PDA

View Full Version : Read Theory of Poker

krishanleong
05-17-2005, 12:23 PM
It should be next on the list after SSHE.

Krishan

Deamon2
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
theory of poker is pretty abstract- I'd say its a required read but probably at the end of the list. Applying it to your game is a lot harder than sshe or wllh. But I agree, it's an awesome book.

reubenf
05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Totally.

GrunchCan
05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

And then HPFAP. Maybe swap 'em. Then get the remainder of the 2+2 catalog. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

krishanleong
05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

And then HPFAP. Maybe swap 'em. Then get the remainder of the 2+2 catalog. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HEPFAP sucks in my mind. It is game specific for a game that is dead. TOP provides a ton of theoretical framework stuff. I think it helps you integrate the boards into your knowledge of poker. Great discussion of EV as I remember it.

Krishan

GrunchCan
05-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I dunno, aside from the preflop advice, I thought HPFAP had something to teach.

itsmesteve
05-17-2005, 12:36 PM
What game exactly is dead? I just read HPFAP so i can't claim to have the best grasp on it, but think it would certainly apply to games with thinking opponenets. It also refers to TOP for a more in depth of explaination of certain concepts, so i would recommend TOP first.

istewart
05-17-2005, 12:37 PM
HEPFAP does not suck.

As both Luv2Drive and Entity have said recently, it is not a book to directly apply to today's games, but it has tons of good stuff that neither SSHE or TOP have (and provided a live blinds discussion awhile back).

jrz1972
05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
HEPAP isn't the most useful book for us micro people, but it does contain some valuable info. I learned WA/WB from there, for instance.

krishanleong
05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What game exactly is dead? I just read HPFAP so i can't claim to have the best grasp on it, but think it would certainly apply to games with thinking opponenets. It also refers to TOP for a more in depth of explaination of certain concepts, so i would recommend TOP first.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's meant for a weak tight mid limit/high limit game in my mind. I don't play high enough to offer anything more than speculation though. I read the how to play when you are 3-bet preflop and thought it was good. I don't feel like I got as much out of it though.

Krishan

Fantam
05-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Perhaps this discussion should be in the books/publications section of the forum?

Anyway if we are talking about the same book, I dont know how anyone can not appreciate Hold-Em Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth.

I know it is aimed at higher stakes players, but it is one of the best poker books I have ever read, along with SSH, TOP and a lot of the other 2+2 books.

KingOtter
05-17-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, aside from the preflop advice, I thought HPFAP had something to teach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... it was much more positional and situational, and introduced me to playing the players rather than playing the table.

KO

krishanleong
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps this discussion should be in the books/publications section of the forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, in reading the flush hand there were a lot of people who didn't fully understand EV. I think TOP helps you there and with bluffing theory and other foundational concepts helpful at the micro level.

Krishan

Entity
05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's meant for a weak tight mid limit/high limit game in my mind. I don't play high enough to offer anything more than speculation though. I read the how to play when you are 3-bet preflop and thought it was good. I don't feel like I got as much out of it though.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

The section on shorthanded play in HEPFAP is worthwhile. I do agree, however, that everyone should be reading TOP, multiple times over.

Rob

krishanleong
05-17-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The section on shorthanded play in HEPFAP is worthwhile. I do agree, however, that everyone should be reading TOP, multiple times over.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

HEPFAP's section on shorthand is nothing compared to a day of diligent reading/research of the HUSH forum.

Krishan

DMBFan23
05-17-2005, 12:53 PM
IMO much of TOP's value comes from not just the content, but the further thinking it stimulates. it's kind of abstract and conceptual, so it lends itself really well to that.

Entity
05-17-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

HEPFAP's section on shorthand is nothing compared to a day of diligent reading/research of the HUSH forum.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably quite a bit less than a day of diligent reading/research, especially if you filter to look for posts by Diablo/Ulysses, Nate, Schneids, Nikla, and others. That said, unless you've got a laptop, HEPFAP is a lot better toilet reading material for studying up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

BatsShadow
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
HEPFAP did a whole lot for our heads-up game last night, didn't it GrunchCan?

My order:
SSHE
HEPFAP
SSHE
Theory
SSHE

McGahee
05-17-2005, 01:26 PM
The HUSH forum is also home to that guy with the avatar of that chick with big cans. It's worth a visit.

sin808
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Wasn't sure if you'd seen this one (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0935926259/qid=1116368908/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-3466863-5908848?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) . I read an earlier draft of it, has an excellent SH section. Thread here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2306407&page=1&view=e xpanded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=) in the books forum on it with a few reviews.

aK13
05-17-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HEPFAP did a whole lot for our heads-up game last night, didn't it GrunchCan?

My order:
SSHE
HEPFAP
SSHE
Theory
SSHE

[/ QUOTE ]

I think HEPFAP is more for serious 2+2 games, where the table is full of tight, aggressive, thinking players. For example, I remember a post by somebody (Entity or Shillx) where he coldcalled a UTG raise with AK for deception and had everyone on the forums guess his hand -- I was one of the few people who actually guessed his hand correctly (yes, I'm bragging =P)...a lot of players thought he was donking around with a low PP and hit a set on the flop, when actually he had top two pair. These types of plays, I find, are completely useless against fish, but are very effective against other thinking players.

Also, I think it is agreed that Theory is one of the best NL poker reads. I'm working on getting TPFAP from stars FPP.

johnc
05-17-2005, 06:50 PM
The concepts in SSHE made much more sense to me after I read TOP and re-read SSHE.

Entity
05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't sure if you'd seen this one (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0935926259/qid=1116368908/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-3466863-5908848?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) . I read an earlier draft of it, has an excellent SH section. Thread here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2306407&page=1&view=e xpanded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=) in the books forum on it with a few reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's on my (short) list of books to buy.

Rob