PDA

View Full Version : Raising from the Big Blind

AmarilloJim1
05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Hello All,

I was hoping for some opinions about this:

You're in the big blind with AK suited or unsuited.

3 People limp into the pot: One from early position, One from middle position, and one from late position.

Would you raise in this situation? Why or why not?

Thanks,

- Jim

Nyack
05-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Raise, checking here is really bad.

You have a huge equity edge so you raise for value.

Sarge85
05-16-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise, checking here is really bad.

You have a huge equity edge so you raise for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Play good post flop.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Marquis
05-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Most people here will raise much lesser hands than that. personally I generally draw the line between AJo and AJs.

Edit: I'm actually usually raising ATs here but not AJo. I dunno why, it's a comfort thing for me.

AmarilloJim1
05-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I understand that point of view, but how about this idea.

You have about a 33% chance of catching an ace or a king on the flop, which would improve your hand. If you don't hit the flop, you are the big blind, so you are first to act. Then I suppose you would check, then fold if someone bet?

Sarge85
05-16-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You have about a 33% chance of catching an ace or a king on the flop, which would improve your hand. If you don't hit the flop, you are the big blind, so you are first to act. Then I suppose you would check, then fold if someone bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you'd check-see.

Alot will depend on the texture of the flop, who bet, who called, etc.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

@bsolute_luck
05-16-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the great words of SSH: "get the money before others know the flop will miss them"...or something like that /images/graemlins/laugh.gif raise because you most likely have the best hand. reevaluate on the flop. (i struggle with "autobet" syndrom /images/graemlins/blush.gif )

tiltaholic
05-16-2005, 03:18 PM
hi & welcome.

why would you not raise preflop?

in microlimit loose passive games, we raise because we likely have the best hand.

mlb3zr
05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
raise, always, no matter the number of limpers, because at this moment I am very, very likely to have the best hand. I also raise because, despite being OOP, initiative or momentum or whatever you want to call it is important. after the raise, it becomes easy to push your opponents around postflop, and you can often take it down on the flop even if you don't improve. not that I am advocating always following up a pfr with leading out; that certainly depends on number of opponents, reads, flop cards, etc., etc. but as a general rule, I find it is far easier to play postflop after showing aggression preflop.

dvashun
05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise, always, no matter the number of limpers, because at this moment I am very, very likely to have the best hand. I also raise because, despite being OOP, initiative or momentum or whatever you want to call it is important. after the raise, it becomes easy to push your opponents around postflop, and you can often take it down on the flop even if you don't improve. not that I am advocating always following up a pfr with leading out; that certainly depends on number of opponents, reads, flop cards, etc., etc. but as a general rule, I find it is far easier to play postflop after showing aggression preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. And the rest of the board. This is auto-raise preflop. Not raising here is like checking the nuts on the river on the button.

Quercus
05-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Check if you don't like money.

However, if you do like money you should raise.

You're almost always a strong favorite to win - which is a great time to be looking to get more money into the pot.

mlb3zr
05-16-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What SHE said. And the rest of the board. This is auto-raise preflop. Not raising here is like checking the nuts on the river on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post /images/graemlins/wink.gif

wyoak
05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
krishanleong
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: getting married June 4th

mlb3zr

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: getting married June 4th!

2+2=4?