PDA

View Full Version : Too weak?

kapw7
05-17-2005, 02:42 PM
I know I said I'm not playing 1/2 full ring. And I don't. It's a waste of time. But I was having some fun playing short-handed on that table when it suddenly filled up. I stayed for a free round since I was also playing for the POKERACE bonus when this hand came-up:

No reads at all.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds.

I am sceptical about "big folds" but I did it here. Maybe I over- or underestimate 1/2 full players as being very predictable but I wasn't interested anymore in that hand. I would normally raise for a free turn card (at least) but no. Was this weak? Too weak?

tiltaholic
05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
that fold is read-dependant (against a really really passive villain).
i usually raise the flop and proceed from there.

MrWookie47
05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Yep. I vote weak. I'd call and reevaluate on the turn.

@bsolute_luck
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
hmmm...tough. i think calling is the wrong idea. why call to hope for a 2 outer on the turn? seems you should either fold or raise to see what happens. it is read-dependent. i could understand fold though with SB betting and UTG calling, and it is a pretty uncoordinated board. maybe i'm weak too, who knows /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i guess if the turn doesn't drop an A or something to help the straight draw, you could call the flop and raise the turn after seeing what action takes place. just a thought really.

deception5
05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
With no read I have to believe you are good here most of the time. SB semi-cold-called your raise which, without reads, leads me to believe suited connector/pocket pair/broadway/ace-rag. No reason to assume the worst just yet.

I think you will be tested often in this situation by a suited connector like 76/65/54 or a pocket pair to see if you really "have it". Since there are few draws on this board and you are likely wa/wb I might just call and see what happens on the turn. Raising is ok as well, but you might scare away an aggressive opponent and get 3-bet by a hand that beats you.

btw - I have played about 2k hands at 1/2 full ring (and another 2k at 6-max) and you'd be surprised - it's definitely not the rock garden you might think, just depends what time of day you play (mornings are horrible for 1/2 full ring, late night I have little problem finding several 35%+ tables). Running really good right now at 5BB/100.

Last - what's the pokerace bonus? I think I might have missed that one.

deception5
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm...tough. i think calling is the wrong idea. why call to hope for a 2 outer on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not why you would call. Calling here would be because you think you have the best hand and you'd like to see what sb and utg+1 do on the turn. If sb bets and utg+1 folds the chance that you have the best hand just got a lot better. If utg+1 raises it's an easy fold. If it's checked to you, betting is probably the best play.

@bsolute_luck
05-17-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm...tough. i think calling is the wrong idea. why call to hope for a 2 outer on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not why you would call. Calling here would be because you think you have the best hand and you'd like to see what sb and utg+1 do on the turn. If sb bets and utg+1 folds the chance that you have the best hand just got a lot better. If utg+1 raises it's an easy fold. If it's checked to you, betting is probably the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

please see my entire post as that is what i suggested at the bottom /images/graemlins/smirk.gif i did adjust my thought, but forgot about that part of it.

kapw7
05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Last - what's the pokerace bonus? I think I might have missed that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

POKERACE is supposed to be a special bonus for UK residents only but it seems to work for everybody. Look at this link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=inet&amp;Number=2400648&amp;page=0 &amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=all) Not the 4 first posts!

deception5
05-17-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
please see my entire post as that is what i suggested at the bottom i did adjust my thought, but forgot about that part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got me. Curse my short attention span /images/graemlins/wink.gif

deception5
05-17-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
POKERACE is supposed to be a special bonus for UK residents only but it seems to work for everybody. Look at this link Not the 4 first posts!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, not sure if I have the guts to do it after the whole empire thing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

@bsolute_luck
05-17-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
please see my entire post as that is what i suggested at the bottom i did adjust my thought, but forgot about that part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got me. Curse my short attention span /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no prob. i'm just glad i'm not alone in my thoughts /images/graemlins/laugh.gif ...which i seem to be quite often /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Marquis
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty comfortable sticking this one in the muck on the flop. I wouldn't call though; I'd raise, bet, check.

MrEngenic
05-17-2005, 05:17 PM
SB bets into 4 players including the preflop raiser and somebody calls him ahead of you. One of them probably has the K.
HU I would almost always call this down but in this situation you are probably drawing to 2 outs. I say fold the flop.