PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 hand at World Poker Finals

gaylord focker
12-04-2002, 05:36 PM
I played this hand a while ago at the World Poker Finals and its been bothering me a little so I wanted to throw it out there. Its one of the few situations where I ever though about mucking a set with no stright or flush on board in limit poker.

I sit down an ask a very obvious pro to me left if chops. He has the the fanny pack on, notepad in his front pocket, and wont take his eyes off the board. He says, "well, how do you play?" I respond that I play shity, he laughs and says ok we'll chop then.

Third orbit around I get 66 in the cutoff and open raise. He three bets, and its the first hand ive seen him play since I sat down. I call. Flop comes Q 8 2 rainbow. I check, he bets, I call. Probably should have check raised flop, or check folded. Turn comes a 6 giving me a set. I check, he bets, I raise, and he reraises. I call the turn and the river, and sure enough it was pocket queens as I expected. In retrospect, anyone think i could get away from the hand after his reraise on the turn? The only two other possiblities are KK and AA, and I suppose he could have played these two hands the same way putting me on AQ. But, if I figure to be beat on the turn, I have only one out in whole deck. How many muck on the turn here agaist a super tight player?

soda
12-04-2002, 06:06 PM
After the turn, you can't muck this hand in limit. Doing so, even against only the tightest players will cost you money.

soda

bad beetz
12-04-2002, 06:32 PM
if you lay down a set heads up in limit holdem with no flush or straight on the board, and your opponent is not holding his cards up in front of your face and proclaiming "I have a higher set as you can see, you should fold," you need to have your head examined.

you just can't fold this.

gaylord focker
12-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Maybe I wasted some people's time by posting this, because no I dont think I could ever fold in this situation. However, the funny thing is, I was really about 95% sure that I was beat, and I still called him down. I guess one would have to know his player so well in this situation that he/she was sure they were beat.

andyfox
12-05-2002, 01:46 AM
"How many muck on the turn here agaist a super tight player?"

Not me. But I would already have folded on the flop.

JTG51
12-05-2002, 02:26 AM
Well, you say he could have AA or KK also. With a Q on the board, it's far more likely the has AA or KK than QQ. I think he could easily have AQ also.