PDA

View Full Version : Laws banning interstate shipment of wine held unconstitutional

05-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Yay.

Drink up (http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/16/scotus.wine.shipments.ap/index.html)

Rhone
05-16-2005, 12:03 PM
This is a good step in the right direction. However, state regulations currently fall into two categories: some states ban wine deliveries outright, and some ban deliveries only from out-of-state producers. As I understand it, the SC decision only strikes down the laws falling within the second category. States can still ban home delivery of wine if they want.

05-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah that's right ... the link should explain better than I could do in a post. States now will either ban all shipments or allow all shipments. My feeling is that it's more likely states will allow shipments to continue rather than banning them outright, but that's just an idiot's opinion.

slickpoppa
05-16-2005, 12:08 PM
That is correct. A state could still ban home delivery of wine, but they would have to ban home delivery of all wine, both in-state and out-of-state.

Rhone
05-16-2005, 12:12 PM
I think it will heavily depend on the political strength of the local wine industry. I don't have high hopes here in Maryland...

RunDownHouse
05-16-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm hoping this bodes well for the issue of beer wholesalers also currently before the Court.

Stu Pidasso
05-16-2005, 12:21 PM
States can still regulate who the alcohol gets sold too. I suppose they can just pass laws that say the winery has to positively identify the age of the individual purchasing the wine and must do so for each and every sale. They may even specify that only the individual who purchased the wine can recieve the shipment. The sale of wine over the internet will remain legal, but logistically impractible.

Stu

05-16-2005, 01:17 PM
If they want to make it difficult, then they can just ban it. It's just that they've got to do it for everyone, not just out-of-state wineries. Living in the NY metro area, I figured that the people here wouldn't support an outright ban (or anything that resembles a ban), meaning that the market would be open.