PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith...

Mike Gallo
05-16-2005, 11:00 PM
....did anyone know that the original name of "Return of the Jedi" was "Revenge of the Jedi".

The name did not make the final cut because "they" felt it would kill the entire Ewok good feel ending that the movie had. They changed it to Return of the Jedi.

Moving forward 22 years, I can understand why "they" renamed the movie to Return of the Jedi. I hope the movie Revenge of the Sith, earns its name and has a good plot and ties all of the loose pieces together.

Hard to believe, that I saw the movie Star Wars in the movie theater as a boy. As a man I look forward to seeing Revenge of the Sith with the same enthusiasm as I had as a 14 year old who wanted to see The Empire Strikes Back.

..anyone else care to discuss their thoughts/feelings?

05-16-2005, 11:05 PM
If I wasn't so uncertain about my travel plans for Vegas I'd be going to see this opening night. I don't care what critics say, I'm excited about seeing this movie.

Gavin

whiskeytown
05-16-2005, 11:13 PM
when I was a boy, I asked my mom to take me to see Star Wars - she took me to see "A Star is Born" - (apparenly my pronounciation wasn't that good at age 5) -

I finally saw it in '79 - read the comics - cried when i couldn't see the May 25th, 1983 premiere of Return of the Jedi the first day.

(It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge")

showed up for midnight premieres for the first and second one (had an inside acquaintence who was a big prop builder) - and wore a borrowed costume as a death star gunner for the 2nd one -

Bought the Clone Wars DVD and watched the last 5 episodes online

AND I notice stuff like Lucas changing the special edition again so that the Emperor tells Vader that Luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker -

suffice it to say I kick ass at Star Wars trivial pursuit

to say that I'm excited about seeing this movie is an understatement - however, I've read so many spoilers, at this point I'll make it till after the weekend rush.

RB

kerssens
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AND I notice stuff like Lucas changing the special edition again so that the Emperor tells Vader that Luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker -

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh...wouldn't Vader just put two and two together realizing that Luke's last name is Skywalker?

Dynasty
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge"

[/ QUOTE ]

That and it was also used as a technique to fight counterfeit merchandise. Early unauthorized merchandise had the "Revenge" title. When the "Return" name change was made, those products were caught red-handed.

There were some authorized "Revenge" products too.

Rearden
05-16-2005, 11:44 PM
USA Today's review.. a 3.5 of four and comments about how Lucas "finally hit his mark" with the new releases has me in uber nerd mode.... I have tickets with friends for noon on Thursday... I hope I can hold out

TStoneMBD
05-17-2005, 12:02 AM
i actually saw george lucas talk about this first hand on video. its on the extended video on disc 2 of episode II.

he says the reason why he didn't name it revenge of the jedi is because jedi's do not seek revenge. its not in the demeanor.

Popinjay
05-17-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh...wouldn't Vader just put two and two together realizing that Luke's last name is Skywalker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh Vader already knows... all masters of the force know

samjjones
05-17-2005, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when I was a boy, I asked my mom to take me to see Star Wars - she took me to see "A Star is Born" - (apparenly my pronounciation wasn't that good at age 5) -

I finally saw it in '79 - read the comics - cried when i couldn't see the May 25th, 1983 premiere of Return of the Jedi the first day.

(It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge")

showed up for midnight premieres for the first and second one (had an inside acquaintence who was a big prop builder) - and wore a borrowed costume as a death star gunner for the 2nd one -

Bought the Clone Wars DVD and watched the last 5 episodes online

suffice it to say I kick ass at Star Wars trivial pursuit

to say that I'm excited about seeing this movie is an understatement - however, I've read so many spoilers, at this point I'll make it till after the weekend rush.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

A heads-up Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game might be in order.

stigmata
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge"

[/ QUOTE ]

That and it was also used as a technique to fight counterfeit merchandise. Early unauthorized merchandise had the "Revenge" title. When the "Return" name change was made, those products were caught red-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a "Revenge of the Jedi" sow-on-badge (80's stylee /images/graemlins/smirk.gif). No idea whether it was legit, or what happened to it..... shame.

Dynasty
05-17-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a well known and valuable movie poster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/swpostera01.jpg

jedi
05-17-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A heads-up Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game might be in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

"General, Count me in."

I've won the game without missing a question. Probably 2 or 3 times out of 5 or 6 playing the game. I've now got the new Saga edition which includes Episode III footage, so I'm trying to avoid it until I see the movie.

JoeU
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
I don't know about heads up, but, if there was a way to set up an on-line tourney, I'd be sooooo in!

2 guys I work with have already seen the film. They said it makes up for all the suckiness that was I and II. Their wives work for LEGO, and since LEGO has a bunch of "official authorized products", their employees got a private screening of the movie.

I bought my tickets on-line for Friday, 7:30pm. I can't wait!

Joe

GamblersClickcom
05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
They Said this is the best star wars movie, out of the new series. I'm excited for the opening. One day before my Birthday.

CCass
05-17-2005, 11:28 PM
I would count myself as a SW nerd. I was 10 when SWANH came out, I was dazzled by the SF/Action/mystical mix that this movie brought to the screen. By 1980, I was 13. The closest theatre showing ESB on opening day was in Nashville (80 miles away). We load up with my older cousin driving, it starts raining on us, his wipers go out and we turn around. Get to our grandmothers house, she lets us use her car, and off to Nashville to try again. We finally got in after 4 hours in line, and it was worth it. '83 role around, I am now old enough to drive, we see it on opening night, the follwing Sat., and at least 1 more time.

For PM, I am married at this point to a wife who is just as SW crazy as me. We hire a Babysitter and see the premier. Go to see it once more in the theatres. Smae for SWAoTC, saw it twice in the theatre, once with just the wie, once where we brought the kids.

For RotS, we will see it by ourselves, and then determine whether it is appropriate for the kids or not. I set the over/under of my viewings at 3.

Raydain
05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
This honestly looks like its going to be the best movie of all time.

Mangatang
05-18-2005, 04:01 AM
I first saw Star Wars when I was a kid, at a drive-in theater. I brought my R2D2 and C3PO action figures to the movie.

My son's middle name is Darth (honestly).

I am taking my son out of school this Thursday to see the 10:00 AM showing. I can't wait for this one (even though I was highly disappointed with I and II).