PDA

View Full Version : rebuild the twin towers...

whiskeytown
05-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Donald Trump unveiled his plan today to propose rebuilding the Twin Towers in NYC -

most folks agree the freedom tower design blows, and it's structurally unsound and possibly more susceptible to attack from other things - not to mention the architect got the job cause of political cronyism...

after almost 4 yrs, I have to agree this feels like a lot better idea to me - I say rebuild them (and they can do it better/stronger then before, with more attention paid to the threats that someone could throw at it) -

Freedom tower...what a [censored] awful monstrosity. -

As long as we can keep him from calling them the Trump Towers, I'm in /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

wacki
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Agreed linky (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1017962&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1)

This move makes me like Trump a whole lot more. I hope they build them bigger and bader then before and put a big FAH Q sign on it pointing toward the Middle East.

Meant for Osama and his cronies of course. Glad to hear this whiskey.

In 5 minutes this real news thread will be buried under a pile of mindless babble.

daryn
05-17-2005, 02:56 PM
i think if trump is involved there's almost no chance his name isn't all over it. it's how he works.

05-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Do you think they will be able to rent all of the space out in new "twin towers"? I sure don't. The Port Authority has already said that they are not going to go back to the WTC site (I believe they own the land, and they were one of the largest tenants of the old WTC -- the head of the PA, Neil Levin, was killed in 9/11). They don't think their employees want to go back there.

Little story: a couple of years ago I was in an office building in Philly (I am in the NYC metro area). It was the first building in Philly taller than Penn's head (name escapes me). I commented to the guy I was meeting with how nice the space was. He told me it was a shame that the building had a great deal of empty space. I asked why ... he told me "terrorism".

Now, I agree ... that fear is absolutely ridiculous. But if people in Philly don't want to rent space in tall buildings, do you really think business in NY are going to be flocking to a new "twin towers"? Two buildings with bullseyes on them? This is why, for commercial reasons, I think they need to build something else there.

jakethebake
05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think they will be able to rent all of the space out in new "twin towers"?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're up a creek financially.

TimM
05-17-2005, 03:40 PM
There's a reason why nearly every movie and TV show that had anything to do with NY had a shot of the towers in it somewhere. They were unique and they defined New York.

samjjones
05-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Iconic or not, I am strongly opposed to rebuilding the Twin Towers there. Symbolically, they serve as a memorial to the thousands who died there. Lower Manhattan is completely dependent on there being a whole lot of office space in that area, though. Freedom Tower wasn't a great design, IMO, so let's see what they come up with next.

TimM
05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't see what a better memorial could be than the original tower design itself.

Some links:

http://www.teamtwintowers.org/

http://www.makenynyagain.com/

Trump on Hardball (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7832944/)

Bluffoon
05-17-2005, 04:19 PM
I have always thought that this is a great idea. Build'em right back up there and put a giant middle finger right on top.

I'll be the first volunteer to work on the top floor.

jakethebake
05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have always thought that this is a great idea. Build'em right back up there and put a giant middle finger right on top.

I'll be the only volunteer to work on the top floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffoon
05-17-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussies

jakethebake
05-17-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussies

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it has more to do with companies not wanting to see their entire firm wiped out at once again than it is a matter of bravery. Plus I'm guessing insurance is gonna be a bear. It's a financial issue.

whiskeytown
05-17-2005, 06:26 PM
it is my understanding, however that the original site where the towers stood will still be a memorial

two similar towers will be built alongside the original spots (there was a lot of space cleared out by the collapse) - and a memorial will be left for the footprint of the two old buildings -

I say rebuild them - and give Osama a final [censored] you -

RB

chesspain
05-17-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Little story: a couple of years ago I was in an office building in Philly. It was the first building in Philly taller than Penn's head...He told me it was a shame that the building had a great deal of empty space. I asked why ... he told me "terrorism".

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought if you worked in Philly your safety would increase as your distance increased away from the ground floor and the rest of the city's inhabitants.

ClaytonN
05-17-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think if trump is involved there's almost no chance his name isn't all over it. it's how he works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with you there Daryn, but only because it's the twin towers.