PDA

View Full Version : Two hands

Hiatus
05-17-2005, 04:09 AM
This is my first hand post, so I hope I'm doing it right. I've only been playing for about four months and have moved up the limits from 5c/10c following the 300BB bankroll rule. I've done pretty well until I started 1/2 at Party a few weeks ago and hit a 160BB losing streak. I'm really frustrated, and I know I have a lot of holes in my game, and I don't quite know where to start, so I think I just need to start posting some hands and working my way through this. I'm sure this is basic stuff for most, but that's where I'm at.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB is LAA.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

aK13
05-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Hand 1 looks fine.

Hand 2 I fold on the flop. Board is draw heavy, 2 overs, small pot, and lots of players. The turn call is even worse.

dozer
05-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2: you should fold this on the flop, with low pairs I play them to make a set. The turn call sucks, were you hoping to catch your 2 outer on the river or something?

Matt Jenko
05-17-2005, 04:17 AM
I would play hand 1 the same. You have TP with a decent kicker and although you are probably beaten, I would call down as well. Hand 2, fold the turn. There is very little you are drawing to here and could be hopelessly behind. The pot is not very large, so there is no need to continue here. I would however be tempted to raise preflop here with this hand.

I have only been playing 6 months myself and had a similar issue going from .5/1 to 1/2 at party. I had to drop back down and grind away to have another go. Keep plugging away and reviewing your game and that 160BB downswing will turn around. 1/2 seems to be the biggest jump to make I felt as I am now playing the 3/6 and found the jump in limits you are making to be the toughest. Have a go at the 1/2 6-max when you have the bankroll (very sensible approach you have adopted) as this might help your shorthanded game which becomes more important as you rise the limits.

Matt Jenko
05-17-2005, 04:20 AM
advocating the openfold /images/graemlins/wink.gif?

SoftcoreRevolt
05-17-2005, 04:25 AM
Hand two, you need to fold that turn. The flop bet is.. interesting, but you have third pair here, in this situation you could easily be behind a 9 in EP who is going to call down, or maybe even T2-3. Plus there's draws and other things.

If that 4 were a 6 on the flop you could argue for calling the turn.

ArturiusX
05-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Hand 1 is good.

Hand 2: I raise preflop since I posted, and I'd bet this maybe 40% of the time, depending on how weak the table I'm playing at is. I want to get heads up if I bet. In saying that, the boards pretty draw heavy, so I think I might check-fold.

adsman
05-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Hand 2 I raise preflop and autobet the flop. The way you played it is just leaking money.

dozer
05-17-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
advocating the openfold /images/graemlins/wink.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]
heh,oops I meant to any aggression.

MrEngenic
05-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Hand 1:
You have to call down. He could have AK but he could also have picked up a flush draw that he semibluffs with. He could even have AQ-AT if you don't have a read on him. You will not win very often in these situations but if you fold in these spots you will be exposed to semibluffs all the time.

Hand 2:
Just let go of the hand on the flop. There is a flush draw, a possible straight draw and 4 opponents. With 4 opponents this is a bad spot to bluff, HU or 3-way if you have a tight image sure go ahead. With a flush draw and cards like 9-Q chances are EXTREMELY HIGH that the flop have hit someone in an multiway unraised pot! People often limp with 78s to QJs so 9T will give someone a pair, two pair or a straight draw very often.
Bad call on the turn, if you get a flush on the river someone will most likely get a higher one.

Quercus
05-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Hand 1 is standard.

Hand 2 - Take the free card offered on the flop - you won't take this hand down here often enough against four other players again this board.

mlb3zr
05-17-2005, 10:40 AM
hand one is okay because of your read on SB. check raises from good, thinking opponents are a bit easier to fold to.

hand two, I'd raise preflop and go from there. as it is, I think I'd take the free card rather than betting because you have third pair, not second, and because the board is fairly draw-heavy. in this situation, you're not likely to take the pot here because anyone with a piece can continue for one.

jrz1972
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Hand 1 is normal.

Hand 2 should be raised preflop, and of course it will play differently from there. The way you played it, I would probably check-fold the flop and definitely fold the turn.

Hiatus
05-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Regarding hand 2, I bet the flop because I thought there was a good chance I had the best hand. I see now that this was silly, because even if it is best, it's not likely to hold up against so many players.

On the turn, I was thinking that, in addition to my two 7s, I might make a flush. I knew that if I made the flush, it was likely to lose to a higher flush, but I thought it would hold up some of the time--so I thought I had more than just two outs.

I got Poker Tracker a few weeks ago, and it consistently rates me as Tight-Aggressive/Passive. I've also been reading SSHE, which advocates aggression. I think one big reason for my huge losing streak is that I'm trying to be more aggressive after the flop. I think I'm over doing it and giving away a lot of chips. Obviously I need to learn WHEN to be aggressive, which is why you'll be seeing me post more hands for analysis. I really need to get this sorted out, because it's killing my bankroll fast.