PDA

View Full Version : PS $22 hand

Costanza
05-17-2005, 02:35 AM
I'd taken an occasional shot at the $22's before with good results. This is a hand from my first real attempt to move up from the $11's.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t5010)
SB (t590)
Hero (t2370)
UTG (t3460)
MP (t2070)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t590</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...

DasLeben
05-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Fold preflop. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<font color="white">For real though, this is a clear push.</font>

Maulik
05-17-2005, 03:02 AM
i'd dump it here; even if your monkey raisers have junk (which they shouldn't)

you can find better spots

jgunnip
05-17-2005, 03:08 AM
If UTG wasn't in the hand this is a clear call right?

NYCNative
05-17-2005, 03:24 AM
SB is short and could be pushing with anything. He's probably dominated or at worst you're in a coin-toss. If I don't have a good read on UTG, I will probaby push to isolate.

If you're worried about the UTG limp having a monster (and it's a palpable concern; some limp in early position with Kings or Aces and come over the top of a raise) then just smooth-call the all-in.

A smooth-call of an all-in with people behind you can also be seen as a sign of strength, as if you are inviting another caller. That could scare UTG off even if he has a decent hand like Queens or Jacks.

If he goes over the top you can decide if it's worth it. You have enough chips left to play (17BB) even if you decide to fold and you'll get to see what cards he pushed you around with.

Slick is the fifth best hand in Hold 'Em. That doesn't mean you always play it but I think it's a mistake to lay it down here. There's a better-than-average chance UTG wanted to see a flop and have short stack dominated. Either way, you CAN escape a trap from UTG without severely hurting your chance to cash or even win.

beeyjay
05-17-2005, 03:30 AM
need a read on you and utg. and the button for that matter. my assumption is this isnt the first time utg has limped and the button is probably tight/passive in which case I would push to isolate.