PDA

View Full Version : Am I taking this to showdown? (JJ, 6-max)

cmwck
05-17-2005, 02:36 AM
A few hands into a new table...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

I raise to protect my hand from Button. Good? Or is button making a mistake anyway if he calls a single bet?

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

What's the plan for the river?

Does this hand look good so far? Should I even be at the river at this point?

Ianco15
05-17-2005, 02:41 AM
If you're calling the flop 3-bet you're going to showdown.

DMBFan23
05-17-2005, 02:41 AM
I prefer calling a flop bet and raising the turn as the alst money I put into the pot, as button is more likely to fold for one on this kind of flop, and he needs exactly KQ to even have 6 outs. more likely if you're ahead he has 0-3 outs.

raising the turn you're more likely to get a free showdown, and you're less likely to get played at by a pair 88-TT

the way you played it, absent a read, I would fold the turn

IMO.

SteveL91
05-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Looks fine to me, and I think you should be calling this river. If he has an Ace in his hand, then congrats to him, but it's doubtful.

JDErickson
05-17-2005, 02:43 AM
Against an unknown you have to call this down.

milesdyson
05-17-2005, 02:50 AM
BB's play is why fastplaying is awesome. If he had called your raised and check raised the turn this hand would be easy to drop.

Your flop raise protects you from a 7 and KQ. That's it though. However, if you call the flop and button calls behind you, you're just stuck in a weird situation if/when BB leads the turn. So, the flop is pretty interesting. I think I like the raise.

So, you raise, but BB 3-bets. You're getting like 11.5:1, which is not enough to call for your two outs, but you still peel. IMO the proper decision from here on is read-dependent. Early in a session, I might just call him down to see what he's fastplaying, but against some players I'm just folding the turn.

edit: I think DMB's line of calling the flop and raising the turn as the last money put into the pot is the best one for this hand. Folding to a turn 3-bet is pretty easy.

benkath1
05-17-2005, 02:53 AM
I don't play much 6 max, but I would think I'm behind after the flop action. I can say to let it go......well, OK I might even find the fold button.

Redd
05-17-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer calling a flop bet and raising the turn as the last money I put into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems counterintuitive to me. The only way you're going to fold him out is if you're ahead and he's drawing to a reasonable max of 3 outs. Why not let him keep beating his brains out if he's behind? I'd spend my two bets seeing a showdown and keeping him in the hand.

JDErickson
05-17-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't play much 6 max, but I would think I'm behind after the flop action. I can say to let it go......well, OK I might even find the fold button.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to post this in the HUSH forum. Experts there will slap your hand if you move towards the fold button here.

benkath1
05-17-2005, 03:04 AM
gotcha. I guess that's why I don't care for 6 max too much.

yet

Entity
05-17-2005, 03:05 AM
Unless BB is really really passive, I'm just trying to get to a showdown cheaply here. I'd call the flop.

Rob

cmwck
05-17-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer calling a flop bet and raising the turn as the last money I put into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems counterintuitive to me. The only way you're going to fold him out is if you're ahead and he's drawing to a reasonable max of 3 outs. Why not let him keep beating his brains out if he's behind? I'd spend my two bets seeing a showdown and keeping him in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point.

DMB, is your line preferred to the call/call/call line?

If we're ahead of the bettor, won't we win extra bets if we let Button overcall the turn and river (assuming he overcalls the flop, that is. If he folded the flop, it makes sense to use your raise-the-turn line)

bigalt
05-17-2005, 04:06 AM
I don't mind a call/call/call heads up, but having someone behind me starts to worry me. It sucks if you spend all your money only to get it raised behind you on the river, and you're the sucker while they split the pot.

I think a raise is in order somewhere, forcing them both to define their hands. I like it on the turn.

DMBFan23
05-17-2005, 09:08 AM
no I suck. I might raise the turn if button was still in, but if button gets out for one bet on the flop then calling down is way cooler.