PDA

View Full Version : Wassabi Stunt - Is It Possible?

theBruiser500
05-16-2005, 10:11 PM
About 50-70% bigger than the size of a golf ball, chunk of wassabi. You have to hold it in your mouth for a minute, and then eat it (no taking it out of the mouth). Is it possible? How much money to do this? Me and a friend put up $150 each for someone to do this, I was almost sure we were freerolling and there was no way it could be done. Interesting results, will be posted later.

Trump
05-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Do you get water to wash it down?

Oski
05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
I'd say its pretty damn hard to do.

My best point of reference is that one time a sushi chef (my wife and I know him well) gave me a piece of cut roll. He tricked me and it was completely filled with wasabi.

I guess with the rice covering, that would be a little smaller than what you are talking about ... plus its not all wasabi.

Anyway, I ate it, but it really burned my mouth and I had some tears from it.

Interested to find out what happened with your bet.

theBruiser500
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
not until after wasabi is all eaten

Popinjay
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
I'd say it's possible. Like 10 years ago (little kid status) I opened the refrigerator to find some guacamole. I love guacamole so I took a big piece of it and ate it. Much to my dismay it turned out to be wasabi /images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway the point is I survived and I was a little kid. Should be definitely doable for any adult.

M2d
05-16-2005, 10:19 PM
there's a trick to it, and it's actually pretty easy if your mouth's big enough.

Duke
05-16-2005, 10:20 PM
We got a guy to try the same thing, but the total amount of money was $2000 if he did it.

He threw up within 3 minutes, and that voided it (no vomiting).

~D

theBruiser500
um, care to share with the rest of us?

Lawrence Ng
[ QUOTE ]
I was almost sure we were freerolling and there was no way it could be done

[/ QUOTE ]

He would throw it back up. So yes, you are free-rolling and he took a real dumb bet.

Lawrence

bump
05-16-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was almost sure we were freerolling and there was no way it could be done

[/ QUOTE ]

He would throw it back up. So yes, you are free-rolling and he took a real dumb bet.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he (wasabi eater) was freerolling if I read the post correctly. I say it can be done (was there a vomit stipulation?)

M2d
05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
I should make you guys buy me dinner or something. It's my surefire prop bet.
anyway, the taste buds that process the flavor of wasabi is on the front part of your mouth and tongue. just slip the wasabi ball to the back part of your mouth and let it melt a little to get to manageable size before you swollow the rest of it. it may burn a small bit if you get it near the wrong taste buds and you may have a little heart burn, but it's really nothing.

if you want to win the bet, eliminate the hold it in your mouth part and make him chew.

ethan
05-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I could do this. The minute would be somewhat unpleasant, but not so much that I'd give up.

Klepton
05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
one of those real world / road rules challenges had people eating 3 ping pong ball sized pieces of wasabi.

2 teams of 2 - 3 balls each person

both people did it relatively fast

JackWilson
05-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Should have made him eat a habanero. Slowly. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-16-2005, 10:41 PM
This is all wrong. If you push it to the back of your mouth, the reason you wouldn't be able to taste something is because there are no taste buds way back there.

The idea that certain areas of your tongue taste different "tastes" is preposterous and based on a bad translation of (I believe it was) a German researcher's study that found that people localized certain tastes on parts of the tongue (but they could be tasted anywhere there were taste buds).

Also, I don't eat sushi/wasabi, but assuming it works on the same principles as any hot food, the taste isn't what you have to worry about. "Hotness" is actually a sensation of touch not a sensation of taste. It's why hot foods can irritate other parts of your body, it just happens your mouth is extremely apt to be irritated because of its composition.

This is me trying to make myself feel like that 1 semester course on the psychology of food was worth something.

Blarg
05-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Not barfing shouldn't be part of the rules, because barfing is involuntary and not barfing doesn't really test or prove anything.

It's the eating and swallowing it that's the studly/insane part, not what happens or doesn't happen after.

La Brujita
05-16-2005, 10:49 PM
I couldn't do it but I am pretty sure it could be done.

xadrez
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
A friend of mine did this at a Japanese restaurant and was forever respected by the sushi chefs for the rest of his visits there...

Alobar
05-16-2005, 11:18 PM
wassabi??

lol, you east coast people crack me up.

Get something thats actually hot, then ponder weather or not it can be done.

daryn
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
so wasabi is not hot in the least?

Alobar
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah, its hot. But its not so hot that something like that couldnt be done.

daryn
05-16-2005, 11:38 PM
a lot of it is very overpowering. it's not even really about the "hotness" but that stuff attacks your whole sinus.

Alobar
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a lot of it is very overpowering. it's not even really about the "hotness" but that stuff attacks your whole sinus.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but the same tolerance that lets you handle spicy food, lets you handle that. Thats my theory at least. I havent eaten alot of Wassabi, but the times I have it didnt effect me much. I figure its just cuz I'm used to really hot chillies and stuff.

CardSharpCook
05-16-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is all wrong. If you push it to the back of your mouth, the reason you wouldn't be able to taste something is because there are no taste buds way back there.

The idea that certain areas of your tongue taste different "tastes" is preposterous and based on a bad translation of (I believe it was) a German researcher's study that found that people localized certain tastes on parts of the tongue (but they could be tasted anywhere there were taste buds).

Also, I don't eat sushi/wasabi, but assuming it works on the same principles as any hot food, the taste isn't what you have to worry about. "Hotness" is actually a sensation of touch not a sensation of taste. It's why hot foods can irritate other parts of your body, it just happens your mouth is extremely apt to be irritated because of its composition.

This is me trying to make myself feel like that 1 semester course on the psychology of food was worth something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is correct. Just want to clarify something though. Sweet, sour, bitter, and salty ARE tastes that are located in certain areas on your tongue. But he is right about the "heat" theory.

CSC (the second "C" stands for "Cook")

M2d
05-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Dude, I wasn't trying to break down the biological functions of the sense of taste. I was just explaining why the bet was easily winnable for the eater.

for whatever reason, put the glob of green stuff on the back of your tongue. it won't get into your sinuses that way.

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-17-2005, 12:13 AM
No, they aren't. Finding link and excerpt..

[ QUOTE ]
Electrophysical studies, whereby electrical activity of taste receptors is measured in the presence of taste stimuli, also support these interpretations (Referring to inaccuracy of tongue map). They show that the vast majority of taste receptors fire electrical signals, and hence elicit a taste sensation, in the presence of all the basic tastes. So much for receptor specificity, the cornerstone concept underlying the taste map.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken from ... this website. (http://www.aromadictionary.com/articles/tonguemap_article.html)

Also, the fact that the taste umami (5th "basic" taste, think MSG) isn't located on any tongue maps I've ever seen also makes it hard to believe.

Blarg
05-17-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends how it's made. For you white boys, it's usually made real weak, mixed with a lot of water.

It does kill your sinuses. Kinda like horseradish. Hot peppers don't really do that in quite the same way.

theBruiser500
05-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Results: he did it surprisingly easy and didn't throw up. Whenever I have a little too much wassabi on my sushi I feel it in my nose and feel like throwing up, I have no idea how he did it.

Blarg
05-17-2005, 12:26 AM
A semester on the psychology of food?

Never heard of something like that! Sounds kind of cool though.

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Yeah, it actually wasn't bad. I had the professor before for Bio. Psych and no other psych classes interested me that semester so I just stuck with this dude.

Later in the course there was a slant on eating disorders (obviously), but it's actually an interesting course if you ever manage to actually find a university that offers it. You also should hopefully get to try to some different types of foods as a result of the professor's pro-activity (or something).

Anyway, yeah.

Prevaricator
05-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey, Danny. I thought that was a $150 well spent though. Watching him struggle through the one minute really made my day.

BusterStacks
05-17-2005, 02:09 AM
For 300 no, but for 2000 I could literally force myself to do this. If there are any takers, I will videotape the entire thing and there would be plenty of unpleasantness to view. Also if I throw up, I'll just do it again until I succeed.

daryn
05-17-2005, 02:09 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Hey, Danny. I thought that was a $150 well spent though. Watching him struggle through the one minute really made my day.

[/ QUOTE ]

who was it, dubs? dave might be up for something like that too, and i know FatMongo is.

drexah
05-17-2005, 08:24 AM
well, the question is, will he puke it all up or not? i think theres is a HUGE chance someone would do this for the right amount of money.

M2d
05-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I already told you how he did it.

DMBFan23
05-17-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends how it's made. For you white boys, it's usually made real weak, mixed with a lot of water.

It does kill your sinuses. Kinda like horseradish. Hot peppers don't really do that in quite the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isnt surprising since most wasabi is made from horseradish isnt it? I thought real actual wasabi was hard to come by

M.B.E.
05-22-2005, 12:34 AM
"In the last twenty years, because of low supply of fresh Wasabi rhizomes, substitutes made of mixtures of horseradish, mustard and food coloring have taken the place of freshly prepared Wasabi."

http://www.freshwasabi.com/about.htm

Prevaricator
05-22-2005, 01:52 AM
no daryn, you dont know him. If Dave was willing to do something involving snorting some sort of gourmet hot sauce, and some sort of bet format, danny and/or I might be interested.

trying2learn
05-22-2005, 02:08 AM
i still have trouble watching steve-o snort wasabi in the middle of the jackass movie...what a moran.

SCfuji
05-22-2005, 02:12 AM
this is retarded. id like to see the idiot who permanently damages their sinuses and intestines for $300.