PDA

View Full Version : Fold top pair on bubble because I'm big stack?

pergesu
05-17-2005, 07:32 PM
$33

Villain had limped UTG last three times around, so it wasn't strange. Bet two of the flops, which he folded, and check-folded one.

If I call and lose, I have ~1k chips, so I'm still decent, but now have to really fight the bubble. Call and win, I go ITM as a big favorite. Fold here, and I'm still the big stack with 2700. Thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t3250)
UTG (t2025)
Button (t1515)
SB (t1210)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t500) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t350</font>, UTG bets all-in [t1825]

Final Pot: t850

Nick M
05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Man this is a tough one. I am going back and forth between folding and calling. If you strongly believe he is not the trapping type I call here. There is to many hands he could have that you beat. Like Q8 9 10 or a pair between 4s and jacks. Yeah so call. Plus you still got 5BBs and basically even with the other 3.

flyby4553
05-17-2005, 08:00 PM
The one thing that seems scary here is the villains limp UTG. Has this been a common occurrance for him or has he typically been raising whenever he enters a pot? If he's regularly limping I'd say theres a good chance your ahead here and hes pushing trying to defend against your possible steal.

However if this is unusual for him then you've got a tough decision. He could just have junk and be making the same resteal move I mentioned above, but he also could have a real good hand in this spot like AQ, KQ, or a higher PP. If this is the case I would probably lay it down and look for a better spot.

pergesu
05-17-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man this is a tough one. I am going back and forth between folding and calling. If you strongly believe he is not the trapping type I call here. There is to many hands he could have that you beat. Like Q8 9 10 or a pair between 4s and jacks. Yeah so call. Plus you still got 5BBs and basically even with the other 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in the first post, he had limped UTG the previous three orbits. Twice he folded to a flop bet of mine. So I wasn't sure if this time he actually had a hand, or if he was just sick of me betting and taking the pot. I didn't really want to find out, to be honest.

If I fold here, I've got 13.5 BB and the chip lead. Much better position, I think...and it lets me find a spot where I'm not so damn confused.

GoldenHorde
05-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Easy fold the range of hands hes winning with have you horribly dominated and the range of hands he makes this bluff with which would seem to be smaller you are a smaller favorite.