PDA

View Full Version : Should I valuebet the river on this multi-way pot?

Arm187r
05-17-2005, 04:38 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

I think I played this hand fairly well but I didn't know if I should of bet the river or not.

1) Runner-runner flush is unlikely but not impossible. I didn't want to get c/r here and pay-off.

2) Also I didn't cap preflop? Mistake or not, I waited to the turn cause I figured I'd get bet into again and I'd collect more BB's on the turn than I gave up SB's on the flop.(Just cap the flop and bet the turn?)

adsman
05-17-2005, 04:46 AM
I'm going full on aggressive on that flop. It's highly likely that 2 pair is out there and they can suckout good. If I had a dollar for every time I had a str8 on the flop that got wrecked on the turn.....

I'm also betting the river.

cmwck
05-17-2005, 04:48 AM
I don't care if they're sooted, fold PF. EDIT:You could probably play it if you had a read on the table though.

If you hate money, that's one way to play it on the flop...
You missed about 2.5 BB there.

Good, at least you raised the turn.

Do I think you should value-bet the second nuts on the river? ...Yes

matt42s
05-17-2005, 04:48 AM
not sure about capping the flop, could go either way.
I would bet the river, I think you would have heard from the flush. and yes I would have paid it off.

adsman
05-17-2005, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care if they're sooted, fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play this hand preflop. You've just got to know how to play it postflop to make a profit. Also, hero doesn't have the second nuts.

cmwck
05-17-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care if they're sooted, fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play this hand preflop. You've just got to know how to play it postflop to make a profit. Also, hero doesn't have the second nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops. OK, I guess someone could have AQ for a higher straight. Its still a value bet though.

Arm187r
05-17-2005, 04:56 AM
2nd nuts? I don't even have the nut straight.

I'm not in love with Q9 suited if thats what you guys are afraid of.

Arm187r
05-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Another reason I didn't cap the flop was because I wasn't afraid of any flush draws at the time.
I thought I read somewhere to wait till the turn to get your big raises in? Is that concept for HU action?
Besides if I cap the flop will I get bet into again on the turn?
This table was loose but not excessively if that makes any difference.
I realize I pussed out on the river i felt it at the time to, but AQ and the runner-runner flush possiblility made me a bit wary.

bottomset
05-17-2005, 05:07 AM
preflop is fine

cap the flop
bet the river

cmwck
05-17-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another reason I didn't cap the flop was because I wasn't afraid of any flush draws at the time.
I thought I read somewhere to wait till the turn to get your big raises in? Is that concept for HU action?
I realize I pussed out on the river i felt it at the time to, but AQ and the runner-runner flush possiblility made me a bit wary.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just call the flop, you'll win 0 extra BBs, plus you'll win 6 BBs on the turn.

If you cap the flop, you'll win 3 extra BBs, plus 3 BBs on the turn.

So, you can win the same amount by capping the flop, but you might get more if he really likes his hand and bets into you on the turn.

dozer
05-17-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop is ok,

You must cap this flop, you have everyone trapped for one more bet. Waiting for the turn to raise is for when you have a vulnerable hand that can't be protected with a flop raise, so you wait for the turn to raise when a safe card falls I think.

I would bet this river for value. I doubt someone has AQ since there was no preflop raise. I think someone would bet if they hit thier runner runner flush, instead of going for a checkraise.

Stinkybeaver
05-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I'd value bet the river. I think the chances of you gettin beat by a flush are possible but small.

REst is fine

MrWookie47
05-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi, dona eis requiem.
Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi, dona eis requiem.
Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi, dona eis requiem, sempiternam.

In loving memory of the kittens the Lord struck down for not betting this river.

davelin
05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Easy bet on the river.

mlb3zr
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Yes, bet the river. No pfr makes AQ unlikely. Runner/runner flush would suck, but you can't always be afraid of it.

I'd cap the flop because it sure looks like nobody is going away for one more bet. The other reason is because even though people are betting and raising now, you don't know if they will continue on the turn, especially when something like a king or ace falls.

txdolly
05-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Bet the river. You may get overcalls from weaker hands.

bozlax
05-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Cap the flop. You're next-to-last to act, and everybody's stayed in so far, nobody will fold for one more. If you're going to lose bets on the Turn, it's going to be because you suddenly show aggression, not because you're continuing aggression you showed on the flop. And, in this field, I'm thinking it's unlikely that anybody's going to notice your coldcall-cap.

Bet the river. Nobody's going that nuts on the flop on a flush draw, and, excluding a flush, you're holding the second nuts, and it's been checked to you. Bet and save Wookie's kitten.

bozlax
05-17-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whoops. OK, I guess someone could have AQ for a higher straight. Its still a value bet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got the second nut straight. There are, what, 45 possible flushes?

jrz1972
05-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Q9s is a perfectly fine pf limp from the CO with a couple of limpers.

Don't slowplay flopped straights. They can get ruined in a hurry. Cap the flop, bet/raise the turn, and bet the river.

Marquis
05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
I don't get why everyone is advocating capping the flop. You should 3-bet it. You shouldn't be in position to cap it.

OrianasDaad
05-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Grunch:

PF: I don't like calling with this after only two limpers, but it's more a matter of preference. It depends on the limpers, I guess.

Flop: Wow. Nice flop. Too bad a straight is still a vulnerable hand with 5-opponents (something I learned playing Omaha High). I 3-bet it here to narrow the field because there are quite a few cards that set up redraws.

Turn: This is one of those cards. You can raise for value here, though.

River: Well, at least it isn't a 9, Q or A. Bet here for value and call a check-raise.

1) Unlikely, but still a possibility.
2) Raising Q9s from the CO is marginal preflop.

homebrewer
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I think I cap the flop. Like the turn. Bet the river. Scary to bet the river, but I would probably bet it.

car ramrod
05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
yes, valuebet this river.

I would cap the flop also. Everyone else is going to call 1 more, so you missed some bets there.