PDA

View Full Version : Running Well? Finishing 6th is not bad.

augie00
05-17-2005, 05:38 PM
My last 47 SNGs

Pokerstars $109+5 Turbo

1) 11
2) 5
3) 4
4) 2
5) 4
6) 10
7) 4
8) 6
9) 1

20 cashes for an ITM of 42.5%
$7371 from $5358 in buyins for an ROI of 37.5%? I think? Did I calculate that right?

My friend thought it was odd that I finished 6th so many times. I thought it wasn't odd, because of the style that is required to do well in these turbos. When the blinds get to 50/100 and 100/200 (around the time 3 people have busted) I really open up my game and become very agressive.

Generally, I either run into a big hand and bust or win a hand and cash, because once I have a stack the weak-tighties have no chance with the rapidly escalating blinds.

I am new to SNGs, how many does it take to make the long run? 200? 300?

gasgod
05-17-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you're still learning and improving, the long run keeps changing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Most people here would tell you that a few hundred is nowhere near the long run. Think in terms of many thousand.

GG

beeyjay
05-17-2005, 05:50 PM
the long run is definitly in the thousands but thats only to determine closer to your exact roi. after a couple hundred you can pretty much tell if youre winning which it looks like you are. luck can only account for so much and hearing you briefly describe your play it sounds like youre playing pretty good in a general sense. You're ITM should be pretty close to accurate after a couple hundred more.

The Yugoslavian
05-17-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My last 47 SNGs

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

My friend thought it was odd that I finished 6th so many times. I thought it wasn't odd, because of the style that is required to do well in these turbos.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is actually odd here is that you and your friend were having a discussion over any of your stats after 47 STTs.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thousands....10k sounds good as a start. Over 100k is probably a better answer though.

200k or 300k is even better though...so I'll just pretend that is what you were referring to in your post...

Yugoslav

valenzuela
05-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I had to play 47 sngs to get a third, I dont see whats the panic, its just some weird thing which will go away if you play 30000 sngs or soemthing.

Maulik
05-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Statistical Significant <Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance)

Blarg
05-18-2005, 02:32 AM
I've had a lot of this lately. I used to think something like this might be a bad sign, but that's only when you're really brand spanking new to SNG's. What it means to a player with at least a sorta moderate level of skill can easily just be that you got KK when the binds were 50/100, got all in against AK and QQ just like you're supposed to, and an ace or a queen flopped and you wound up busted out 6th or worse with a good hand played well. That's just the nature of SNG's, and it can happen with crazy frequency in the short run.

There are days when almost every ITM I make is a 1st, and there are days when I only get one or none. SNG's are just weird.

I suppose it could suggest you're too aggressive during those games where the blinds have gotten high and there are still 6 or 7 players. But then again, you're going to lose in those games by not taking your shots just like you will by taking them, so again, who knows. It just doesn't tell you much that's useful in such a quick span of games. That's just a day or two of playing for lots of us.