PDA

View Full Version : Getting spoiled by poker...

KaneKungFu123
05-17-2005, 11:49 AM
i sort of get the feeling that poker might get boring after awhile and is overall pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but i dont want to go to college, and i cant imagine working some low paying job for 100K/year.

i think im gonna start really living it up, the high life, then when i rn out of dough or get bored ill just head to india or bangledesh and live in the woods, and hallucinate god, or become a foreign bank robber - the trick is to not be taken alive under an circumstances.

im sickened by the proposition of a comfortable life.

Vincent Lepore
05-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Good Luck!

Vince

benfranklin
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i cant imagine working some low paying job for 100K/year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's hardly worth getting out of bed for.

You will probably get more practical advice here. (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/)

tylerdurden
05-17-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be Canadian.

Jordan Olsommer
05-17-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i sort of get the feeling that poker might get boring after awhile and is overall pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything is pretty meaningless in the "grand scheme of things" if you think about it.

For what it's worth, I would advise reading Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671023373/)

And I would strongly advise against "living the high life" for a while, because once youre sick of drinking and clubbing (or whatever "the high life" means to you, I don't know), you'll be right back at square one with the same problem.

Yeknom58
05-18-2005, 12:01 AM
College if fun...who wouldn't want to go??

goofball
05-18-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
College if fun...who wouldn't want to go??

[/ QUOTE ]

thatpfunk
05-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Live it up.

I believe you're living abroad right now, think about going to college in a foreign country. I think you're an intelligent guy, college is really fun with very little to no responsibility (and you are technically "accomplishing" something).

Do some reading as well, many people share similar feelings (I think you would enjoy Brett Easton Ellis' fiction). GL with it.

KaneKungFu123
05-18-2005, 06:21 AM
i meant to say low paying or boring job paying100k/yr....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's hardly worth getting out of bed for.

You will probably get more practical advice here. (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

KaneKungFu123
05-18-2005, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Live it up.

I believe you're living abroad right now, think about going to college in a foreign country. I think you're an intelligent guy, college is really fun with very little to no responsibility (and you are technically "accomplishing" something).

Do some reading as well, many people share similar feelings (I think you would enjoy Brett Easton Ellis' fiction). GL with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks.

have read easton briefly and appreciate minimalistic writing.

count1
05-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Sad to here this. Get some counseling now and try to find some meaning for your life if you can.
I was saying the same things you are saying now when I was your age,and believe me the path you describe can only lead to destruction.
Good luck.
I felt compelled to respond to your post because I have led that lifestyle and can attest to the fact that nothing good can come of it.

Dr. Strangelove
05-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Take the money you are making and use it to make a lot more. At some point you will probably think of something meaningful to do and the money will be useful.

neon
05-18-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i sort of get the feeling that poker might get boring after awhile and is overall pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but i dont want to go to college, and i cant imagine working some low paying job for 100K/year.

i think im gonna start really living it up, the high life, then when i rn out of dough or get bored ill just head to india or bangledesh and live in the woods, and hallucinate god, or become a foreign bank robber - the trick is to not be taken alive under an circumstances.

im sickened by the proposition of a comfortable life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi KKF.

As I understand it, you're a pretty young guy living abroad w/ very little in terms of living expenses. I also gather that you're a rather successful online NLHE player.

My suggestion, knowing nothing more about you than the above, is to keep doing what you're doing, and start siphoning some money out of your online bankroll and into some sort of high-interest bearing savings account (disclaimer: I know jack shiat about investment issues; others would be infinitely more qualified to advise you on the particulars of this, but you get the general idea).

Very, very few people are fortunate enough to know what they want to do w/ their life at a young age. I, for one, have been out of school for a couple of years now, have tried a couple different hats on and still have no effing clue what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

I guess what I'm getting at is, you're young, and you have money. You don't know what you want to do right now, but you don't seem to be too interested in any traditional lifestyles. So play cards for a while, until the games aren't good anymore or you get so sick of it you can't stand it anymore, and keep stashing money away. Then you'll have a nice little nestegg to fall back on and you can go live in the woods and smoke pot or find Buddha or read Satre or whatever, without having any monetary concerns.

There are lots of interesting jobs out there, and lots of jobs in which you can make lots of money. Unfortunately, for most people, these two almost never coincide. You're in the unique position of being able to pursue the former without having to fret over the latter, and I say, take advantage.

-neon.

kiddo
05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Easton Ellis is everything but minimalistic. For example American Pshyco is a long list of cool things they do and cool stuff they wear and in between a few pages of killing.

Ellis style is journalistic, not minimalstic.

If u want do whatever but not live a normal life u could try read Kerouac, thats excatly what he is trying to do. I dont know how old u are but that was my favourite author when I was 18-22 and then I had the same feelings about life as u do. (15 years later Im writing an phd in fiction literature at university, but thats another story).

fsuplayer
05-19-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Take the money you are making and use it to make a lot more. At some point you will probably think of something meaningful to do and the money will be useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo bango bongo.

jackdaniels
05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Best. Advice. Ever.

el kang
05-20-2005, 02:30 AM
find a guru. sometimes it is difficult to find your path without some push. a person, place or event.

otherwise, you can go with the old standbys - religion and/or drugs.

in any case, you are not bored of poker now so just plan some bank robberies in your spare time for now.
See! Identity crisis averted.

nothumb
05-20-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way you're going to do this. You're probably going to fizzle out, play outside your bankroll, get broke, decide having disposable income isn't so bad after all, go on a desperate losing streak, get a moderately attractive girlfriend with no self esteem, beat her up, develop a drug problem, steal from some people, beg your parents for money, come crawling back to the States, and then live in their basement, trying to pick up chicks in the local organic coffee house by telling stories about your spiritual awakening in the Orient.

Though maybe not in that order.

NT

KaneKungFu123
05-20-2005, 04:25 AM
"houses are full of things that gather dust."

[ QUOTE ]
Easton Ellis is everything but minimalistic. For example American Pshyco is a long list of cool things they do and cool stuff they wear and in between a few pages of killing.

Ellis style is journalistic, not minimalstic.

If u want do whatever but not live a normal life u could try read Kerouac, thats excatly what he is trying to do. I dont know how old u are but that was my favourite author when I was 18-22 and then I had the same feelings about life as u do. (15 years later Im writing an phd in fiction literature at university, but thats another story).

[/ QUOTE ]

KaneKungFu123
05-20-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way you're going to do this. You're probably going to fizzle out, play outside your bankroll, get broke, decide having disposable income isn't so bad after all, go on a desperate losing streak, get a moderately attractive girlfriend with no self esteem, beat her up, develop a drug problem, steal from some people, beg your parents for money, come crawling back to the States, and then live in their basement, trying to pick up chicks in the local organic coffee house by telling stories about your spiritual awakening in the Orient.

Though maybe not in that order.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

you beat your gf?

nothumb
05-20-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you beat your gf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only when she asks me to.

NT