PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Vick

Mason Malmuth
12-04-2002, 05:45 AM
Since Michael Vick seems to be a main focus of a couple of our forums, I thought I would change the subject and talk about Marcus Vick. For those who don't know, Marcus is Michael's younger brother and is currently sitting out his redshirt year at Va Tech, and, yes, he is a quarterback.

Now what's interesting about all of this is that the Hokies have a pretty good quarteback. His name is Bryan Randal and he's just a sophmore and was also a Parade All American in High School. Word around Hokie Nation is that if Randal keeps improving, by the time that he graduates he would have a chance to play in the NFL. Of course, this assumes that Marcus doesn't beat him out.

Also, the Va Tech coaches have been very quiet as to how good Marcus Vick is. After all, he's not playing and they don't want to upset their starting quarterback. But word is starting to get out. A recent quote from one of the coaches is something about an acorn not falling far from the tree.

So it appears that there may be another Vick superstar on the horizon. This one is right handed, like his brother, but he also throws right handed, unlike his brother. Wouldn't it be great to see the two Vick brothers playing against each oter in the same NFL game? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Best wishes,
Mason

marbles
12-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Another "all in the family" combination is Marcus Randle El, a Chicago high schooler that is said to be better than big brothers Antwaan and Curtis were at his age.

Unfortunately, the younger siblings rarely seem to live up to the hype, but I sure hope they do in these cases!

broomcorn
12-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Mason,
I don't think there is a hokie fan around that doesn't want vick starting next year. randall had his chance this year and although he filled in nicely at times, he lost 3 straight and still has a problem with fumbling the ball. opposing defense know that randall is not a complete passer and it makes an already one-dimensional offense easier to defend.
I would be very surprised if marcus is not the starter at the beginning of next year.
I read the acorn quote and saw another one a few months back...beamer said something like when you watch marcus practice, he looks so much like his brother you just have to smile....
should be fun to see what happens!!!

Mash
12-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Just remember Marcus hasn't proved anything yet, potential is nice but lets see him complete a pass for a first down before everyone gets excited.

I remember years ago in the Dodgers organization a young kid by the name of Chris Gwynn was supposed to be even better than his older, already established in the bigs, brother Tony. Chris broke all of Tony records at SDSU, but was held to a meaningless pinch hitters role as a pro.

On the other hand, also in the Dodgers organization, a young pitcher by the name of Ramon Martinez who had a great fastball, struck everybody out and was well on his way to a hall of fame career. Now his younger bro Pedro was much smaller with just as good of stuff. Dodgers (Dodgers were idiots for this) thought young Pedro would not be durable, wouldn't last past the 5th inning as a starter, or wouldn't last past July in the season because he would break down. 5 or 6 Cy Young awards later with different teams and the rest is history. Ramon by the way had a shortened career due to injury.

My point is, lets see the kid play before we pass judgement...I don't care where the acorn lands.