PDA

View Full Version : Whats your hourly rate/hows the variance?

Iamafish
05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
At this point in my game Id say I can play anything in low to mid buy-ins. Limit, NL, SnG's. Im trying to figure out where I should be headed, whats the most profitable, and its variance.

Im posting this in mid-high stakes becuase you guys could probably give a better answer.

What's your hourly rate, and hows the variance (im planning on playing 200-400NL)? Also whats your largest downswing?

Thanks.

HoldEmKillah
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm interested in some replies here also. BTW, Iamafish: do I know you from somewhere?

LuvDemNutz
05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
My largest downswing was 11 buy-ins - but that was while I was in the early stages of learning NL.

Since I've been reading the forums and improving my game, my largest downswing was in the area of 5-6 buy-ins. Some of this was tilt-related though.

bkholdem
05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Food for thought: The mid-high stakes guys can answer almost all questions better than in the low stakes. This does not mean they will or should. I am a low stakes player. I read the mid-high stakes board at least a few times a day. I'm content just reading and learning from the posts here. I don't want to ask beginner questions here that will irk the good high stakes posters. I certainly don't want to see high stakes posters stop posting/leave because they feel the board is getting too cluttered with basic type questions from low stakes players. Don't mean to offend or get on your case, just something to think about...

Iamafish
05-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in some replies here also. BTW, Iamafish: do I know you from somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

warlockjd
05-17-2005, 07:01 PM
On Party $400 6 max, I doubt anyone is over 10PTBB/100.

Most winning posters here are probably in the 3-7 PTBB/100 range.

(remember that 1PTBB = 2BB (big blinds).

creedofhubris
05-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Least variance in poker is playing tight, full-ring NL.

More in 6-max, though I think 6-max has significantly less variance than limit, unless you play like a maniac.

Not qualified to talk about S&Gs, but, regardless of variance, I imagine your earn ceiling for NL is much higher.

Prevaricator
05-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I think at the highest stakes, short handed NL has more variance than limit, though I could be wrong. It just seems like since Danny (aka thebruiser) moved up to the 25/50 and 50/100 tables, his fluctuations are far greater in terms of buyins than they were at 5/10 or lower. But then again, I can't say I have any idea of the swings of limit to compare that to.

theBruiser500
05-17-2005, 11:57 PM
UB games are much more LAG compared to PS which is a nit garden so hence higher variance. also as your edge gets lower and lower variance naturally increases (even if overall it's more money hourly rate). still my variance hasn't been too big, when i lose it's mainly my fault, even shorthnaded.

creedofhubris
05-18-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think at the highest stakes, short handed NL has more variance than limit, though I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorthanded 25/50 and up = playing like a maniac.