PDA

View Full Version : Boogie Nights

thatpfunk
05-17-2005, 03:28 AM
Is a great [censored] movie. The comedy is priceless, and the story + acting is excellent.

Reed Rothchild: Hey, are those lizard?
Dirk: No, they're Italian. I'm gonna [censored]' buy these.

samjjones
05-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah, whenever my wife is mad at me, I just sing the first couple of bars of "You've Got The Touch" in an extremely off-key way, and she instantly forgives me...

captZEEbo1
05-17-2005, 01:23 PM
this is in my top 5 movies of all time. Furthermore, I think it's P.T. Anderson's best movie (ahead of Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, and obviously ahead of Hard Eight).

CCass
05-17-2005, 11:36 PM
And JulieAnn Moore is naked!!!

jakethebake
05-17-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With Heather Graham also naked, wtf cares about Julianne Moore?

thatpfunk
05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, whenever my wife is mad at me, I just sing the first couple of bars of "You've Got The Touch" in an extremely off-key way, and she instantly forgives me...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think someone could keep a straight face no matter how angry...

IndieMatty
05-17-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is a great [censored] movie. The comedy is priceless, and the story + acting is excellent.

Reed Rothchild: Hey, are those lizard?
Dirk: No, they're Italian. I'm gonna [censored]' buy these.

[/ QUOTE ]

PTA is the man.

miajag81
05-17-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With Heather Graham also naked, wtf cares about Julianne Moore?

[/ QUOTE ]

They both are highly overrated IMO.

Blarg
05-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Julianne Moore really gives me dry dreams, but Heather Graham is very sexy.

Jack of Arcades
05-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Mmmm. Julianne Moore.

I don't much like the second half of Boogie Nights.

youtalkfunny
05-18-2005, 02:36 AM
I used to feel the same way about the second half of "Goodfellas".

In both cases, you eventually overcome your distaste for the drug scene.

thatpfunk
05-18-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the contrast between the two halves a lot. The second half is definetly not as pleasant to watch, but extremely interesting and well done IMO. The drug addiction aspects (especially Moore's) are good.

Jack of Arcades
05-18-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the contrast between the two halves a lot. The second half is definetly not as pleasant to watch, but extremely interesting and well done IMO. The drug addiction aspects (especially Moore's) are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't a well done thing. It's got very striking imagery, sound, dialogue - it leaves an impression.

I'm just saying I don't like it.

Phoenix1010
05-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Saw it for the first time today. Excellent movie. Great story, great cast, great acting (Markie Mark's performance is incredible), and great soundtrack. The sex stuff was just icing.

dsm
05-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Perfect cast. It was the first movie I'd ever noticed Philip Seymour Hoffman:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/News/Pictures/1999/04/17/hoffman128.jpg

It was amusing the way his character tried to mimic Wahlberg in hopes of getting closer. I guess it was the scene where he gets rejected by Wahlberg after trying to kiss him where I thought, "Wow, this guy can act."

IMO Burt Reynolds' best performance since "Diliverace."

Don Cheadle had several memorable scenes: Where he's trying to get the loan from the bank. Also when he's trying to sell a stereo by playing a country music tape, MISTAKE. Priceless. Then at the end in the doughnut shop. He's just a really great actor.

And what about Alfred Molina in the drug dealer scene, holy [censored]. He's was fantastic.

http://www.film.pl/images/galeria/200501/midi_0_20050108-002836-47515600.jpg Molina

I never really cared for the song "Jesse's Girl," but Molina gets into it so convincingly that I actually start to like that corny pop song each time I watch the movie. He is simply irreplaceable.

Then there's John C. Reilly.

http://www.kino.de/pix/MBBILDER/MITWIRK/U0438363.JPG

Reilly has the most interesting way of slightly overacting at times, I find it almost hypnotic. Like at the end of the movie when he's doing his magic act [he really gets into it], or after showing Don Cheadle that trick. Or when he's in the recording studio dancing in the engineers room while Wahlberg is distroying that song. I love the scene when Reilly's trying to convince the recording studio's owner to let them have the demo tape.

Reilly: All I know is that I can't
get a record contract, WE.. cannot get a
record contract unless we take those
tapes to the record company. And
granted, the tapes themselves are a
uh um oh, you own them, alright, but
the magic that is on those tapes. That
f*cking heart and soul that we put onto
those tapes, that is ours and you don't
own that!

Most memorable line: I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.

-dsm

andyfox
05-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, Julianne Moore and Bill Macy too. Great, great cast.

Molina was indeed electrifying.

sfer
05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is in my top 5 movies of all time. Furthermore, I think it's P.T. Anderson's best movie (ahead of Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, and obviously ahead of Hard Eight).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hard Eight is a million times better.

mistrpug
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love you.
You love me.
Going down the sugar tree.
We'll go down the sugar tree,
And see lots of bees.
Playing.
Playing.
But the bees won't sting,
Because you love me.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmcd
05-18-2005, 03:46 PM
We want whats in the goddamn safe, in the goddamn master bedroom in the goddamn [censored] floor safe, thats all.

thatpfunk
05-18-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely ridiculous hyperbole.

Also, to stiffle the hipster in you: "The film was re-edited (and re-titled) by Ryshar Entertainment against Anderson's wishes.

sfer
05-18-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely ridiculous hyperbole.

Also, to stiffle the hipster in you: "The film was re-edited (and re-titled) by Ryshar Entertainment against Anderson's wishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion is hyperbole? I didn't like Boogie Nights. I thought it was empty at the center and the final scene (Marky Mark aping DeNiro aping Brando) exemplified it. I loved Hard Eight. A million is probably too small a number.

Also, on the commentary track to Hard Eight, he only said that it was renamed and he will always call the movie Sydney. Nothing about him not having control over final cut.

And the hipster thing. I'm in my office, in a bank, wearing shoes that were custom made in London and cost more than most people's bankrolls on this site. I'm not a hipster.

Benal
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It was amusing the way his character tried to mimic Wahlberg in hopes of getting closer. I guess it was the scene where he gets rejected by Wahlberg after trying to kiss him where I thought, "Wow, this guy can act."

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the movie Owning Mahoney if you like Philip's work.

DeezNuts
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And the hipster thing. I'm in my office, in a bank, wearing shoes that were custom made in London and cost more than most people's bankrolls on this site. I'm not a hipster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, you rock.

"See this system here? This is Hi-Fi... high fidelity. What that means is that it's the highest quality fidelity."

DN

thatpfunk
05-18-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is hyperbole? I didn't like Boogie Nights. I thought it was empty at the center and the final scene (Marky Mark aping DeNiro aping Brando) exemplified it. I loved Hard Eight. A million is probably too small a number.

[/ QUOTE ]

An opinion is an opinion. You are obviously entitled to yours.

I strongly question someone's opinions on movies, however, if they cannot find merit in a film like Boogie Nights. "Empty at the center"? What? Please expand upon this (if you care too) because the respect I have/had for your taste is flying out the window.

jba
05-18-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the movie Owning Mahoney if you like Philip's work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love Liza is also incredible. He's one of my top five actors. (along with william macy, and john reilly must be top ten)

and hard eight was a damn fine movie. I am also not a hipster.

thatpfunk
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and hard eight was a damn fine movie. I am also not a hipster.

[/ QUOTE ]

In no way do I think you have to be a hipster to like Hard Eight. You can think it is a great movie and I'll agree.

However, saying Hard Eight is a million times better than BN is something I can easily imagine my hipster friends saying (simply because of the "more obscure early work is obviously better than the more popular & commerical work" factor. That is the bread and butter of the hipster lifestyle).

mmcd
05-18-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most memorable line: I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to get "FloydGondolli" last time I changed Party nicks but it was already taken.