PDA

View Full Version : QQ 4H 215

TheUsher
05-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Just interested in what your first instinct is in this situation. Villain is a LAG, and even more so on the bubble. This would mean he's raising tons of hands here. Treat the initial raise by Villain as a push since it'll pot commit me anyways.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t1750)
BB (t885)
<font color="#C00000">UTG (t5525)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Button (t1840)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Preflop:
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1100</font>, Hero???

Results don't really matter here so I won't give them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll also leave my thoughts and stuff out of the initial post to keep this as unbiased as possible.

UMTerp
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Was the 1100 pretty standard for him? If it wasn't out of the ordinary, you have a pretty easy push IMO.

citanul
05-17-2005, 02:27 PM
all depends on how laggy you can make him...

using eastbay's tools, if you put him on any two cards, getting all in here is a +50ish bucks move. if you put him on 22+, A2+, K2+, Q9+, you are losing about 10 bucks calling. (all according to icm, duh.) throwing in the rest of the Q hands, Q2-Q8, well, you have them thoroughly enough destroyed that just adding those hands to the mix makes it a +EV push, but only by 7 bucks, and considering that you're starting the hand with 500 in equity, i probably wouldn't call basically ever, since you're adding a ton of variance here to pick up your 7 bucks in equity.

all tha said and done, yeah, i probably try to get all in here against a regular more than i try to get all in here against a non regular, but i shouldn't try to get all in here at all, or something. it depends on the "type" of laggy the guy is, yeah, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

citanul

gumpzilla
05-17-2005, 02:31 PM
My first instinct is to push, but I suspect it's probably closer than I might have guessed at first.

There are a couple of important issues to think about that might affect my answer:

- Does the villain have an understanding of position, implying a tighter range here?

- How likely is the BB to call the villain, particularly if the villain has been laggy?

All that said, I think that you stand to gain a lot by doubling up at the expense of the big stack here, probably enough to make up for the 30% of the time that you bust, but in the spirit of the question I'm not really going to look at the math.

gasgod
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Barring the extremely unlikely scenario of getting one caller and then checking it down to the river, villain's bet is equivalent to pushing, since he must call any push, and so must I if I just call. Assuming he knows his pot odds, why didn't he push?

Probably just habit, but I think that his bet, in theory, should be one he hopes you call. By betting only t1100, he is trying to give you the impression that he might fold to an all-in raise. If you think you have any FE, you might make a mistake. Perhaps you will assume that t1100 instead of pushing shows weakness.

I think this is a strategem to keep in mind for future use. Even if your opponent knows what you are doing, making a bet that commits you both to the pot (if called) may gain against a naive opponent, and cannot lose.

Am I overlooking something?

GG

raptor517
05-19-2005, 05:33 AM
this is one of those instances where icm doesnt really work. screw the math behind it, you need to get yer chips in there. JJ i can see folding, but QQ is WORLDS above JJ. holla