PDA

View Full Version : Value from AA in NLHE?

Kuso
05-16-2005, 11:26 AM
I have a dirty little secret that I want to share with you -- I'm fascinated by stories about cracked aces. AA is considered "the best hand" in NL Hold 'em, and we all get juiced when we find it in our hole cards. Yet, I read and hear a lot of "bad beat" stories about cracked pocket rockets. Some people even swear off AA as being cursed. What's going wrong here? Why aren't we building up huge chip stacks with this so-called best hand?

My speculation is that it has to do with misplaced expectations -- that is, players expect high value from AA every time they get it. Yet, this is not a realistic expectation. As such, I am writing this post as a starting point for a discussion about what to expect from pocket aces.

Some caveats:
- This is not a strategy piece, but a discussion of where value is attained when playing AA.
- This is my opinion based on my experiences in lower limit games (home and internet).
- The chart assumes a very straightforward playing style by Hero -- your mileage may vary.
- Some plays by Villain not necessarily "good" ones, but they are made sometimes.
- I am sure that different playing contexts may change the expected value and correct strategy substantially. That being said, I think that the overall idea of the chart is sound.
- Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere in books or forums. I did a quick search on 2+2 that turned up nothing. If it has been discussed, please point it out to me.
- This is a very rough draft, so criticism is expected and welcome.

This expected value chart relates to lower-level NL games, including SnGs ($1-$30), MTTs ($1-$30), and cash games with limited buy-in or capped exposure ($50 max buy-in... maybe $100). I would like to hear what differences, if any, occur at different levels within these ranges or above. This chart also assumes that Hero is not playing in all-in-junkie freerolls (at least not the early stages thereof) or is in the stage of tournament that warrants all-in play or fold (e.g., late stages of tourneys when the blinds are ridiculously high).

Explanation of symbols and abbreviations Pre-flop

T&R = Turn and River
LOSS = Hero loses money bet due to folding or losing showdown
$ = Blinds only, maybe a few limpers or small raises. Usually happens when everyone folds early.
$$ = 1 or more people call 3x-7x BB bets, but give no action later (e.g., because they missed the flop)
$$$ = Similar to $$, but a few more decent-sized bets are made and called before everyone folds. This might happen if someone thinks they have a strong hand (e.g., top two pair) but quickly get the feeling that they are beaten by trips.
$$$$ = Good action pre-flop, good action post-flop, but then fizzles on turn or river. Common for aggressive opponents playing drawing hands who get punished for drawing but get out of the hand when they don't hit.
$$$$$ = An all-in from a medium-stack plus the possibility of a little extra action from people who eventually fold.
$$$$$$ = Massive amounts of action by one or more player with medium stacks (for two or more players) or large stacks (for one or more players) and are likely all-in. They think they have the stone cold nuts but don't.

***** Hero has AA *****

Pre-flop

Situation 1: Hero goes all-in either straight away or when raised by an opponent.
<font color="green">No callers</font> = $
<font color="green">One or more callers</font> = $$$$$ (80%-85%), LOSS (15%-20%)

Situation 2: Hero makes 3x-7x BB raise.
<font color="green">Only callers </font> = See Post-Flop

Post-Flop

All of the numbered scenarios assume that there are not 3 straight cards or flush cards on the flop. The last scenario covers this topic.

Scenario 1

Rags on the flop, Hero wants drawing hands to pay and bigger hands to reveal themselves via reraises.

Scenario 1A: Hero draws blanks on the flop and bets or raises enough to force out drawing hands and see where he's at.
<font color="green">No callers </font> = $$
<font color="green">Only callers </font>: T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$$$, T&amp;R help drawing hands = LOSS
<font color="green">Small reraise </font> = This situation has too many strategic contextual variables that influence the value, so I am going to take the easy way out and not give it one. I welcome any and all ideas. LOSS is a distinct possibility via either a small set or a drawing hand. A big win is not likely unless hand improves on the T&amp;R.
<font color="green">Big reraise</font> = LOSS (fold, as reraiser probably hit a set or better)

Scenario 1B: Hero draws blanks on flop and slow-plays for a check-raise.
<font color="green">Only checks</font>: T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$ or $$$ (only when drawing hands are grossly misplayed), T&amp;R help drawing hands = LOSS
<font color="green">Villain weak raise, Hero solid reraise, Villain folds </font> = $$
<font color="green">Villain weak raise, Hero solid reraise, Villain calls</font> : T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$$$, T&amp;R help drawing hands = LOSS (assumes that a set was not slow-played)
<font color="green">Villain weak raise, Hero solid reraise, Villain bets big (likely all-in) </font> = LOSS (fold due to represented set or better)
<font color="green">Villain strong raise, Hero folds </font> = LOSS (again, Villain representing a set)
<font color="green">Villain strong raise, Hero solid reraise, Villain folds</font> = $$$$
<font color="green">Villain strong raise, Hero solid reraise, Villain calls</font>: T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$$$, T&amp;R help drawing hands = LOSS (likely a drawing hand... a made hand would reraise to get Hero's chips in the middle)
<font color="green">Villain strong raise, Hero solid reraise, Villain bets big (likely all-in) </font> = LOSS (Hero folds or is likely to lose showdown)
<font color="green">Villain strong raise, Hero calls</font> : No help on T&amp;R = LOSS, set or better on T&amp;R = $$$$ (I don't recommend this strategy, but people do play it)

Scenario 2

Hero flops a set, wants to get drawing hands out of the hand, but wants to extract money from weaker made hands (e.g., two pair or smaller set).

Scenario 2A: Hero flops a set and bets or raises enough to force out drawing hands and see where he's at.
<font color="green">No callers</font> = $$
<font color="green">Only callers</font>: T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$$$, T&amp;R help drawing hands = LOSS
<font color="green">Villain reraises, Hero calls</font> = Hero doesn't do this so that he avoids getting drawn out without extracting maximum chips from the Villain.
<font color="green">Villain reraises, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain folds</font> = $$$
<font color="green">Villain reraises, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain calls</font> = $$$$, $$$$$, or LOSS (if a draw hits) (Villain probably has a small set, two pair or a drawing hand and likely misplayed it.)

Scenario 2B: Hero flops a set and slow-plays for a check-raise.
<font color="green">Only checks</font> = T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$$ or $$$$, T&amp;R help drawing hands = LOSS
<font color="green">Villain bets, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain folds</font> = $$$
<font color="green">Villain bets, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain calls</font> = $$$$$ with a small chance of LOSS if a poorly played drawing hand hits or if a smaller set spikes the fourth card.

Scenario 3

Hero hits a monster and is afraid of nothing. The only goal is to extract the most amount of money from the other players.

Scenario 3A: Hero flops a boat or better and bets relatively small, sweetening the pot and hoping that losing drawing hands hit.
<font color="green">No callers</font> = $$ (and a lot of tears from the Hero)
<font color="green">Only callers</font>: T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$$ (note that this is NOT $$$$ due to the fact that the bet is not at the level to scare drawing hands away), T&amp;R help drawing hands = $$$$$ or $$$$$$
<font color="green">Villain reraises, Hero calls</font> = $$$$, $$$$$, or $$$$$$ depending on how many people are involved and whether Villain figures out that he is being slow played.
<font color="green">Villain reraises, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain folds</font> = $$$$
<font color="green">Villain reraises, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain calls</font> = $$$$$ or $$$$$$

Scenario 3B: Hero flops a boat or better and slow-plays for a check-raise.
<font color="green">Only checks</font>: T&amp;R don't help drawing hands = $$$, T&amp;R help drawing hands = $$$$$ or $$$$$$
<font color="green">Villain raises, Hero calls</font> = $$$$, $$$$$, or $$$$$$ depending on how many people are involved and whether Villain figures out that he is being slow played.
<font color="green">Villain raises, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain folds</font> = $$$$
<font color="green">Villain raises, Hero bets big (likely all-in), Villain calls</font> = $$$$$ or $$$$$$

Flush and Straight scenarios

Three cards to a straight or flush hit the board on the flop. How to play this situation is more of a strategy discussion, but suffice to say that if a straight or flush is represented, the most common expected value of AA is LOSS. If a straight or flush is not represented post-flop, then see the above scenarios.

Discussion

Probabilities probably can be assigned to these outcomes to make it more informative. Based on my experience, I suggest the following:

- Most of the time AA unimproved pays off $ or $$.
- Don't try to showdown with unimproved AA. If you do showdown , then don't be surprised when they are cracked. If you win the showdown, it most likely means that you didn't bet enough along the way to scare the Villain or that the Villain played desperately (i.e., put his tournament standing at risk in hope of a draw AND a bluff or weak hand by Hero).
- Improved AA might get a little more ($$ or $$$) than unimproved AA in the majority of cases.
- If AA doesn't improve on the flop, then LOSS is not unlikely. Limiting the value of this loss is a key to success.
- It is extremely important to get drawing hands out of the pot ASAP, as it will likely cost you a big LOSS if they hit. Make them pay to see the cards, but you would rather they fold. In certain situations it may be a good idea to bait drawing hands into the pot so that you get plenty of chips if they miss, but this is really more of a point of strategy. I am assuming that your goal is to achieve maximum gain while taking minimal risk (this is, of course, just one way of playing).
- Many playes seem to undervalue the possibility of drawing hands (esp. straights) on the board. Some people play low-value hands (e.g., 2-5 suited in early position), but make out like bandits when they hit. Getting these people out is one good reason to make that pre-flop raise sting a bit, even if it scares everyone else off, too. A small win is better than a being on the receiving end of a big suck out.
- While relatively rare, the big chips get cashed on AA when it is improved AND another player gets second best hand. This seems to happen most often when AAA beat top two pair or trips and when boats with aces beat the weaker boats (they almost always do) or other made hands.
- The only other time you can expect a big payoff ($$$$$ or better) from AA is if you play the all-in lottery pre-flop.

The last two points strike me as being where many players have misaligned expectations. They want $$$$ or better every time they get AA, but I would say that the $$$$ or better result is relatively atypical.

If possible, I would like to hear from pros or high-level players on how this type of scale would be different at their level. My speculation is that you don't get big payoffs as often, certainly not by two players. Another is that the LOSS value of a pro is likely smaller percentage-wise than even a good low-level player. That being said, AA could just play completely different for pros (perhaps the cards don't really even matter that much in NL).

Again, all comments are welcome.

Also, this is my first post. Apologies for the length -- I usually don' write this much.

gomberg
05-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Good thoughtful post - I don't have time to respond in the way I'd like to.

I'm mainly a 5-10 NL player online (once in a while live). AA is by far my most profitable hand (I'm a winning player as well).

My most profitable situation is by far preflop. Not misplaying AA preflop is the main reason for my success with this hand. If I sense strength, and have the right image, I'll get most of my money in preflop (or give the other guy implied odds of less than 7:1). If I give low implied odds, the rest of the hand takes care of itself - it's automatic. No tough decisions unless the opponent is very readable. This also means overbet raising out of the blinds or an UTG limp-reraise if the money is too deep. And as always, this raise shouldn't always be AA or KK from you.

If I do give implied odds - then it's like any other hand. Play it well, maximize money in the pot if you're certain other player is drawing or has a good but not great hand, and be able to get away. Exercise some pot control. If you do flop something w/ AA, there's always cards that can beat you unless you're full, so try to get max money in there and make sure you don't give a free card to gut-draws that you'll lose your stack to.

I'd still say the main function of AA is to get in a ton of money preflop vs. QQ/KK/AK/JJ-22. Hopefully you're playing with people who are capable of making that mistake against you. Don't be afraid to bet big with your good hands.

Kuso
05-17-2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the reply, Gomberg. If this ever gets updated, I will emphasize the importance of pre-flop play. It seems to be an important point that your opponent needs to have strength if you hope to get a lot of chips out of him. If there is no strength in opponents' hands, then expectations should be lowered.

I do have a follow-up question, though. If you don't mind disclosing this kind of information, I wonder if you can tell us when you lose the most money wit AA. Here are some possibilities:

1) Lots of chips in pre-flop and you get outdrawn (it happens).

2) A drawing hand that won't fold with -EV hits on the T&amp;R.

3) A better hand takes your when your aces don't improve on the flop. They bet big and you reraise or call.

Did I miss any other relatively common losses of money when holding AA? I guess 1 and 2 are the most common outcomes at your level, but they pay off in the long run. What about 3? I see a lot of beginners call the Villain's big bets (all-in or heading that way) with unimproved aces -- calling it weak-tight if you fold to a big raise or reraise. Yet they often get beat by two pair, trips, or (occassionaly) drawing hands.

This "weak-tight" theory is interesting to me. Why do they think this? On the "Beating Party 10+1" thread, someone said that plenty of people will go all-in with top pair any kicker. In this type of context, is it weak tight to fold unimproved AA? What about in other contexts? At 5/10 NL cash games,I guess you don't get a lot of people going all-in with a smallish top pair (like queens or jacks).

I realize that this is more of a strategy question, but I think it relates a lot to a significant increase in expected losses (thereby negating lots of profits) -- I see a lot of people getting beat and losing a lot of money with situations like 3. Although they call it a bad beat, it doesn't seem like one to me -- I would call it bad play.

Again, any and all comments are welcome.

NYCNative
05-17-2005, 02:45 AM
I'm a relative novice but I win more than I lose at the stakes I play. In those games and also in higher-stakes games I observe, I've found that Aces lose in three situations. In order of frequency:

1) They lose most often when a player gets married to them. Doyle Brunson has said numerous times that he'd rather see a suited 78 than rockets because he's made a lot more and lost a lot less with the connectors. Why? because even a good player can get married to them and play them. It's almost never right to fold Aces pre-flop but there are cases where it is a damn good idea to fold them after the flop.

2) Aces are very often misplayed.. People see Aces and they get cute. People saw Teddy KGB slow-play his Aces and take Matt Damon's entire life savings and decide that's how to play them. They're the ones who will get cracked.

Hold 'Em is a game of very small edges and the moment you do not exploit an edge or make your opponent pay for the privilege of trying to overcome your edge with a fortuitous card, you are making a terrible mistake.

In a game where the worst hand (7-2) will take out Aces almost 130 times out of 1,000, a game where Aces in a four-way pot are going to lose more than half the time, you cannot succumb to the temptation to slow-play them.

Some complain that the only way you make any money with Aces is if you disguise them or get a few callers. This will potentially allow an opponent to get a hand that allows them to invest money which you will then take away, but too often what you do is allow your opponents to crack your Aces.

People forget the adage: It's better to win a small pot than lose a big one.

Finally, there's reason number three:

3) You just get unlucky sometimes. You can play your aces perfectly and get out-flopped by someone who also played their hand correctly. It happens. Sometimes it's to a moron who should have never been there, but often enough it's the guy whose hand was strong enough to justify him thinking he had the best hand and a fortuitous board gives him a better five. That's why it's called gambling.

Jinx230
05-17-2005, 10:55 AM
AA was not misplayed in the movie rounders - KGB flopped trip Aces on the flop. There was only the flush draw I believe - no straight draw. Slowplaying there and giving your opponent a ~35% to catch is not a terrible move - plus, the odds to catch a boat are there - yes, and he did, and it was movie, I know.

four2flush
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Is there a time when you should fold AA?
Real life B&amp;M hand....
Turbo Tourney, Structured blinds first 14 hands,
Hero first pos holds AA and raises
villian 1 reraises and is AI
villian II reraises and is Chip leader
villiam II reraises (capped) and is AI
SB/BB fold
Back to hero, nervously calls! leaving 1 chip
Hero Goes AI on flop
was this the absolute right call with sooo many callers/raisers?
<font color="white"> </font>
results below:

nobody improved and Hero takes out 2 players and is new chip leader.
Hero goes to restroom to change pants!! LOL