PDA

View Full Version : Internship has me thinking....

jack spade23
05-16-2005, 09:28 PM
....that i want to do something in advertising (as in creating ads, not selling airtime or something). As a few may know, I am attending Loyola Marymount next year. There are many opportunities out there in the entertainment/t.v. industries. I was planning on majoring in accounting or finance or something like that, however, the general manager of the t.v. station i am interning at said he majored in radio/t.v. and uses that as well as a business admin. minor in his job.

Is anyone in this forum involved in advertising? Like most shmucks, I think my ideas for ads are fukcing awesome, but I'm positive there is more to them than having cool ideas. What should I major in? Im also planning on taking classes at their school of film and television. Thanks in advance.

Dynasty
05-16-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What should I major in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Marketing seems like the obviious major.

jack spade23
05-16-2005, 09:33 PM
yea thats what i thought, but it didn't sound like anyone there majored in marketing. thats what got me wondering if there was something different I should do.

Dynasty
05-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Communications is something you could look into.

DangerGoodson
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
It's called Strategic Communications at the University of Wisconsin, where I'm at. It's in the journalism school, because they say that good writers equal good advertisers.

James Boston
05-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Having a degree in Communications, I have to respectfully disagree. I minored in Marketing and that will be much more suitable to the OP's needs.

To the OP...

I'm not clear on what you specifically want to do so I'll just throw out a few thoughts. I sell advertising BTW. On the creative end, you don't really get a job as being the guy who just comes up with "cool ideas." Creatives tend to stick to specific mediums. (Take that with a grain of salt because my experience there is very limited) I'm also not aware of undergrad programs for doing the creative stuff. Your best bet would be to decide which medium you want to work in and major in that. I.E. You want to do print ads, major in graphic design. You want to do TV ads, major in Communication I guess...although I still think it's a pretty useless degree. I still think Marketing is your best bet. There are good schools that aren't exactly grad schools, but are highly respected in the industry that you could attend after college, like The Circus in Atlanta. Just a few ideas.

bump
05-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Nobody respects a communications major.

The next time you are watching a big time college football game notice how many players are communications majors...

James Boston
05-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Respect wasn't exactly my goal. Getting ANY college degree with the minimal amount of effort was. Having 2+ years experience in radio before declaring a major, it was the obvious choice.

bump
05-17-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Respect wasn't exactly my goal. Getting ANY college degree with the minimal amount of effort was. Having 2+ years experience in radio before declaring a major, it was the obvious choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean that as a knock on you. I just wanted to make the OP aware of the stigma that goes with being a comm major. That said, most communications classes are easy As...

TStoneMBD
05-17-2005, 01:10 AM
i dont know too much about the whole college thing, but i dont think a communications/marketing major is the way to go. those arent held in very high accord.

Popinjay
05-17-2005, 01:11 AM
This is kind of funny..

I too am going to LMU and want to do advertising. I have a plan though.. but it'd be nice for some critiques. Here's how I have it:

double-major in film/philosophy, make a lot of $ in poker, graduate and start own ad agency after having internships, make even more $, make influential movies, win WSOP 2024, retire as richest man in the world, enjoy it for a year, donate everything to charity with philanthropic work, die, get canonized.

Thoughts? Comments on just the first three are fine

bump
05-17-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know too much about the whole college thing, but i dont think a communications/marketing major is the way to go. those arent held in very high accord.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marketing majors get respect and will get your resume a look in many industries.

Comm - not so much

bennyk
05-17-2005, 01:23 AM
i cannot stop laughing at your avatar.

bk

NLSoldier
05-17-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of funny..

I too am going to LMU and want to do advertising. I have a plan though.. but it'd be nice for some critiques. Here's how I have it:

double-major in film/philosophy, make a lot of $ in poker, graduate and start own ad agency after having internships, make even more $, make influential movies, win WSOP 2024, retire as richest man in the world, enjoy it for a year, donate everything to charity with philanthropic work, die, get canonized.

Thoughts? Comments on just the first three are fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you chose LMU, I'm sure youll have a blast.

TStoneMBD
05-17-2005, 02:02 AM
youre located in not new haven? what does that mean? i am actually located IN new haven. i just moved here last week. my apartment rocks. =DD

augie00
05-17-2005, 02:41 AM
All of these posters are right. You will never get a job in advertising, even with a specific degree in advertising. The only way to get a job in this world is to get a degree in engineering or actuarial science and then apply for your advertising job with your flashy degree in math.

Don't listen to these fools. If you want to get a job in marketing, major in marketing.

jack spade23
05-18-2005, 08:34 PM
popinjay, are you going to the school or film/television? This is weird that we have so much in common. I gotta meet you when you get there.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
popinjay, are you going to the school or film/television? This is weird that we have so much in common. I gotta meet you when you get there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, young love.

jack spade23
05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Springtime, when my thoughts of fancy turns to thoughts of other young men..Ahhhhhhhhh /images/graemlins/grin.gif