PDA

View Full Version : Finally Roy, finally!

Ryan_21
12-03-2002, 11:19 PM
I've been a long time Roy Jones Jr. fan for a long time. Since 94'. And although I beleive he is the most talented fighter that ever lived, its been frustrating for me and every other boxing fan or expert that he hasnt ever proved it and that he continually fights lesser caliber opponents.

But, I was please today when I read on fightnews.com that the Jones/Ruiz fight contract has finally been finalized. Finally we will see the defining moment in Roy's career.

Also, I think it should be pointed out that Roy took a lot of heat (undeserving IMO) for taking so long to finalize the contract. A lot of people/experts thought the fight would never take place. But like Roy has said before, "Roy aint no sucker"

If you dont know what was going on behind the scenes, here's the scoop. First let me say that Don King is a prick. The reason Roy wouldnt finalize the contract is b/c King wanted all the rights and royalties to the fight after it was over and Jones would only get royalties from the proceeds for 1 year. Meaning if it became a huge deal, like the 'thrilla in Manilla' or the 'rumble in the jungle' and there were books and movies about it Roy would only see whatever money it made for the first year after the fight and King would get all the proceeds from everything else it ever made for the rest of his life.

What kind of crap is that, what the hell gives Don King the right to leach of this mans legacy?

Anyway, I dont know all the details to the contract but I know Roy wasnt budging and the heat was turning to King b/c he might blow the deal so my money is on King budging.

Finally, on to the fight. I think Roy will win in a decision. No way he's KOing someone who outweighs him by 40lbs, but his awsome speed and superiour ring generalship will help him to victory. It probably wont be a spectacular fight but Im just glad he is finally fighting a worthy opponent, he only had to move up 5 divisions from where he started.

Ryan_21

P.S. I know Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, and Virgil Hill were all worthy opponents that Roy beat, but he was/is so much ahead of the game he still dominated these guys and they were/are great fighters.

Ryan_21

Ed Miller
12-03-2002, 11:38 PM
Obviously... if Roy wins... then nobody can doubt him with a straight face anymore. If he loses.. the only thing it proves is that he isn't Superman... but others probably won't see it that way unfortunately.

Ryan_21
12-04-2002, 02:12 PM
I know what you mean, I think Roy has a lot more to lose than win by taking this fight. If he wins everyone will say, "sure he won, he's the best fighter ever, we always new that." But, if he loses...

Ryan_21