PDA

View Full Version : will psychology help my poker game?

blaze666
05-17-2005, 05:38 PM
if i decide to turn pro (some day), i would definatly get some sort of education/degree on poker, if it would help my game. would poker help my game? looking at lederer i think it would.

Peter Harris
05-17-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
would poker help my game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker certainly would /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Psych too.

Maths, Business Studies, Psychology, Sociology and Sports Studies should all be degrees with at least some bearing on poker. Try combining all 5 for a coooool degree /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,
Pete Harris

onegymrat
05-19-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
psy-chol-o-gy
n.
The science that deals with mental behavior and processes.

[/ QUOTE ]
This game is ALL about psychology. Study hard.

Bodhi
05-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Absolutely pyschology can help your poker game. However, I don't think you need to get a degree. It should be sufficient to study the most relevant subjects and to put more effort into studying your opponents at the table.

Also, as Dr. Schoonmaker says in his excellent book, pyschology is a great tool for understanding yourself at the table and your own limitations.

Jordan Olsommer
05-19-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
looking at lederer i think it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure lederer dropped out of college - Annie Duke has a degree though.

popniklas
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
looking at lederer i think it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure lederer dropped out of college - Annie Duke has a degree though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Annie Duke has got a Ph.D. in psychology.

I certainly think that knowledge of psychology can help you improve as a poker player, to some degree. Not sure how much though, since there is abviously a many aspects of poker that is not related to general psycholgy.

Hopefully I will know in some years, since I am planning on getting an education in psychology myself.

PokerProdigy
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Annie Duke has got a Ph.D. in psychology.

I certainly think that knowledge of psychology can help you improve as a poker player, to some degree. Not sure how much though, since there is abviously a many aspects of poker that is not related to general psycholgy.

Hopefully I will know in some years, since I am planning on getting an education in psychology myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think see actually dropped out before she got the Ph.D, but she was in a Ph.D program for psychology. I agree that psychology is a great subject and I may get a Ph.D in this field, but I'm not doing it just so it will help my poker game, but if it does I'll view that as a bonus. /images/graemlins/grin.gif