
05-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Look on ebay for a code reader. there are also like random electronics places online that i've seen them for like $79.95.

Cubswin
05-17-2005, 08:53 PM
"It does seem like a coincidence, but getting any mechanic to admit this and fix it on their dime would likely be impossible. Even if they are very honest and would admit to doing something wrong, for all they know this could have been a pre-existing problem.

If the sensor is not bad, it could be the wiring between the sensor and whatever it's connected to. It's possible the mechanic screwed this up while replacing the engine. To the computer the problem would look the same (bad data from sensor), so the code wouldn't help much."

Thanks for the input. If it is something messed up with the wiring would you care to ponder how much it might cost? He seemed like a fairly honest guy.... the price was right and he refused shipment on 3 engines before he installed this one... but like you stated, he prolly wouldnt fess up if he did mess up. After spending almost 2 grand on the engine im pissed that i might have to shell out even more cash but it would prolly be worth it just for my peace of mind....

thanks again
cubs

TimM
05-17-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input. If it is something messed up with the wiring would you care to ponder how much it might cost? He seemed like a fairly honest guy.... the price was right and he refused shipment on 3 engines before he installed this one... but like you stated, he prolly wouldnt fess up if he did mess up. After spending almost 2 grand on the engine im pissed that i might have to shell out even more cash but it would prolly be worth it just for my peace of mind....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say what it would cost, because it would mostly be labor time to track down the problem.

Probably your best hope is to trust the guy. If you're lucky, maybe he will check wiring and connections around the engine compartment first, and if he finds somthing that was his fault, not charge you anything.

If he is not so good, he will replace the sensor first. That will either fix the problem, or if not, he will go looking for the real cause. This you will never find out about unless it's something he would have to charge you even more for. In this scenario you will be charged for the sensor replacement whether you needed it or not.

Of course, no one else is going to fix it for free, so your best chance is to hope this guy makes good if indeed it was his fault, and maybe you can try to get some consideration out of him, since you did just spend 2 grand.

Ray Zee
05-18-2005, 12:35 AM
the cheap code readers are junk. good ones are 2 to 4 thousand bucks. its better to have someone with one use it.

he probably pulled a wire apart when he did his work. trace back to the gas tank.
a big auto shop will have the schmatics for you car on disk. you can follow the clues from that. get a printout from them, or let them fix it and forget about someone that wont stand by their work.