PDA

View Full Version : JJ early -- aggressive or wait?

dfscott
05-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Anyone mix it up here early in a 33? Raise to isolate?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2095)
UTG+1 (t720)
UTG+2 (t675)
Hero (t770)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t990)
CO (t155)
Button (t250)
SB (t395)
BB (t1175)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t95</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero ???

Freudian
05-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Fold unless you think you are a much better postflop player and can use your position to get him to fold a better hand from time to time.

jgunnip
05-17-2005, 01:47 AM
I would raise to t175 every once in a while. I'd also fold this sometimes too. Mostly calls tho and reads would be a factor as well.

BradleyT
05-17-2005, 01:48 AM
Jacks don't give me a boner here unless I have notes that they're a donk.

Nick B.
05-17-2005, 01:50 AM
I would push.

TruFloridaGator
05-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Push? Risk it all on level 2? I don't think so, fold, I like the raise though.

lorinda
05-17-2005, 02:23 AM
I find it odd that he chose to raise to 95, almost like he's trying to keep the bet under 100...

Personally I hate jacks. If I can find any excuse to run away (no matter how small... see opening line) then I probably will /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Lori

Fatdogs12
05-17-2005, 02:30 AM
Okay I hate these hands in general... I would prefer a 56 at least then I could draw at a straight or try to hit 2 pair...
First of all it's early in the game and you got no reason to start taking risks like this now... Especially a hand like this. What is going to happen? I mean you are going bet here hand if someone calls have to dodge a lot of things... I would say either bet more or just call. IF you bet more then he probably has overcards or an under pair... So you can hammer him if the flop comes low.

Can't see how else you might logically play this hand.

lastchance
05-17-2005, 02:30 AM
How good are people at the $33's? Where I play, I would raise in an instant, almost without thinking, or at least call and play the position. Is AA, KK, QQ a distinct likelihood, or are you going to see A2, K8, and all sorts of random crap? I prolly call, BTW.

Newt_Buggs
05-17-2005, 02:32 AM
I'de call, but that might just be from playing too many NL ring games. You might as well call this though since you have a strong hand with position. Yeah, you will make mistakes sometimes and get busted, but how else are you going to get better at postflop?

btw, someone mentioned reraising which I am never going to do. I used to do this and all that it seemed to accomplish was scaring away the hands that were worse and trapping me against the hands there were better. It doesn't even give you that much information anyway since some players are going to reraise you all in with 10s and AK (especially AKs) and probably force you to fold

lorinda
05-17-2005, 02:36 AM
I can call this and not complain, despite my wording that I'd run away.

I wouldn't raise, I'm not giving the option back to the guy who might or might not have a hand.

Lori

NYCNative
05-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Call and be careful.

DonCaspero
05-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Call and take it away from him on a safe flop, or if he shows weakness on an A high flop.

Nick B.
05-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Wow, is it given that all 6 people to act after you are going to fold??

NYCNative
05-17-2005, 03:11 AM
I don't know. Apparently it's a given that Jacks always lose according to some people...

jgunnip
05-17-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it odd that he chose to raise to 95, almost like he's trying to keep the bet under 100...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this as well. I'm wondering now what villian had if he showed the hand down.

Freudian
05-17-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this as well. I'm wondering now what villian had if he showed the hand down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was the villain AA-QQ would be a possibility. I know the gospel here is to raise even more with these hands but if I openraise in level 2 it will be 3x no matter what hand I have. Level 1 I raise more than 3x.

beeyjay
05-17-2005, 03:20 AM
I would fold. I mean what kind of flop are you good on? a 10 high one? Its possible but not likely. If theres even 1 overcard on the flop and this guy bets out (into a 200+ pot I would assume that bet to be at least 125 or so) I think you probably have to fold. It seems to me like everybody calling is essentially gambling to hit the set or an overpair on the flop. When you throw in the possibilty of a raise (or a call for that matter) behind you I would just rather not get involved.

DonCaspero
05-17-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold. I mean what kind of flop are you good on? a 10 high one? Its possible but not likely. If theres even 1 overcard on the flop and this guy bets out (into a 200+ pot I would assume that bet to be at least 125 or so) I think you probably have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has great value to play the earlier levels with a wide range of hand (even after a raise) because of this line of thinking. Against passive post flop players seeing monsters every time an overcard falls, it becomes relatively easy to take the pot away on the flop. Or when the opponent is looking to keep the pot small by checking the flop, a lead bet on the turn often does the trick when out of position.

Pick out 3-4 weak players set on survival on the first 3 levels, and you can accumulate chips with any two cards virtually riskfree. Position and post flop skill are key in these levels. And you are giving up value by refusing to play!

Kristian
05-17-2005, 08:59 AM
I call and win some money on a rags flop, lose some money to a power pair and possibly break him with a set.
I think folding this one is losing a good value hand.

albin
05-17-2005, 09:16 AM
I play in the 22s but I call down his raise in you position, I don't really like the idea of a small raise since he might come over the top or even if he calls there is very likely to be an A or K on the flop and the you have a large portion of you stack invested already. And I can't see you getting any other hands than maybe QQ and AKs to fold from the players behind you here anyway. If someone behind you decide to slowplay AA - QQ you are bad shape

I don't really see it as a problem if you get call by one or more players since you can still make trips or top pair. And if someone comes over the top (which is not very likely) you got to see what the first player does before you act. In the end of the day it's not to bad of losing 95 on JJ to a hand that is most likely better than yours. I might have a to passive approach in those situations, any comments are welcome.

Peace and love

Phil Van Sexton
05-17-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone mix it up here early in a 33? Raise to isolate?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2095)
UTG+1 (t720)
UTG+2 (t675)
Hero (t770)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t990)
CO (t155)
Button (t250)
SB (t395)
BB (t1175)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t95</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, I'd call. In this hand, I'm very concerned about the 3 shortstacked donkeys sitting behind you. If you call and they push, I would not be happy.

I suppose its a push/fold for me then. I'm not sure what I'd do. Is this helping?