PDA

View Full Version : definition of "kill" please

butters
12-03-2002, 05:12 PM
from reading the holdem forums, i've seen several references to a "kill" or "kill game", but i haven't seen it defined anywhere. if someone could help me out, i'd appreciate it. thx.

Homer
12-03-2002, 05:57 PM
You may be able to find what you are looking for here:

Poker Dictionary (http://www.planetpoker.com/dictionary/)

-- Homer

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-03-2002, 06:39 PM
a "kill" is a temporary increase in the betting limits triggered by a specific result of a prior hand.

In Omaha8, for example 5/10 kill at $100, means 5/10 stakes unless a pot of $100 or greater is scooped (won by one person). The next hand, the limits are 10/20 (though the blinds do not change).

Andy B
12-04-2002, 12:16 AM
A kill is a blind raise. Some games use a kill as part of their structures, and that's the way you'll usually see the term used in these parts. In a kill game, if someone wins a pot (or pots) of a certain size, he must post a "kill," and the stakes increase for the next hand. The rules of the game might require someone who scoops a pot over a certain size to post a kill, or they might require someone who has won two pots in a row to post a kill. In a full-kill game, the stakes double, and in a half-kill game, they increase by (you guessed it) 50%. The killer acts in turn and has the option to raise.

As an example, my local room has a $10/20 Omaha/8 game with a half-kill that I've been known to play in now and again. If a player scoops a pot over $100, he must post a $15 blind and the stakes go to $15/30. If the killer is in the blinds, he only posts $15; he doesn't have to post his usual blind in addition to the kill.

ChipWrecked
12-04-2002, 05:37 PM
In my $4/$8 half-kill game, kill is triggered by the same player winning consecutive pots. BB remains $4, but it is now $6/$12 to play.