PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

MissOt
05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
1. i see that party and stars both have .5/1 stud, but stars has a .05 ante while party's ante is .25. is the .25 ante too much for someone playing tight like me? is the stars game or party game better ante wise.

2. i dont play much stud and havent read much about it. my normal game is NL100. i was just wondering what level of stud i could beat right now. like wheres the cutoff for when people have brains. ive been playing the stars .5/1 and theres some people that probably never played poker before

thx

Michael Emery
05-17-2005, 09:30 AM
1.) The .25 ante in the party game will force you to play like a maniac if you want to survive. Thats why low limit party games are generally terrible for someone starting out and wanting to learn properly. The .5 ante at stars is the typical 10% ante used at 5-10 through 20-40 on party. I would definitely advise you simply paly on stars until you get some experience. The stars structure sounds like a good deal for you.

2.) I've actually played with people that I didnt think had brains at 5-10 through 20-40 on party. In my opinion you would have to rate as a very good or better stud player to beat 10-20 or 20-40 on party for any real money. However with a little experience the 3-6 and 5-10 games are much easier and very beatable. So thats what I would advise for you once you have a better grasp of the game. Best of luck to you.

Mike Emery

blackize
05-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Read a book on stud. Play the .5/1 or 1/2 at Stars. The ante at the low limit tables on Party is absurd. The .5/1 at Stars is really loose with the 1/2 being only a little bit better. With a little knowledge of good starting hands you could probably beat the 1/2 for a small amount right now.