PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy the best Johnny Cash boxed set

Blarg
05-17-2005, 03:31 AM
I've always been kind of intrigued by the Man in Black, but have heard very few songs of his. I'm truly not a country fan at all, and am pretty unapologetic about that, but I find myself unable to help somehow being a fan of this guy whenever I hear him.

Can anyone steer me to the best currently available box set of Johnny Cash? I have to admit I'm not that interested in the real recent stuff; I'd like to hear more of what made him Johnny Cash than him covering other people's tunes or doing duets with Fiona Apple, and I'd rather get a good solid sampling of him than track down all his individual records one by one.

Sorry if that sounds too opinionated, and I admit my ignorance in these matters, but I just mean I'm most interested in getting at the heart and soul of the old stuff before exploring the newer stuff.

So can anyone lend their expertise or just opinion?

The Stranger
05-17-2005, 03:45 AM
I don't know if I'm an expert, but I am a fan.

He made a few great songs, and a crapload of really bad ones, especially in the 80's. He would readily admit this. He got jerked around by the music industry and didn't really get to make the kind of music he really wanted to make until he started with American Recordings.

Well, you're asking for vintage stuff. There is a 3 disk set called "Love, God, and Murder," that will get you a good start.

I also recommend Live at Folsom Prison, and Live at San Quentin, which are usually sold as a combo these days.

raisins
05-17-2005, 04:11 AM
Well, this is exactly what you said you didn't want but I recommend the boxed set Unearthed which is from the last four albums he did. I love Johnny Cash and have heard a lot of him and in my opinion this is his best.

Many will disagree but I think the Folsom/San Quentin albums are over rated. The two best songs off of it (it's on 1 CD) are Wanted Man and Cocaine Blues.

If you don't want the American Records tracks then find a box set that has a concentration on the stuff from Sun studios. I think his best song is from then; try and find a set that includes it - Blue Train.

regards,

raisins

nothumb
05-17-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many will disagree but I think the Folsom/San Quentin albums are over rated. The two best songs off of it (it's on 1 CD) are Wanted Man and Cocaine Blues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Folsom is an average live album, but San Quentin is one of the greatest of its kind... really the entire second side of this album is brilliant. Great versions of his classic songs (Ring of Fire, Folsom Prison Blues, Daddy Sang Bass, Boy Named Sue etc) plus Wanted Man, which you mentioned, and two good spirituals - Peace in the Valley and He Turned the Water Into Wine.

Yeah, San Quentin is really good.

Blarg, I recommend getting something along the lines of "16 Greatest Hits, Vol. 1" - it's incomplete but it's a good start. I think there's a decent compilation out called "Essential Johnny Cash" also.

Tell you what. PM me if you're interested in this. Mail me an envelope, postage and your address and I'll make you a compilation emphasizing the old stuff but including some excellent new stuff as well.

NT

Barrett's Last Privateer
05-17-2005, 07:35 AM
FWIW, I reckon the stuff Cash did with American is f**king awesome, and whilst I certainly respect your desire to start off with his older stuff, I really recommend you also give some of the American recordings a go, both the original material and covers kick arse.

The Stranger
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I'm an expert, but I am a fan.

He made a few great songs, and a crapload of really bad ones, especially in the 80's. He would readily admit this. He got jerked around by the music industry and didn't really get to make the kind of music he really wanted to make until he started with American Recordings.

Well, you're asking for vintage stuff. There is a 3 disk set called "Love, God, and Murder," that will get you a good start.

I also recommend Live at Folsom Prison, and Live at San Quentin, which are usually sold as a combo these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

just learned how to do screenshots /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

http://img205.echo.cx/img205/7161/cash4ko.jpg

ClassicBob
06-02-2005, 11:55 PM
You have an MP3 by Jim Rome?

The Stranger
06-02-2005, 11:58 PM
His CD, from 1998:
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drd900/d958/d95841rj475.jpg

more info (http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,369420,00.html)

gorie
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
the essential johnny cash 1955-1983 (columbia country classics) 3 cd box set is great. probably the way you want to go.

the bear family box sets are also very good, and have a lot more songs. my favorite of the 3 bear family box sets i have, is probably the man in black 1959-'62 (pink one), because of the religous music on the first disc. then 1954-1958 (blue one). i never really listened to the other one much i guess.

and just because i can:
http://www.kingofthebop.com/jcboxset.jpg
http://www.kingofthebop.com/records1.jpg

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

also, the sun years CD is a very good cd for starters, if you don't want to buy a whole box set (if i remember correctly, those bear family ones were pretty expensive).

The Stranger
06-03-2005, 12:49 AM
will you marry me?

gorie
06-03-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
will you marry me?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'd consider it if you had a record collection like my boyfriend does. aha.

The Stranger
06-03-2005, 12:56 AM
I gave up on collecting vinyl because I move too much. Its a pain in the ass. I do have 12 rare JRC 45s though that I bought on ebay.

gorie
06-03-2005, 12:58 AM
this is all i have :/
http://www.kingofthebop.com/records2.jpg top shelf. and left of 2nd.

i stopped buying 7 years ago when we moved in together (except a couple). so now i'm basically stuck w/ him forever or i'll have a LOT of expensive catching up to do...

and yeah... we are moving at the end of this month, it's definitely going to suck moving all of that !! cds too, ahhh.