PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Jacks into Flush Draw?

dcssullivan
05-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Started this hand with pocket J's.

Please critique my pre-flop play, and post flop, and give recommendations for the turn.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($30.14)
CO ($25)
Button ($142.52)
SB ($27.75)
BB ($31.9)
Hero ($21)
UTG+1 ($11.65)
MP1 ($28.1)
MP2 ($40.08)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.10) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $3.75</font>, Hero calls $1.75.

Turn: ($8.60) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>,

Hero....

boondockst
05-17-2005, 07:43 AM
that min-reraise is either very fishy or very scary...you up against quad aces (no way)...K /images/graemlins/club.gif x /images/graemlins/club.gif maybe?

subzero
05-17-2005, 08:03 AM
I like limping in preflop since you're UTG. I would've raised a little more on the flop ($3). On the turn, I'd raise. I think villain has AQ or AT. I'd hate to see him catch a higher boat on the river for free.

PinkSteel
05-17-2005, 08:23 AM
It looks like you're most likely about to beat a flush, so I'd be thinking about what path to take to make it mostly likely to double up. You've got $17 left behind at the turn, right?

You could call, but that would leave $12 left to push on the river, and if a sufficiently scary card comes he *might* be able to get away. Not too likely though.

You could push, but again he *might* be able to lay down to it; again, not likely.

I'd minraise him. I don't think there's any way he folds to a minraise, and it leaves you just $7 to push on the river, which he will also definitely call if he has the flush.

Finite_Risk
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
I'd minraise him. I don't think there's any way he folds to a minraise, and it leaves you just $7 to push on the river, which he will also definitely call if he has the flush.

Ditto

Ghazban
05-17-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that min-reraise is either very fishy or very scary...you up against quad aces (no way)...K /images/graemlins/club.gif x /images/graemlins/club.gif maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scary no, fishy yes. It basically tells you villain flopped a flush but gives you decent odds (including implied odds) to boat up.

To the OP, I'd flat call the turn bet and get it in on the river. Raising the turn indicates you are no longer afraid of the flush and lets him get away cheaply. Granted, the board could pair/trip on the river and kill your action but I think raising the turn kills your action, too unless he's such a donk that he won't ever fold a flush (in which case, it doesn't really matter what you do as the money is going in regardless).

dcssullivan
05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
I really did feel he had a flush after the flop because of the way he re-raised me. The second Ace came up, and it worried me a bit about him having a FH as well, but I figured if he did have the flush (chances were that he did, because why else re-raise?, plus no pf raise), I'd have him beat barring a Royal Flush, which I was willing to chance. And actually, he was holding K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, so there was still that chance after the turn.

But, I pushed all-in, he called. And believe it or not, a third Ace came on the board. I'm not quite sure if I would have had the cojones to play after that, so I was glad I pushed when I did. When I pushed, I didn't care if he figured he was beat, because I would've been happy just taking the pot that was there, but he must not have seen it. I guess you get blinders on sometimes when you flop the nut flush.

But even after, I still wondered if that was the right move or not? I did extract the maximum amount of money from my opponent, but I only did it because he was too blinded by his flush to think something better might be out there. Thanks all for offering other insights into it and into my preflop and post flop play. These should help me immensely for the future.