PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Classic Rock Song - Round 2

slickpoppa
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Round 2

(Yes I know Purple Haze is in it twice)

Phoenix1010
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Wish You Were Here vs. Bohemian Rhapsody is a clash of the titans. Very tough decision.

tbach24
05-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Like a Rolling Stone vs. Sympathy for the Devil is the toughest decision. I had to go with the latter though.

JoshuaD
05-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Bump.

samjjones
05-17-2005, 08:43 AM
I missed Round 1. Why so many Floyd songs?

bump
05-17-2005, 10:09 AM
*bizzump*

car ramrod
05-17-2005, 10:13 AM
agreed. Tough, I went with Like a Rolling Stone.

Always Rockets
05-17-2005, 10:28 AM
sympathy is one of my favorite songs of all time-
the stones are like 5000 years old and they still put on a killer show

Fishwhenican
05-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Interesting mix of tunes.
Comfortably Numb, though, is THE best of the bunch.
If you have not heard the live version on their "Pulse" CD it is just KILLER!

miajag81
05-17-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting mix of tunes.
Comfortably Numb, though, is THE best of the bunch.
If you have not heard the live version on their "Pulse" CD it is just KILLER!

[/ QUOTE ]

The versions on Delicate Sound of Thunder and The Wall Live are both superior to the Pulse version.

UOPokerPlayer
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
AC/DC beating The Who would be blasphemous.

slickpoppa
05-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Bump, there are a couple of close matchups

Shajen
05-18-2005, 08:37 AM
It will be a travesty if Wish you were here loses to Bohemian Rhapsody .

Seriously.

Wish you were here is 10 times the song BR is.

(Bump)

bump
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
*bizzzzzzzummmmmmppppppp*

bump
05-18-2005, 12:18 PM
This poll is invalid because Baba O'Riley is losing to Dream On. I suspect that this is because the highschoolers on this board have downloaded Baba O'Riley and it was mislabled on their computers and it is labled Teenage Wasteland. Goddamn highschoolers...

[ QUOTE ]

Out here in the fields
I fight for my meals
I get my back into my living
I don't need to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven

Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only teenage wasteland

Sally, take my hand
Travel south cross land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together
Before we get much older

Teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
Oh, yeah
Teenage wasteland
They're all wasted!

[/ QUOTE ]

asofel
05-18-2005, 12:26 PM
i can't stop looking at your avatar...

miajag81
05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This poll is invalid because Baba O'Riley is losing to Dream On. I suspect that this is because the highschoolers on this board have downloaded Baba O'Riley and it was mislabled on their computers and it is labled Teenage Wasteland. Goddamn highschoolers...

[/ QUOTE ]

This choice was the toughest for me. Two great, great songs. I went with Baba O'Riley though.

slickpoppa
05-18-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Out here in the fields
I fight for my meals
I get my back into my living
I don't need to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven

Don't cry
Don't raise your eye

Sally, take my hand
Travel south cross land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together
Before we get much older

Teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
Oh, yeah
Teenage wasteland
They're all wasted!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if half the people who voted for Dream On didn't know what song Baba O'Riley was

bump
05-18-2005, 04:30 PM
bump
u<font color="white">....</font>m
m<font color="white">...</font>u
pmub

Sponger15SB
05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
This is the worst "best of" competition ever.

I refuse to vote for anything because you are missing SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many good songs from so many good bands I want to [censored] puke.

arod4276
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Sponge,, give us a few of your favs? secondly if baba and wish u were here lose the results should be null and void..arod4276

CallMeIshmael
05-18-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if baba and wish u were here lose the results should be null and void

[/ QUOTE ]

For me wish you were here is an easy vote, as it might be my favourite song of all time.

BUT... there is no way you can say that WYWH is so much greater than BR that it is poll voiding.

I would contend that if a large group of music critics got together, they would conclude that BR &gt; WYWH.

Mano
05-18-2005, 06:08 PM
I agree that WYWH and BR is a tough call, and a matter of personal preference. However, Baba O'Reiley trailing Dream On is mindboggling.

CallMeIshmael
05-18-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baba O'Reiley trailing Dream On is mindboggling.

[/ QUOTE ]

bholdr
05-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Nice attempt, but i think your little contest falls short...

A: missing some of the most influential/popular songs and artists in rock and roll- no allman brothers (jessica) no grateful dead (truckin) no van morrison (gloria) noelton john (rocket man) no bowie, no CSNY, no roy orbison, no johnny cash, no zappa, etc... i missed the first reound, so sry if they were there and lost.

B: stairway to heaven is the most overrated sone ever. it is crap. crap. no, really, i think it's trite, contrived, sappy trash. heartbreaker, kashmir, over the hills and far away, immigrant song, when the levee breaks, dazed and confused, etc, were all far superior, IMO.

C: Kashmir is losing to american pie. as of right now, there are 51 MORANS on this forum.

anyway, good idea, but a little too complex of a subject, IMO.

and how the hell am i suposed to decide between 'comfortably numb' and 'bohemian raphsody'?

and if i had to pick a 'greatest rock song of all time' it's 'stone free' new years 1969 version, from the fillmore east recording.

slickpoppa
05-18-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice attempt, but i think your little contest falls short...

A: missing some of the most influential/popular songs and artists in rock and roll- no allman brothers (jessica) no grateful dead (truckin) no van morrison (gloria) noelton john (rocket man) no bowie, no CSNY, no roy orbison, no johnny cash, no zappa, etc... i missed the first reound, so sry if they were there and lost.

B: stairway to heaven is the most overrated sone ever. it is crap. crap. no, really, i think it's trite, contrived, sappy trash. heartbreaker, kashmir, over the hills and far away, immigrant song, when the levee breaks, dazed and confused, etc, were all far superior, IMO.

C: Kashmir is losing to american pie. as of right now, there are 51 MORANS on this forum.

anyway, good idea, but a little too complex of a subject, IMO.

and how the hell am i suposed to decide between 'comfortably numb' and 'bohemian raphsody'?

and if i had to pick a 'greatest rock song of all time' it's 'stone free' new years 1969 version, from the fillmore east recording.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, Jessica was in the contest, but was knocked out by Stairway in the first round. There were also some Elton John songs that got knocked out in the first round. As for the other artists you mention, they have merit, but which of the 64 songs should not have been on the original list? There are a couple of weak ones IMO, but not many. There are so many good songs out there that it is really hard to come up with a list that doesn't leave some people unhappy. Anyway, I decided to use the list from Q1043 (NYC's classic rock station) as the starting point because there is no other non-arbitrary or manageable way I could think of.

Also, to say that Stairway is crap is just ridiculous. The only reason you are saying that is because so many people say that it is the best classic rock song ever that it has become overrated. But just because it is slightly overrated does not mean it is crap.

Finally, I agree that the results of some of the matchups are travesties, but don't blame me, blame OOT.

arod4276
05-18-2005, 09:26 PM
vote dammit

bump
05-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Homer with The Who (minus Moon of course)

http://www.msnbc.com/news/741223.jpg