PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Dr. Phil?

LSUfan1
05-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Funny stuff.

Some guy sold his business to play poker, and now his wife's mom is paying their mortgage.

Dr. Phil is grilling this guy hard, and he is giving every cliche in the book. You have to lose while you learn, its not gambling, etc. etc. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KKbluff
05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
LOL! That once again proves Dr. Phil doesnt know what he's talking about. Funny to see how niave he is on many of the topics he addresses..

Wyers
05-16-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL! That once again proves Dr. Phil doesnt know what he's talking about. Funny to see how niave he is on many of the topics he addresses..

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy some good Dr. Phil bashing as much of the next guy, but I'm not sure how this post supports your claim that he is naive.

It is "the guy" who is spouting off the cliches and trying to justify the fact that you can make a living off of being a terrible poker player.

Dr. Phil is merely handing him his ass.

KKbluff
05-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Dr. Phil asks Shane if he thinks his poker playing is a problem.

"I do not think it's a problem," he replies.

"I do," Tammy says.

"Do you think it's a problem, dad?" Dr. Phil asks David.

"I do," he says. "If he's spending three hours a night [playing poker], I think he should be studying or involved in social activities."

"And you don't think it's a problem?" Dr. Phil asks Diane. "You know he's playing for cash, right?"

"I think he did that on one occasion is my understanding," she says.

Shane only put $50 in his online account and played for money one time, and says he won $150 online and $75 playing with his friends. Dr. Phil asks him, "Do you want to be a professional player?"

"It's not my main goal, but it'd be nice," Shane replies.

Dr. Phil explains his definition of a compulsion or addiction. "If it's to the point that it's interfering with your life — you should be working, you should be studying, you should be parenting — places that you need to spend your time, but yet you're pulled to this ... Then that's a compulsion. That's an addiction and something that you need to stop," he says. "And you don't think it's interfering with school, work, productivity?"

"No," Shane says.

Tammy disagrees. "I know how tough it is to move, to make friends and fit in. I just see that Shane is spending that time that he could be doing that, becoming more social, meeting new people. He's choosing to be almost secluded in playing poker," she explains.

"You've heard my definition of compulsion or addiction. Does that make sense?" Dr. Phil asks Shane.

"Yeah," Shane replies

krazyace5
05-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Dr. Phil explains his definition of a compulsion or addiction. "If it's to the point that it's interfering with your life — you should be working, you should be studying, you should be parenting — places that you need to spend your time, but yet you're pulled to this ... Then that's a compulsion. That's an addiction and something that you need to stop," he says. "And you don't think it's interfering with school, work, productivity?"

Sounds like my job but I guess you'd call it an involuntary compulsion or addiction. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M.B.E.
05-16-2005, 06:33 PM
"All the girls wanted to marry a Jones boy." What's that supposed to mean?

Aside from her attitude, the guy must be a big fish to lose $20K.

LSUfan1
05-18-2005, 09:13 AM
I don't know if anyone actually watched this, but it was quite funny. Apparently the guy was in a family business and doing really well until quitting to "learn to become a poker pro".

Months later he lost all of his savings, and his wife was borrowing money to pay the bills.

It takes time to become an expert poker player as many on here can attest to, but this guy was a moron. Probably the number one reason Dr. Phil picked this guy as his poster boy!

silkyslim
05-18-2005, 09:31 AM
did he mention his alias? buddy list!

Coolers
05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"All the girls wanted to marry a Jones boy." What's that supposed to mean?

Aside from her attitude, the guy must be a big fish to lose $20K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones usually refers to the figurative "neighbours" who have everything you don't.