PDA

View Full Version : Laying down QQ, AA? NL 10/1 Sitngo

Rex Ruthless
05-17-2005, 08:40 AM
HAND #1
Early stages of a $10+$1 Sitngo on UB. We all have fairly equal stacks and too early for any player reads. I am dealt QQ in the BB. Folds around to the CO who raises 3x BB. Button calls. I raised all-in and get called by the button with KK. What's a better way to play this? Raise, but not all-in? How much of a raise? If the CO or button reraises big or all-in, do I fold? If I would have seen the flop without being all-in, it was all rags less than T. Then what? In fact the board was all less than T by the river - no flushes, no board pairs, middle str8 possibilities tho. How do I put the button on KK or AA?

HAND #2
Early stages of another $10+$1 Sitngo on UB. We all have fairly equal stacks and again too early for any player reads. I get AA in MP. One EP limper, I raise 3.5X BB. Limper calls. Flop is 37Jrainbow. Limper checks, I bet 2/3 of the pot. He thinks for awhile and calls. Great . . . I am thinking he has a J and I can extract chips. Turn is a 9. He checks. I bet a little more than the pot size. He check raises most of his chips. I decide to take my chances with AA and push, but half suspecting 2 pair (would he really call my raise with J9?). Sure enough he shows J9o and I bust out. How could I have played this better?

Kristian
05-17-2005, 08:47 AM
You lost because of bad luck, not bad play. Don't worry about it.

durron597
05-17-2005, 09:23 AM
What were the stack sizes and blinds?

Rex Ruthless
05-17-2005, 10:21 AM
stack sizes all fairly equal at around 1500-2000 or so; blinds 20/40

wiggs73
05-17-2005, 10:40 AM
i think both of these plays are fine, especially at the 10+1 level. the second hand is a bit more interesting than the first, but i can see him doing this with a lot more (worse) hands than 2 pair.

Scuba Chuck
05-17-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do I put the button on KK or AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO

dcasper70
05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
My 2 cents...
Hand 1: How do you NOT put at least one of them on AA, KK, or AK? It's early and you have no read on them. Unless they've already shown that they raise 3x with JJ, TT, or AQs, I say bail. If you stay and raise, and get reraised, of course you're beat, run away screaming 'Uncle'.
I say your best option is to fold the Queens (wait until you fold KK preflop to AA, what a great feeling). Second best is to call then push in on the rag flop. If neither of them hit it, they may fold fearing the set.
Hand 2: No way you can put that guy on J9, but that check raise on the turn would scream set to me. You're representing a big overpair, and he check raises almost all-in??? He's either a moron, got big brass ones, or he's got you beat. So in reality he's two of those options, a moron who has you beat, save your chips for a better spot.

bluefeet
05-17-2005, 11:03 AM
#1: personally, i just call with QQ. even though i'm ahead of all but 2 hands, i quite honestly don't want a call even by AK. just too early for me PF. but on the flop you described, i'm going broke for sure. tough break.

#2: i think you played this just fine, unfortunately villian was was willing to 'gamble'.

bad breaks - not bad plays.

bluefeet
05-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Ps. #2 - i misread/failed to read, the betting correctly. again, not bad betting on your part, but i DO give it up to his reraise - despite the chips you already have in the pot.

Karak567
05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
At a 10 + 1 never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER lay down QQ, KK or AA pre-flop, NEVER.

The second hand, oh well, bad luck, depending on stack sizes I might have jammed the turn.

wiggs73
05-17-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: How do you NOT put at least one of them on AA, KK, or AK?

[/ QUOTE ]
You really think that after it folds around to the CO that it's going to take one of these 3 hands to raise 3x the blind? At the 10+1 level? ... Are you even being serious? Your argument for the 2nd hand is at least plausible but if you fold QQ from the BB when the CO opened for 3x, you play WAY too weak-tight.

Moonsugar
05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Hand 1: You are going to lose all your chips in this hand. However, the way you played it makes it near impossible to make any money with one of your best starting hands. Not many people are going to call your all-in with a hand you dominate, TT, AQ, etc. but they will call a smaller raise. Raise a more reasonable amount.

Hand 2: Tough luck. I lose all my chips and play it similarly also.

durron597
05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stack sizes all fairly equal at around 1500-2000 or so; blinds 20/40

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1: I reraise to about 325 preflop. Still hard to make the fold when he pushes though.

Hand 2: I raise to 175 preflop to kill preflop implied odds. If he calls anyway then I go bust too.

dcasper70
05-17-2005, 11:38 AM
First off, I misread that OP was in BB. That may warrant a call, but with a raise AND a call AND no read, I still wait for a better spot, and I might add, would have still been in this tourney. Early in tourney, I'll give up my 20 chip blind to test this read. BTW OP posted that CO RAISED 3x, so it's 3 bets to call into a 9.5 bet pot (CO 4, Button 4, SB .5, BB 1).
Your point is taken regarding the 10+1 level, lots of boneheads there and I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see that OP had best hand, but I'd play the same way on a $500+65 tourney as I would a $5+1.

Rex Ruthless
05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
scuba chuck:
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do I put the button on KK or AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the very useful advice scuba - much appreciated

Moonsugar
05-17-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First off, I misread that OP was in BB. That may warrant a call, but with a raise AND a call AND no read, I still wait for a better spot,

[/ QUOTE ]

1) It doesn't warrant a call, it warrants a raise.
2) You are all afraid cause of a CO first in raise and a button call in the first rounds of a SNG?
3) Good luck finding a better spot.

Rex Ruthless
05-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks all for the great advice! Wasn't happy with how I played these hands - hence the post.