PDA

View Full Version : Prevelance of Collusion on PP

StacysMom
05-17-2005, 12:42 AM
There have been alot of factors that are making me question to what degree collusion occurs. The first comes from the DERB thread in high stakes about a guy with crzy stats destryoing the 30/60. In there, there are links to articles about how to go about cheating. After I thought about it, the passive collusion and best hand plays seeem to be virtually undetectable and very profitable. I play 15/30 and often feel that I should be getting paid off more, althought have no real evidence. (fyi, im a winning player at this limit,so not just rambling about why i always lose)
Both these just raise my suspicion level.

The biggest issue is that my roomate (regular poster here) also plays 15/30. Our rooms are adjacent, we can even talk through the wall to eachother. When we are both multitablin we will often end up on a table or two together. As we are both honest ppl, we never have or intend on colluding together. However, I know there are many ppl who are less scrupulous and would try to cheat.

If we are allowed to sit at tables together playing from adjacent rooms in the same appartment with no intention of doing so, how then I am supposed to assume that ppl who would like to cheat and are motivated to do so in the afformentioned methods, arent doing so. From my case, Im sure they can be in the same room sitting next to eachother.

If someone would ease my mind I would apprecitate it.

sfwusc
05-17-2005, 01:05 AM
You have different IP address for sure. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have gotten into trouble multitable and trying to sit myself at the same table by mistake. When you are opening tables and get yourself on a waitlist at Empire and Party...then sit...then try to sit the other one---he wont let you.

Which is a good thing /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I am sure it happens. How much EV does it add? Seems like card counting on BJ. It would help, but how much. When they get caught....they are going to lose everything.

-SFWUSC

2ndGoat
05-17-2005, 02:17 AM
passive collusion is indeed going to be really tough to detect if they do it well. However, party does have ways to catch people that aren't smart about it, people who would never be caught live. If one guy folded KK preflop when another player had AA, party could pick that up.

We don't know how well they implement these sorts of checks, but most sites do have SOMETHING in place, at least.

2nd

GoblinMason (Craig)
05-17-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The biggest issue is that my roomate (regular poster here) also plays 15/30. Our rooms are adjacent, we can even talk through the wall to eachother. When we are both multitablin we will often end up on a table or two together.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I have the advantage in that I can get up and see his monitors without him noticing; he has to come in my room to see mine. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Craig

Kevin K.
05-17-2005, 03:32 AM
I went to see who was playing in the $1000 steps a couple days ago after I finished a session. There were "two guys" from the same city sitting at one of the tables. "One of the guys" was also playing on another $1000 step table at the same time. There were several players at the first table that were keeping an eye on the action at the other table.

Well, when the guy who was sitting at both tables busted out at the second table, a few of the players at the first table started busting his balls a little. The guy who busted out didn't say a word. Then the "other guy" from the same city says something like, "Why do you have to be such a dick to me? What did I do to you?"

The chatbox goes silent for a minute. Then a couple people start asking questions. "Who are you talking to? Why are you saying 'me' and 'I'? Oops. You typed that under the wrong screenname, didn't you? Nobody's said a word to you for five minutes. Are you two the same person? Are you trying to steal?"

The ID that busted out never said a word the rest of the SNG. The "other guy" just said something like "Of course not." and kept silent the rest of the way. They took 2nd and 3rd place.

I got the feeling that there were several people at the table who were going to notify Party, but I sent an email to them just in case. I haven't heard back from them.

Freudian
05-17-2005, 03:43 AM
I often see people from the same country at my tables. Sometimes even up to 9 from the US.

grinin
05-17-2005, 03:51 AM
Normally I would never say this (because someone could do this and simply have a gripe with two guys they want to screw with (which I do not believe is the case here), but

I think you should post the screennames of this guy, so that anyone else here can check their hand histories and see if they have any with them together.

05-17-2005, 04:15 AM
I am pretty sure that there are a few isolated cases of collusion on Party Poker. I have been in a few wierd hands where people seem to fold for no reason in a huge pot with no bet to them. If you get in a hand like this just email it to Party. Let them deal with it. Also, telling the whole table that you think the two people are cheating is a VERY effective way of shutting them down. One last thing, me and my roomate have sat down at the same .5/1 table just to see if we could before. Party let us, which was surprising as our IP numbers are almost identical (one number difference). Our computers are about 8 feet from each other. So, to answer your question, yes, there is collusion on Party, but not much. If you detect it then report it. Party will deal with them.

grinin
05-17-2005, 04:16 AM
The other thing that is important here is Party's response. Although if I remember correctly it is usually something along the lines of:

Thank you for notifying us of a perceived irregularity during game #xxxxx. We would like to assure you that we use sophisticated methods to detect collusion at PP. Although we can not comment on an ongoing investigation, we can tell you that if it is determined that an individual or group is caught cheating they will be banned from our site. Additionally, any funds in the accounts are subject to confiscation.

You will be happy to know that such funds are later returned to the players in the form of freerolls, etc.

Of course I am not happy, because the players who were screwed actually get nothing and PP gets the advertising value of freerolls, etc.

grinin
05-17-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been in a few wierd hands where people seem to fold for no reason in a huge pot with no bet to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not uncommon for someone on a draw that misses at the river and does not want the other players to see his cards. You should have a lot more evidence than this to accuse someone of collusion. However, I guess it won't hurt, as long as the nincompoops at Party know what they are doing when they research these claims.

r2b2
05-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Do the detection methods also apply to PP Skins?

grjr
05-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I caught 2 fools colluding on Party .50/1 limit of all things last week. They were sitting on opposite sides of the table and just kept betting and raising when someone else was in the hand. The other people kept folding like idiots.

I started commenting about it and about 5 minites later one of the guys leaves. 10 minutes later the other guy leaves. I check them on my buddy list and I'll be damned if they weren't at the same table again. lol

I wrote to Empire (I was playing Empire at the time) and told them about it and got a reply that they would check into it and get back to me. Haven't heard anything since though. Haven't seen the 2 fools online again either.

GrannyMae
05-17-2005, 02:36 PM

wish i could.

there is a substantial population that would bust a hole in the wall at your place to make it easier if it were them.

cheats are cheats, and they are in the very games you play. switch to MTT's, a B&M or give it up if you want true comfort.

bugstud
05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wish i could.

there is a substantial population that would bust a hole in the wall at your place to make it easier if it were them.

cheats are cheats, and they are in the very games you play. switch to MTT's, a B&M or give it up if you want true comfort.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are entirely too many people playing multiples accounts in some MTTs.

GrannyMae
05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wish i could.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh

RamGad
05-17-2005, 03:09 PM
I was at a 5-10 6max table at Empire and noticed something fishy. There was a long time regular at the table who had a very specific catch phrase he would say. He was completely silent for about half an hour. I thought this was weird. When out of nowhere, another person at the table yells out the other guy's catch phrase!

I checked the home towns of the people I suspected. They were both small towns I had never heard of. Had trouble finding the towns with the simple "city of x" on google, so I searched harder and it turns out they are two neighborhoods in the same city! I posted this on the HUSH forum and got berated hard like I figured I would. People basically called me a paranoid moron. I contacted Party and they didn't do anything of course. Kind of frustrating to get berated and ignored so I haven't done anything else about it. Two exact pharses spoken by people from the same city who were pulling suspect plays seems like it's beyond reasonable doubt to me. Oh well. What else can you do?

ZBTHorton
05-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Um. Couldn't he have been mocking him?

GrannyMae
05-17-2005, 04:37 PM
I contacted Party and they didn't do anything of course.

did you sent to alerts@partypoker.com ?

i sent an email to them about something i thought was suspect in a recent step 4. it also involved 2 players from same city.

8 hours later i had the most detailed response i have ever seen. this response rivaled some of the 2 pagers that stars gives.

it covered my concerns, raised issues of their concerns and assured me on every front.

it seems that within the last month, party has gotten their shiit together on things like this. but it *has* to be sent to alerts@partypoker.com and you have to explain your concern.

MaxPower
05-17-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wish i could.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So is it possible for a person playing on two accounts from the same computer or the same IP address to sit at the same table in a MTT?