PDA

View Full Version : Help: Big Blind Defense vs Raise From Steal Position (Game Plan)

That guy
05-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Standard situation... A 'typical' player raises your BB from steal position and yes, you suspect a steal... but assume his stats are not out of line.. Assume PFR stat is 9 or 10...

In the BB, you have a hand range like: KT-K7 QT-Q8 JT-J8 T9-T8... (non Ace hands)...

You call from your BB...

Now an Ace or King (assume Ace flops for the King hands above and assume A or K flops for the hands above that don't have a King) flops but YOU MAKE 2nd pair. (ie, you have QJ and flop comes A Q x or K Q x). Also, you can assume you have 66-88 vs a flop like Q J 2 or K J 3 or A J 4... in this case there are 2 likely 'playing zone' overcards.

The point is that you are way ahead or way behind and you are out of position... What is your default game plan with your 2nd pair?? Again, assume the opponent has stats that look standard player-ish... aggressive guy but not overly so. assume medium VP$IP stats...

-----

Related point, say the flop comes rags and likely misses you both... how often are you trying to go to showdown with Ace or King high vs a steal attempt from a 'typical'???

Can anyone point to a good section of a book on this???

Pokey
05-16-2005, 01:21 PM
If you "suspect a steal," then his PFR% doesn't apply here. You need to look at his stealing stats instead.

Against a steal-attempt with second pair or pocket pair when the board has an A or a K, I'd probably check-raise the flop to see if he three-bets me. My hand has showdown value, and I'm not wanting to just throw it in the garbage here; still, a K (or worse, an A) is a very scary flop card for a middle pair, and just because a player was attempting a steal doesn't mean he has nothing; most players only steal with decent hands (not great, but top-third or so).

If my check-raise is called, I lead any turn. If the turn is called, I lead any river. Bets are for value.

If my check-raise is reraised, or if I encounter resistance somewhere further along, I have to evaluate on a board-by-board and opponent-by-opponent basis:
- The more aggressive he is, the more likely I am to call down to the showdown.
- The more safe the board is for my hand, the more likely I am to call down to the showdown.
- Any backdoor draws improve the chance that I call at least one or two more streets, if not a river bet.

Defending blinds successfully is a damned hard thing to do. Just remember that heads-up, any pair is a strong hand.

That guy
05-16-2005, 02:05 PM
I have been employing a similar strategy... when hit the board, I check-raise and lead...

The problem is when the opponent smooth calls the check-raise and raises the turn... now we are in a really tough spot..

The other problem is when both miss the flop but you actually have best hand with your K or Q high or a bad ace like A4...

So the nature of blind defense is:

1) You need to hit the flop to feel comfortable
2) Even when you hit the flop, you are very often beat if you get raised
3) But folding to raises encourages bluffs & semi-bluffs
4) Folding a medium strenght hand when heads-up sucks