PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm Bet the Turn?

toss
05-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Just sat down.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>...

davelin
05-17-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just sat down.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't bet the turn?

Quercus
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
The only thing that's changed from the flop is that there is only one K out there rather than two.

toss
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
I was thinking he would fold with a weaker hand and I could get him to bluff the river. But now that I think of it a lot of cards could come and beat me.

davelin
05-17-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking he would fold with a weaker hand and I could get him to bluff the river. But now that I think of it a lot of cards could come and beat me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's possibly drawing like up to 6 outs against you so I would bet to get value and if he folds, so be it. A lot of people will call a bet with an Ace in this situation or any two cards hoping to hit one for the boat.

topspin
05-17-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely why you need to bet. Not to mention that two clubs and sometimes an 8 or a smaller PP will pay you off anyways.

GrunchCan
05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that's changed from the flop is that there is only one K out there rather than two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this does impact the hand. Now it is even less likely that the villan has a better hand.

I'll bet this turn - checking doesn't accomplish anything, and could put you in an uncomfortable spot on the river when the villan wakes up. Betting the turn is better. You can often fold to a checkraise, and if the opponent just calls you can check the river if the villan is very tricky.

Marquis
05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite a pickle you got yourself in by not betting the turn.

silkyslim
05-17-2005, 04:19 PM
I would def bet the turn. for the reasons mentioned above. NOw if villian c/r'ed, i would want to just call down. If he called then bet the turn, id do the same. im not folding the river because he could easily have a flush or worse. but i dont want to raise it with that ace out there.

toss
05-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up folding this river. If only I had bet that turn...

Should I post another hand?

gopnik
05-17-2005, 04:31 PM
yes

toss
05-17-2005, 04:38 PM
If since you asked for it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

No reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (4.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>...

I checked the river so that he may bluff. Does it look good?

milesdyson
05-17-2005, 04:48 PM
I would bet the river and fold to a raise. My reasoning:

There are two ways one bet from each of you can go in on the river.

1. You bet and he calls.

2. You check, he bets and you call.

I think (1) is more profitable because you are getting called by any pair and sometimes ace high. In (2), there are many hands that you beat that he is checking through on the river. He is much more often value betting a king than attempting to bluff you out of the pot.

This is a default play because you have no reads. Against some overaggressive players, checking to induce a bluff is a great play here.

Quercus
05-17-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, this does impact the hand. Now it is even less likely that the villan has a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my meaning.

Easy bet on the turn.